This team is NOT going to win the MAC Tournament

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: This team is NOT going to win the MAC Tournament

Postby BGSU33 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:56 pm

BG is now riding the longest losing streak of the entire season - into the MAC Tournament. Talk about playing your poorest at the worst time of the year. As if BG needed any additional hurdles going into the imposible-to-win tournament. SMH...
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:15 pm

Globetrotter wrote:It wouldn't surpise a person here if they lost their last 4 games of this season.

They're now only one loss away from doing just that.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:22 pm

bgsufalcon24 wrote:Anybody else here think 33’s original post isn’t aging very well? :-D

I'd say it's not only aging extremely well, but it's almost 100% ripe. It is now officially time for BG to crumble in the MAC Tournament, again. BG hasn't won a single MAC Tournament in the event's 39-year history, and it's about to become 0-40. I've been following BG for the past 28 years and know all too well how this is going to end. With a loss in Cleveland.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Matty B » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:37 pm

Relax. Buffalo hit a bunch of tough shots and all their free throws down the stretch, otherwise we're feeling very different about this team.

All we gotta do is take care of business against (presumably) east Bancroft high school on Thursday night and we will be right in the thick of it. I think turner is due for a game where he just puts up 35 and we advance.

We have beaten all but 2 teams in this conference this year. Definitely not time to give up on this bunch.
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Postby Globetrotter » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:42 pm

Chandler seems to aggressively attack the basket and be able to finish instead of standing around the three point line every time to chuck a three.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby mbenecke » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:11 pm

Our potential path in Cleveland is Toledo, Ball State, Akron. We’re 5-1 against those opponents this year.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Matty B » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:34 pm

mbenecke wrote:Our potential path in Cleveland is Toledo, Ball State, Akron. We’re 5-1 against those opponents this year.

I think we got a REALLY good draw. Kent is the only team that scares me on our side of the bracket, and they might not even get to Cleveland. They lost to EMU by 21 the last time they played.
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Postby BGSU33 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:09 am

BG brings the MAC's longest current losing streak into the MAC Tournament. Hard to imagine that three games ago BG was headed to Oxford to try and secure the #1 seed, and instead has been reeling ever since.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:05 am

I don’t like the thought of playing Toledo again, but I do feel like we’re the better team.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:39 am

mbenecke wrote:I don’t like the thought of playing Toledo again, but I do feel like we’re the better team.

I actually think ut is one of our best matchups. One of our greatest strengths is the ability to roll a second lineup of guys that can score (Mattis, Diggs, Frye if he's not starting). UT is simply undermanned with only 3-4 guys they can count on.

It's Akron, KSU, and Buffalo that scare me...they all have more athletes than we do.

At this point I don't really like our odds of stringing 3 games together no matter what, but I'd rather start that stretch against UT than some of the other possibilities. Of we cannot figure out a way to play in the paint we're effed no matter who it is. This team is simply not good enough inside to be lazy. We showed piss poor defensive effort early in the year and it's what made us look mediocre for the first half of the season. We started to finally play defense in the MAC season and it built our lead in the conference. Last 3 games we've gone back to being lazy and giving up a s**t ton of points.

Plowden is a really good defender, but a bit undersized inside. We don't have anything worth speaking about to guard the 5 spot, and that's a problem because they're also all awful helping. The only way this team wins is if Zeigler, Fields, and Turner guard their asses off on the perimeter with Plowden able to take his man out of the game as well. If teams can beat our perimeter defenders one on one it gets ugly because we have nothing on the interior. I know we had concerns about the center position going into the year but a lot of that was because we didn't figure Swingle would gain Eligibility. It really boggles the mind that we have 3 guys playing center and none of them do anything worthwhile on the court; they don't shoot well, they don't rebound well, they don't defend either interior or on the perimeter. At this point I feel like we shouldn't even be playing a center half the time...none of them deserve division one minutes.

We've shown some offensive issues of late as well, but really it's been the defense (especially inside) causing the problems the last 3 games. Start playing better defense and it will lead to some easy offense as well. I just don't know what our path is to play that better defense on the inside...
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby guest44 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:55 am

What is amazing to me how this staff, with those guards, used 4 scholarships to replace Wiggins, and none of them are worth minutes. Bowling Green had all offseason to get a center who if nothing else could rebound and protect the rim. Instead they get Swingle, and he isn't even good enough to log a minute in the 2nd half of a game. How? You only knew for 3 seasons that Wiggins was going to graduate, and after last year, with what returned, knew it was that much more of a priority. Buffalo found Mballa. Ohio found Ogbanda. Neither is a exceptional, but plays a key role.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:46 pm

guest44 wrote:What is amazing to me how this staff, with those guards, used 4 scholarships to replace Wiggins, and none of them are worth minutes. Bowling Green had all offseason to get a center who if nothing else could rebound and protect the rim. Instead they get Swingle, and he isn't even good enough to log a minute in the 2nd half of a game. How? You only knew for 3 seasons that Wiggins was going to graduate, and after last year, with what returned, knew it was that much more of a priority. Buffalo found Mballa. Ohio found Ogbonda. Neither is a exceptional, but plays a key role.

Excellent point and one I echoed in the offseason. Center was going to be our biggest question mark heading into this season and we could have filled one spot with a grad transfer or Juco to go with what this team brought back and was expected and picked to do. We did not. Your two examples of what UB and OH did with Buffalo's MBalla and Ohio's Ogbonda are perfect examples, and both have really come on as the season has gone on for both teams and are now forces for their teams. Huger was extremely high on Swingle but he's simply getting abused out there. He's simply too big (not in terms of height) and not nearly quick enough to defend or get down the floor like BG's opposing teams' bigs are. Ogbonda is defending, running the floor and can step out and hit threes. Last night vs BG, Mballa was putting the ball on the floor like a guard, evening dribbling the ball on a break from half court and finished at the rim, and was also spinning off the dribble and scoring. He's also great at blocking shots and throwing it down hard. We have nothing up front that comes close to that. I watched Mattos against Ohio a few weeks ago miss not one, not two, but three bunnies from right at the rim in the first half during our drought, and two were uncontested shots. You can't be that soft, that close, and you certainly can't miss that shot, especially that many times. Against Miami last week Mattos opened the game defending a Miami big almost entirely beside him in the post. And I'm not talking about trying to play off the guy's shoulder to take away his move/drive (which is what he was trying to do), he was literally playing off the guy's side trying to defend him that way and the dude from Miami realized it and simply turned the other way and had an uncontested score. While Swingle may move well for his size, he's still too big, it's majorly hampering him to the point where we can't even play him any type of minutes because it instantly puts us at a disadvantage. We're really hurting up front and have next to no answers when trying to match up and we're essentially being forced to play small with Sierra at the 5 in a move to try anything we can there right now.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:33 pm

BGSU33 wrote:
guest44 wrote:What is amazing to me how this staff, with those guards, used 4 scholarships to replace Wiggins, and none of them are worth minutes. Bowling Green had all offseason to get a center who if nothing else could rebound and protect the rim. Instead they get Swingle, and he isn't even good enough to log a minute in the 2nd half of a game. How? You only knew for 3 seasons that Wiggins was going to graduate, and after last year, with what returned, knew it was that much more of a priority. Buffalo found Mballa. Ohio found Ogbonda. Neither is a exceptional, but plays a key role.

Excellent point and one I echoed in the offseason. Center was going to be our biggest question mark heading into this season and we could have filled one spot with a grad transfer or Juco to go with what this team brought back and was expected and picked to do. We did not. Your two examples of what UB and OH did with Buffalo's MBalla and Ohio's Ogbonda are perfect examples, and both have really come on as the season has gone on for both teams and are now forces for their teams. Huger was extremely high on Swingle but he's simply getting abused out there. He's simply too big (not in terms of height) and not nearly quick enough to defend or get down the floor like BG's opposing teams' bigs are. Ogbonda is defending, running the floor and can step out and hit threes. Last night vs BG, Mballa was putting the ball on the floor like a guard, evening dribbling the ball on a break from half court and finished at the rim, and was also spinning off the dribble and scoring. He's also great at blocking shots and throwing it down hard. We have nothing up front that comes close to that. I watched Mattos against Ohio a few weeks ago miss not one, not two, but three bunnies from right at the rim in the first half during our drought, and two were uncontested shots. You can't be that soft, that close, and you certainly can't miss that shot, especially that many times. Against Miami last week Mattos opened the game defending a Miami big almost entirely beside him in the post. And I'm not talking about trying to play off the guy's shoulder to take away his move/drive (which is what he was trying to do), he was literally playing off the guy's side trying to defend him that way and the dude from Miami realized it and simply turned the other way and had an uncontested score. While Swingle may move well for his size, he's still too big, it's majorly hampering him to the point where we can't even play him any type of minutes because it instantly puts us at a disadvantage. We're really hurting up front and have next to no answers when trying to match up and we're essentially being forced to play small with Sierra at the 5 in a move to try anything we can there right now.

And I find it tough to believe there are players worse than Sierra playing double digits minutes in the MAC. He seriously does nothing well.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby TommyG » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:45 pm

I agree chances are slim for this team to win the tournament, I do think they are one of 6 or so teams that could win it. There aren’t any dominant teams, so it wouldn’t be a shock to see anyone in the top 6 win it. Huger has to find a way to get the team to compete and they have to hit shots. If they do those 2 things they could find themselves in the mix.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby BleedOrange » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:52 pm

Correct, there is no dominant team in the MAC this year.

This is a year we could see a down seed like Kent or Buffalo win it all. Miami and OU are also 2 teams that could make noise. As for NIU, the overall talent level is flat but they have a beast in Eugene Norman, who may be MAC POTY.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops