Any new verbals?

Recruiting rumors, news, stats of recruits... anything about our future Falcons until they don the Burnt Orange & Seal Brown

Any new verbals?

Postby Class of 61 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:04 pm

With the "regular " signing period just around the corner, has anyone heard of any new verbals yet? It'll be interesting to see if what was mentioned back in December comes to fruition. ( supposedly some kids signed but asked it not be announced til now.)

Also interesting to see what total class size will number after graduation, "defections " etc.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Any new verbals?

Postby Flipper » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:30 am

Per Orange and Brown on twitter....Lakewood St Ed's P/K Mason Lawler will be joining us as will OL Cameron Stage from down in Fort Lauderdale. On his Hudl vid Stage looks like a run blocking mauler...good fit at G or C. Really likes to put guys down onto the ground.

There's been a few JUCO TE's that tweeted about visiting BG...that looks to be a spot they really want to fill.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Tony4BG » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:24 am

JUCO TE from Eastern Arizona Presley Motes committed via Twitter
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Class of 61 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:45 pm

Hope we're not going overboard on the JUCO's. OK to fill for immediate needs, but not long term solution.
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:29 pm

Anyone hear anything about Mason Lawler, P/K from St. Eds in Lakewood? Supposed to be a PWO, preferred walk on.
Do we not announce any kids like him as PWO? Supposed to be a very strong punter at 6'3"' 185 or so. It'd be nice to see BG getting a "presence" in NE Ohio again. We're doing great in the SW part of the state, but need to build up our connections in NE. Saw that Jinks was happy to get around over past few weeks. With only 3-4 Ohio kids in this signing class, BG has lost a bit of ground to other MAC schools in the state over past several years. Understandable to a point with 3 coaching changes in past 5 yrs. got to get back in.
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:38 pm

I don’t think the university is allowed to announce
Walk-ons until they actually start school or something similar to that. The student can, but not the university.
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:22 pm

factman wrote:I don’t think the university is allowed to announce
Walk-ons until they actually start school or something similar to that. The student can, but not the university.

If that's the case, he supposedly DID indicate a PWO to BG a couple of weeks ago. Hope it happens, especially from a school like Ed's, a power program in the state.
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:22 pm

Darren Anders, OLB from North Olmsted, is the first official member of the 2019 class. Welcome to the family, Darren!
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Two more verbals from DE Jaylen Pate and WR RB Marlow (his name is RB Marlow, he isn't a running back). It doesn't look like either have ratings from any sites yet, but Pate looks like a really big, really strong kid, and Marlow has some jets.

EDIT: According to the Orange and Brown blog, RB Marlow is a JUCO eligible to play this fall. Nice to gain a WR body who can play immediately.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:36 pm

I’ve lost the contact info, but another JC kid has verballed to BG. Interesting thing is this kid was the driver in an serious auto accident, where two of his teammates were killed and he wound up in critical condition. Lost at least a year due to his injuries.
Sorry I can’t recall the name, but it seemed Hispanic IIRC.
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:38 am

Class of 61 wrote:I’ve lost the contact info, but another JC kid has verballed to BG. Interesting thing is this kid was the driver in an serious auto accident, where two of his teammates were killed and he wound up in critical condition. Lost at least a year due to his injuries.
Sorry I can’t recall the name, but it seemed Hispanic IIRC.

That would be Eldridge Salguero. Likely a free safety out of College of the Canyons.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks, Drumstix. Don’t know how I lost the name.
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Got to say, I’m disappointed with BG recruiting news so far. Jinks had indicated we’d start to see a lot of commits this month. So far, only EMU and KSU have fewer verbals showing than BG’s THREE . (Or possibly Four).
Not to mention verbals so far don’t seem to be rated all that highly either.
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:09 pm

2019:
De'Carleon Townsend - OLB
Darren Anders - OLB - **
Jaylen Pate - DE/LB

2018 (JUCO):
R.B. Marlow - WR
Eldridge Salguero - LB
Demontae Haigler - OLB
Jordan Wayne-Praither - WR - ***

These guys have all committed so far this June, since roughly the beginning of last week. Some are unknown yet and not showing on 24/7 at this point, likely because they are yet to play their senior year and will eventually receive rankings, as usually seems to be the case. I think Jinks has been a good recruiter to this point in his tenure, and I trust that he will continue that.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:25 pm

mbenecke wrote:2019:
De'Carleon Townsend - OLB
Darren Anders - OLB - **
Jaylen Pate - DE/LB

2018 (JUCO):
R.B. Marlow - WR
Eldridge Salguero - LB
Demontae Haigler - OLB
Jordan Wayne-Praither - WR - ***

These guys have all committed so far this June, since roughly the beginning of last week. Some are unknown yet and not showing on 24/7 at this point, likely because they are yet to play their senior year and will eventually receive rankings, as usually seems to be the case. I think Jinks has been a good recruiter to this point in his tenure, and I trust that he will continue that.

Not sure how you came up w/ these names, but seven looks better than three or four. BUT, I’m not thrilled with all these JUCOs coming in. Even assuming Two possible years each, I see it more like putting a bandaid on a wound, a temporary fix at best.
This being said, I understand that it might be harder to recruit higher rated players to a team that has won only 6 games in past 2 yrs. Jinks can’t just offer P Time and get kids to buy in easily. And I’m not sure that 247 has ratings on JUCOs like they do on HS players.
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to BGSU Recruiting News