2021-2022 Recruiting

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: 2021-2022 Recruiting

Postby mbenecke » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:56 pm

Tswam wrote:
threestooges wrote:I could be wrong, and I often am. However, I think the athletes in the fall and spring sports have the option of an extra year, but the winter-sports athletes currently do not have that option. Again, I could be wrong.

There have been reports from earlier in the week that the NCAA D1 council will vote today (10/14) on giving '20-'21 winter sport athletes an additional year of eligibility.

This measure has passed - all winter athletes get an extra year of eligibility.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:21 pm

mbenecke wrote:
Tswam wrote:
threestooges wrote:I could be wrong, and I often am. However, I think the athletes in the fall and spring sports have the option of an extra year, but the winter-sports athletes currently do not have that option. Again, I could be wrong.

There have been reports from earlier in the week that the NCAA D1 council will vote today (10/14) on giving '20-'21 winter sport athletes an additional year of eligibility.

This measure has passed - all winter athletes get an extra year of eligibility.

This will be fascinating in the long run. So does that mean Cam Young essentially gets 6 years of eligibility? How will this effect transfers. If I was reluctant to xfer because I would lose a year of eligibility, am I more likely to Xfer now? Could Justin Turner become the all time leading scorer at BG this season and then start for OSU next year?

One of the other things to consider is the obvious situation with Covid 19. At some point the team will get it and some players will need to sit out. With a roster of 12, and a group always around each other that could cause big issues quickly.

There are 3 Srs on the football team that lettered in hoops and we might be able to pull over like the Cole Magner-Keon Newsome days (am I remembering that right?)

6-3 Isaiah Johnson-Mack
https://bgsufalcons.com/sports/football ... -mack/8248
6-2 Ty Redding
https://bgsufalcons.com/sports/football ... dding/8273
6-4 Quintin Morris
https://bgsufalcons.com/sports/football ... orris/8261
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Class of 61 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:23 am

Roster of 12? I thought men’s teams carry 14 scholarship players. Also thought we showed 15 on pre season roster.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby fredthefalcon » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:45 am

Class of 61 wrote:Roster of 12? I thought men’s teams carry 14 scholarship players. Also thought we showed 15 on pre season roster.

13 Scholarships per team in Men's Division 1. BG also has 2 walk-ons on the roster. Thus 15.
fredthefalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:46 am

Gadsen left.

We have 12 scholarship players.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Globetrotter » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:50 am

Forgot to add.

You know who I think this added year helps the most? Trey Diggs. He seems like a late bloomer who could end up staying another year and being the focal point of the offense.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby BleedOrange » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:22 am

Also, Matiss Kulackovskis is the guy who benefits BIG TIME from the eligibility rule. He's another late bloomer with a high ceiling. Kula is still low on his growth curve.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby Globetrotter » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:31 am

BleedOrange wrote:Also, Matiss Kulackovskis is the guy who benefits BIG TIME from the eligibility rule. He's another late bloomer with a high ceiling. Kula is still low on his growth curve.

Definitley, I was looking at just Srs but having him for 3 more years would be great. I bet he is forced to play the 5 some this year as well.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Siborg » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:42 am

This is one of those decisions that eventually may have more negatives than positives over time. Decisions have consequences.

How will it affect # of schollies in the next several years with all these carryover schollies? Or is this decision only eligibility but not necessarily extensions of schollies?

How does this affect recruiting if we don't know what our roster will look like given some will stay and use the extra year and some will not? We never know for certain but this adds another level of uncertainty to the next year's roster.

How does it affect transfers and their decisions?

How does this impact prospective recruits and their decisions? How will they know what positions are available to them now that a roster's Senior doesn't mean Senior for this year and the next 3-4 years.

etc....................
Siborg
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby BleedOrange » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:17 pm

Globetrotter wrote:
BleedOrange wrote:Also, Matiss Kulackovskis is the guy who benefits BIG TIME from the eligibility rule. He's another late bloomer with a high ceiling. Kula is still low on his growth curve.

Definitley, I was looking at just Srs but having him for 3 more years would be great. I bet he is forced to play the 5 some this year as well.

I'm expecting Washington to start at 5 and Kula at 4. Kula will shift to the 5, especially in small ball situations. It's difficult to speculate on Swingle. I'll need to see how he's progressing.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby BleedOrange » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:20 pm

Siborg wrote:This is one of those decisions that eventually may have more negatives than positives over time. Decisions have consequences.

How will it affect # of schollies in the next several years with all these carryover schollies? Or is this decision only eligibility but not necessarily extensions of schollies?

How does this affect recruiting if we don't know what our roster will look like given some will stay and use the extra year and some will not? We never know for certain but this adds another level of uncertainty to the next year's roster.

How does this impact prospective recruits and their decisions? How will they know what positions are available to them now that a roster's Senior doesn't mean Senior for this year and the next 3-4 years.

etc....................

This decision results in fewer scholarships being available to incoming freshmen for the next few years (unless the NCAA allows schools to give more schols). This could have a trickle-down effect that benefits mid-majors. As majors have fewer scholarships, some would-be major recruits will be crowded out and sign with lower strata schools.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby Globetrotter » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:23 am

fredthefalcon wrote:
P.J. Edwards 6'5" Springfield, Illinois- FIU, ETSU, Charleston Southern, SE Mo., S. Illinois

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Ifwp1sqDU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rZjTTaEkjE

Doesn't look like a great athlete but is strong overall and aggressive to the basket. Doesn't have a great stroke but lots of 3's falling. Interesting prospect. Can't hurt to have guys like this.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby fredthefalcon » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:51 am

Desmond Watson committed to Davidson and Mirambeaux cut his list to a final 4 without BG. Believe it or not Cleveland State is one of the finalists.
fredthefalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:17 pm

BleedOrange wrote:
Siborg wrote:This is one of those decisions that eventually may have more negatives than positives over time. Decisions have consequences.

etc....................

My guess: the NCAA will be revisiting the numbers issue and will probably come up with a plan, over a number of years, where schools will have to reduce those numbers, but will be allowed to exceed scholarship limits for a while. Otherwise, it will throw everything into major chaos, and the transfer portal will have so many people in it, the NCAA will be taking 2 years to make decisions.

This decision results in fewer scholarships being available to incoming freshmen for the next few years (unless the NCAA allows schools to give more schols). This could have a trickle-down effect that benefits mid-majors. As majors have fewer scholarships, some would-be major recruits will be crowded out and sign with lower strata schools.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tswam » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:44 pm

Aidan Noyes from Cincinnati Moeller has committed to Richmond. Averaged less than 4 a game coming off the bench as a junior but a ton of interest in the kid.

BG has also offered Justice Bettis. He's a 6'6" wing out of Mount Miguel H.S. in Spring Valley, CA (San Diego area).
Tswam
Chick
Chick

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops