Any new verbals?

Recruiting rumors, news, stats of recruits... anything about our future Falcons until they don the Burnt Orange & Seal Brown

Re: Any new verbals?

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:32 pm

My source is each individual's twitter. Haha

I'll take the JUCOs, at this point. Jinks knows he needs to start winning now, and he's bringing in older and more experienced guys to play right away, filling the bigger gaps at receiver and linebacker. It's not a long-term solution, but it makes us better long-term if our guys find success here, leading to more success on the recruiting trail.

Inconsistency is kind of inevitable here. It's annoying, but that's just kinda the way I have learned things are. Hopefully, Jinks and co. get it turned around on the field this year.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Class of 61 wrote:
mbenecke wrote:2019:
De'Carleon Townsend - OLB
Darren Anders - OLB - **
Jaylen Pate - DE/LB

2018 (JUCO):
R.B. Marlow - WR
Eldridge Salguero - LB
Demontae Haigler - OLB
Jordan Wayne-Praither - WR - ***

These guys have all committed so far this June, since roughly the beginning of last week. Some are unknown yet and not showing on 24/7 at this point, likely because they are yet to play their senior year and will eventually receive rankings, as usually seems to be the case. I think Jinks has been a good recruiter to this point in his tenure, and I trust that he will continue that.

Not sure how you came up w/ these names, but seven looks better than three or four. BUT, I’m not thrilled with all these JUCOs coming in. Even assuming Two possible years each, I see it more like putting a bandaid on a wound, a temporary fix at best.
This being said, I understand that it might be harder to recruit higher rated players to a team that has won only 6 games in past 2 yrs. Jinks can’t just offer P Time and get kids to buy in easily. And I’m not sure that 247 has ratings on JUCOs like they do on HS players.

I would check out [url]orangeandbrown.blogspot.com[/url] or his twitter account @orangeandbrown to keep up with the verbals. He always seems to get that info first.

Normally I'm anti-tons of JUCO players, too, but I think this happens pretty often with staff turnover. Jinks needed to plug the WR holes and Pelini needed to fill the holes left by the players on D who transferred out. These guys also all seem to be solid football players without any huge red flags like there were with Guyton, and the two WRs seem like guys who can make Doege's job a lot easier right away.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:11 pm

Prather supposedly signed w/ Marshall in January... so something hasn’t worked out.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Class of 61 wrote:Prather supposedly signed w/ Marshall in January... so something hasn’t worked out.

According to his Twitter, he and his family realized it wasn't the right fit and the school gave him his release to sign elsewhere back in March.
BG '10

drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:11 pm

We badly need WRs. If these juco transfers work out more like Chief, Kamar Jorden, and Eugene Cooper, and less like Guyton, these guys could be good additions.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:23 pm

Jinks found Cleveland over the summer a couple of years ago...maybe these guys will work out too.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby mbenecke » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:28 pm

Another JUCO WR - Josh Moore, Coffeyville CC.

Out of high school, he committed to Tulsa while holding offers from Utah, CIncinnati, UTSA, Troy, Tulsa, and Central Michigan, as well as BGSU.

It seems as though he did not make it into Tulsa because of his grades, but he spent some time working on that and developing his game in JUCO and he has now re-emerged on our team. I am hoping for the best with this young man.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:43 am

Another WR commit - and this one is coming out of high school.

Darrell Wyatt is listed as a 2-star WR out of Martin Luther King High School in Detroit. He also had an offer from Central Michigan.

Welcome to BG, Darrell!
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:38 pm

Another one.

Luke Harmon out of Catholic Central High School in Grand Rapids, MI has just committed to BG. He's a 6'5 offensive tackle.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:29 pm

Two more this afternoon.

3-star QB Logan Holgorsen from Morgantown, WV. He also had an offer from North Texas and was drawing interest from Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Purdue, Rice, Temple, Toledo, and West Virginia. https://247sports.com/Player/Logan-Holgorsen-45572471

ATH Jaden Gragg from Melbourne, FL. Can play both WR and CB.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:58 pm

Is Logan Holgorsen, Dana Holgorsen's boy? Gonna go to BG instead of play for dad?
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:12 pm

JohnFloyd4Life wrote:Is Logan Holgorsen, Dana Holgorsen's boy? Gonna go to BG instead of play for dad?

Yes, he is Dana's son. It'll be tough to hold onto him if he ends up getting an offer from Dad's Mountaineers.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:19 pm

In the old days... before people became more enlightened...my friends and I would call them the MountainQueers....
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby drumstix2388 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:22 pm

JUCO cornerback out of Copiah-Lincoln just committed today, as well. Can’t tell his name because he goes by Hollywood on twitter, but regardless fills another immediate hole for the D.
BG '10

drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:51 pm

JUCO NG Emmanuel Sadala also committed recently...
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

PreviousNext

Return to BGSU Recruiting News