Smoked pulled pork on the grill

Our favorite recipies and discussions on all things epicurian, beer, deep-fried goodness, wine, caviar; what fuels YOUR Falcon?

Smoked pulled pork on the grill

Postby rc_ziggy84 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Lord Byron's post on smoked chicken (which was mouthwatering to read btw..) got me thinking about my recipe for smoked pulled pork on the grill. I use a 18" weber charcoal grill (sputnik).

The rub is so simple and delicious - the perfect combination of salty, sweet and spicy... it's also fantastic on ribs, cooked the same way.

The sauce is a carolina style vinegar based sauce.

Meat:
5 lb Boston butt roast (bone in)

Rub:
1 T. brown sugar
1 T. kosher salt
1 T. chili powder

Sauce:
1 c. water
1 c. cider vinegar
1 c. ketchup
3 T. sugar
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. cayenne pepper (i've substituted chili powder when i'm out)
1/2 t. black pepper

The meat:
Take the refrigerated roast out and apply the rub all over the meat. Let it stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile get a 1/2 chimney of charcoal going (it really doesn't take that much to do it.) Also, begin soaking about 2 cups worth of hickory wood chips/nuggets in water.

When the charcoal are hot, line opposites of the grill with 6-8 coals on each side leaving the center of the grill open (google "indirect grilling"). The grill should heat to about 250 or so degrees. Add charcoal as needed to keep the temperature up. Flip the roast over every hour. After about 2 hours, add a small handful of the soaked hickory chips to both charcoal piles every 30 minutes or so. My experience is that the wood burns hotter than charcoal, so expect the temp to rise a little bit. Total cooking time should be about 4 hours. Remove from grill, cover in foil and let rest for 30 minutes. Then the roast should pull apart nicely with forks. Slather in sauce and enjoy.

The sauce:
Mix all the ingredients in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
The (Graduated) "OU Falcon"
rc_ziggy84
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Falcon Food