Weber Smoky Mountain

Our favorite recipies and discussions on all things epicurian, beer, deep-fried goodness, wine, caviar; what fuels YOUR Falcon?

Re: Weber Smoky Mountain

Postby Lord_Byron » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:29 pm

Steve Raichlen discusses water smokers

http://barbecuebible.com/2014/09/09/gui ... r-smokers/

I have some small quibbles with a couple of points, but who am I to argue with Steve Raichlen.
BG '79

Twitter: @Vapid_Inanities
Lord_Byron
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

Postby hammb » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:12 am

Good stuff Byron.

My main quibble is with the contention that putting beer or other liquid in the pan will in any way alter flavor of the final product. I think we all know that when you boil a flavored liquid the water boils off and the flavor elements are concentrated. That's exactly what happens when you waste money putting beer, pop, or anything else in the water pan. You end up with meat that tastes the same, and a really concentrated (likely quite STICKY) mess of liquid in your water pan...

Personally I don't put water in the pan at all for most cooks. I use it as a safety net if temps start to get too high, I'll add some cool water to knock it down a bit.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Pete Segaard » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:34 am

My first brisket on the Weber Smoky Mountain.

Started the brisket at 6:00 pm with a salt and pepper rub, used hickory chunks with lump charcoal, and pulled the brisket off at 4:00 am when the smoker would only get to 200 degrees. Finished it off in the oven till it hit 195 degrees internal.

I started with two seven pound Texas Flat briskets and ended up with just under 6 pounds trimmed. :drinkers:

I added an extra chunk of hickory at midnight, probably should not have done that. There is just a little bit of bitterness that I think is too much smoke.

So far though this morning I have gotten five likes.
Team Falcon Around
The Falcon formerly known as oaklane2
Pete Segaard
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Falcon Food