This team is NOT going to win the MAC Tournament

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

This team is NOT going to win the MAC Tournament

Postby BGSU33 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:58 pm

Mark my words, no way in hell is this team winning the MAC Tournament and going to the NCAA Tournament. Not, a, chance. The tournament in New Jersey exposed this team big time, and Kent State showed just how much better it is than BG as well. BG came into this season very overrated. It made sense to be the popular pick to win the MAC because BG went to the MAC Finals last year and returned a decent core from last year. But sorry, we're not winning the MAC. Despite knowing better from all the years of falling short, I admit, I fell in love with the preseason hype and should have know better. BG is the ONLY team in the MAC to NEVER, EVER win the MAC Tournament, and that isn't going to change this year. Not a chance. It's been 52 years since BG made the NCAA Tournament and that ridiculous drought is only going to get longer.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: This team is NOT going to win the MAC Tournament

Postby FalconTurf » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:15 am

I still like this team but they’re going to need much better defense, find their shot and find that guy that provides a spark when all is falling apart. If the NCAA drought ends this year it’s going to be one scrappy struggle because by no stretch of the imagination can this team roll over the conference even playing their best. I simply hope we see a top 4 regular season finish which gives the best opportunity in Cleveland and hope it comes together that one weekend.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BPardonMyTake » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:48 am

I’m still all in on this team, we all know what they’re capable of. We saw the potential in November outside of the Turnerless Nevada game and one bad stretch vs LSU. Comes down to whether or not Turner is actually 100% healthy and after tonight, I’m not sure about that.

Question: If Huger is still hell bent on starting a traditional 5, is it time to give swingle a legitimate chance? He’s struggled, yes, but hasn’t had the opportunity to get into any sort of rhythm. 3-5 minutes a game isn’t cutting it for a guy that not too long ago was supposed to be the missing piece to this team when he became eligible. Seems like he comes in and tries to do too much and more times than not just picks up a quick foul and heads right back to the bench. Give him a a chance to let the game come to him. We are getting Zero production from The post in every facet of the game. I say let him absorb a portion of Mattos’ minutes and see what happens. Swingle at least looks like he wants the ball in the post and off the roll. There are plenty of other issues currently, sure. But his lack of playing time has puzzled me for most of the season.
Class of '15. Former Townie---Come from a long line of Falcons.
BPardonMyTake
Egg
Egg

Postby Globetrotter » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:06 am

They rely too much on threes and just are not tough.

Other teams continue to be tough. We are not.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby guest44 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:05 am

I don’t disagree on Swingle, but it seems like most games he commits two fouls within 10 trips up and down the court. He does have some actual touch around the basket. However, Huger will not play anyone in the first half with two fouls regardless of whether they never will actually play in the 2nd half to foul out.

I also agree with the toughness thing. Bowling Green hasn’t played an actual road game in two months. Why? Every good MAC team over the years goes to tough environments to test themselves. They play real road games, and lots of them. I know that in large part helped Huger get his extension with horribly soft schedules and lots of home games vs borderline high schools. Want to develop some toughness? Win on the road. Instead this team sleep walked through games in a empty arena in Miami and a dump in Atlantic City. Those games develop nothing.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:44 am

This isn’t a threat, but I’ve kind of stopped caring. And I don’t think I’ll watch as much anymore. Two kids at home now. Lots to do, before I had to go out of my way to watch this team. I won’t do that for a team that either wins or loses because they make threes. That’s not good or fun basketball. That’s Rec league basketball.

I think ya pretty apparent what needs to change. We need to work on our half court game aggressively and Mattis-Chandler and Swingle need to play alot more than Mattos and Sierra.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby zete » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:56 am

Folks were extremely optimistic heading into the Kent game last night. This morning the reality of this BG team has set in - win and die with the three & BG doesn't have much underneath.
Have not had a big man like Len Matela for quite some time.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:05 am

This team didn’t need Len Matela. This team just needed someone to rebound, play a little defense, and protect the rim inside. Instead, we got more guards and no substitution patterns. See Dylan Frye post game last night about the non stop substitutes. He basically said as much. Eventually, Huger will find that Plowden is going to end up being his center by necessity.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Diemilkweed » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:25 am

IS it OK to finally say publicly that Frye simply isn't a very good shooter? He's got volume, but his % have always been bad. He's a senior now. IF he was actually a good shooter, he'd be hitting 40%+ from 3 instead of 30%.
Diemilkweed
Egg
Egg

Postby mbenecke » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:51 am

I refuse to be a prisoner of the moment. There are clear problems that need addressed, but I’m not giving up on the entire season yet.

And I just want to clarify, I’m not judging ANYONE for giving up on this team. There’s a lot to be discouraged about. You never want to lose by 18 on your home floor to a conference opponent - and we did just that.

There’s just something about the guys on this team that makes me feel like we’re going to bounce back in a major way.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:18 pm

Im not giving up. I just naturally stopped paying attention to the football team because of the nature of college football and how bad we were. I think it will just happen with the Basketball team too.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby BleedOrange » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:24 pm

Let's point out something obvious. Kent was EXTREMELY impressive last night. They were tough tough tough tough tough.

Another thing....we play soft. Look at our guys - none of them have impressive upper body strength. Diggs, JTurner, Frye, Fields, Zeigler, Plowden, Sierra <- all of these guys have noodly arms. We are very vulnerable to physical teams because of this. We have no presence in the interior because of this. Plowden and Sierra have no ability to establish domain inside of 10 feet. We can easily get pushed around in loose ball and one-on-one situations.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby Matty B » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:34 pm

I'm not as discouraged by last night. That was the worst we could possibly play, the best that kent could possibly play+shoot. Yet, if we go 8-23 shooting the 3 (still below average) instead of 3-23 like we did it's a very different game.

That was a really good team that beat us last night. Also remember in last years MAC opener we went to their place and stomped them by 20 and They still got a bye into cleveland.

A LOT of season left. Turner is clearly not 100% but the important thing is that he back to being Justin Turner in March. Tough loss but I'm curious to see how we bounce back vs Miami.
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Postby Falconwriter » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:47 pm

If there's one (almost) certainty with BGSU basketball, it's that the team won't win the MAC tournament. History says so. One of these seasons the streak will be broken, but I don't think it's going to be this year. I hope the team proves me wrong and I have to come back here and eat crow. I'll gladly do it.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:18 pm

BleedOrange wrote:Let's point out something obvious. Kent was EXTREMELY impressive last night. They were tough tough tough tough tough.

Another thing....we play soft. Look at our guys - none of them have impressive upper body strength. Diggs, JTurner, Frye, Fields, Zeigler, Plowden, Sierra <- all of these guys have noodly arms. We are very vulnerable to physical teams because of this. We have no presence in the interior because of this. Plowden and Sierra have no ability to establish domain inside of 10 feet. We can easily get pushed around in loose ball and one-on-one situations.

That is why they play in the MAC.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Men's Hoops