Smoked Chicken

Our favorite recipies and discussions on all things epicurian, beer, deep-fried goodness, wine, caviar; what fuels YOUR Falcon?

Smoked Chicken

Postby Lord_Byron » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:49 am

We were going to be busy most evenings this week, so I decided that I was going to smoke two chickens on Monday so that we could have them for dinner Tuesday through Thursday.

I got the chickens home from the supermarket, took them out of the plastic, dried them off with paper towels and put them in the fridge in a large bowl to dry out for about three hours.

Then I prepared a rub:

4 Tablespoons paprika
2 Tablespoons smoked paprika
2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon onion powder

I took the chickens out of the fridge, sprinkeld them liberally with the rub both inside and out and let them sit a room tempertaure for about one hour.

I then fired up the Smokey Mountain. Lit one full chimney of charcoal, and put 1/2 chimney unlit in the of the smoker. WHen the coals were ashed over, I added them to the unlit coals, and reassembled the smoker. No water in the bowl, with foil to catch the drippings. Two chunks of cherry wood for smoke.

I got the smoker up to about 300 degrees and added the chicken. Let it go for abouit 75 minutes. The smoker ran at about 310 on the lid thermometer.

It came out perfect. Nice and juicy inside and a good crispy skin outside. The rub had a good flavor, but if I was doing it for someone other than Lady and Princess Byron, I'd probably add Cayenne Pepper to the mix for a little added spice.

We ate one of the birds last night for dinner, and the Princess went back for seconds, so that in and of itself is a success . . .
BG '79

Twitter: @Vapid_Inanities
Lord_Byron
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Smoked Chicken

Postby Pete Segaard » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Could you post a pic next time as a favor. My youngest is in baseball and I don't even have time to fire up the grill for burgers right now.
Team Falcon Around
The Falcon formerly known as oaklane2
Pete Segaard
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Lord_Byron » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:19 pm

You know, I always mean to do that, but I forget until it's all over.

Next time, I'll do a step-by-step picture log.
BG '79

Twitter: @Vapid_Inanities
Lord_Byron
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

Postby hammb » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:46 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE smoking chickens. I always do 'em vertical with the beer can inside of 'em. Not sure it really improves much, but they turn out awesome so that's how I keep doing them.

If I'm just doing a single one I do it indirect on the Kettle, but for 2 the WSM is perfect as they both fit easily on the top shelf since the lid is domed higher than the Kettle.

I also always pull the skin away from the meat and make sure to put plenty of rub directly on the meat...that's key.

The leftovers are great for salads, and make the absolute best chicken salad I've ever had.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Return to Falcon Food