Unsubstantiated Foodie alert

Our favorite recipies and discussions on all things epicurian, beer, deep-fried goodness, wine, caviar; what fuels YOUR Falcon?

Unsubstantiated Foodie alert

Postby Pete Segaard » Fri May 15, 2015 1:28 pm

My wife's coworker said she heard on a local news channel (have not found a link on the interwebs) that Melt bar and grilled was going to start a restaurant in Perrysburg. I personally do not think it will happen but..... :drinkers: If anyone else hears of this please let me know.
Team Falcon Around
The Falcon formerly known as oaklane2
Pete Segaard
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Unsubstantiated Foodie alert

Postby hammb » Fri May 15, 2015 2:41 pm

Sadly, I'm afraid she heard wrong. What we're getting is another imposter knockoff (I'm looking at YOU Tom+Chee, Paddy jacks, etc)!

The place in perrysburg is, I believe, going to be a second location of Macs 'n' Melts https://www.facebook.com/macsnmelts

And yes, if you check out that facebook page you'll notice right away that the Original Location hasn't even opened for business yet. Hard to be real excited about a restaurant that's trying to be a chain before it even opens it's first location. Looking at the images on their site they aren't even close to hitting on the things that Melt Bar & Grilled has turned into one of my very favorite restaurants on this planet. It's another Chipotle wannabe as near as I can tell brought to you buy the genius mind behind Sillybandz and the LiveStrong bracelets. Yep...he decided that he knows a great restaurant.

I'll try it sometime, I'm sure, but judging by the pics and the fact that it's a startup from a business guy, not a food guy, I'll have VERY tempered expectations. The sad thing is that what makes Melt so great is so very obvious: It's about the food, done right, done creatively. Throw in a side of great beer and great cocktails and you've got a home run. There are a few places in the Toledo area that get this right (Swig, Social, Reverend's), but none that do the Grilled Cheese thing justice.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Pete Segaard » Sun May 17, 2015 7:15 am

Thank you for the heads up on the restaurant Hammb. My wife, youngest son, and I went to try social but it was busy and very noisy, (noisy environments agrivate my sons headaches) so we passed and went to Fat Fish Blue, what a disappointment. What is Social all about?
Team Falcon Around
The Falcon formerly known as oaklane2
Pete Segaard
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Sun May 17, 2015 6:34 pm

Yeah, I hate to bad mouth a locally owned restaurant before it even opens but from the info I can find I don't have real high expectations. Hope to be wrong, and funny you should ask because social was one such place. I expected to hate social, but have been pleasantly surprised by the food, atmosphere, and cocktails. Beer list is usually long but seems hit or miss to me. Usually about. A dozen micros on tap though.

They're owned by the Bruce gradkowski group that owns gradkowskis (heard good things but still haven't been...on decor by ut). Their Schlick is local food, hand made cocktails, and good beer selection. As evidenced by the title trying to be a gastropub. The social aspect is that they are open and loud, so probably not great for your son. Initially they had a long group table down the center where you could be seated next to people from other parties but I believe they've done away with that.

For me I love their patio. Covered bar area with big flat screens in the open air and a full bars right there. Their happy hour of half off apps is a real good deal...don't remember what the drink specials are for the happy hours though. Might just be draft discounts. For food their sandwiches, apps, and fries are all on point. The fish tacos are awesome as well. They do a build your own Mac and cheese that is insanely popular but I've never tried it...I'm a Mac snob and never had any at a restaurant to compare with my own. Overall I think their sandwiches are all pretty reasonably priced with fries, their entrees are good, but tend to get a little pricey for what I'd wanna spend at a place like this.

Overall it's worth a visit and it's one of the handful of local restaurants that we frequent.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Falcon Fanatic » Sun May 24, 2015 3:16 pm

hammb wrote:I'm a Mac snob and never had any at a restaurant to compare with my own.

So, can you share your recipe for homemade mac & cheese? It is my all time favorite food, but I'm not nearly as picky as you about food in general. My standards are actually a bit low compared to yours, so I'd love to make the recipe that you feel is the best!! Maybe it will raise my standards! LOL! :-D
"Regarding BGSU, I would think their biggest strength is that they never give up, They never slow down and they battle hard even after the other team scores. We have to be on our game and never, ever take the foot off the gas for a second."
~~USCHO Poster
"BG was relentless. It's like they know that a good first pass on the breakout from a defenseman will almost always result in an odd-man rush against them - but they go in anyway and dare you to make that pass. All three of their goals were just grit and effort. That's a team any fan can be proud to support...they give all they've got."
~~USCHO Poster, AFTER Tech beat us
#NeverGiveUp
#NeverSurrender
#Relentless
#Resiliant
Falcon Fanatic
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Mon May 25, 2015 9:01 pm

Hey Marta at one time I did actually measure and document a recipe for my Mac and cheese I'll have to see if I can find it. I do know my current recipe has changed since then with the realization that celery seed is an awesome addition.

I can tell you off hand that the key to me is a ratio of about 1.5x as much cheese as dried pasta. I use 1/3 gruyere and 2/3 sharp cheddar. To me that is the money combo for Mac and cheese. I'll see if I can find my actual recipe somewhere for ya.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Return to Falcon Food