Melt Restaurant

Our favorite recipies and discussions on all things epicurian, beer, deep-fried goodness, wine, caviar; what fuels YOUR Falcon?

Melt Restaurant

Postby Pete Segaard » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Thinking about trying Melt this weekend for Father's day, does it matter which location or are they all pretty consistant? Specifically I am looking at the Lakewood site and my kids want to take me to the Duct Tape Festival.
Team Falcon Around
The Falcon formerly known as oaklane2
Pete Segaard
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Melt Restaurant

Postby hammb » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:22 am

I've only ever been to the Lakewood location, so I cannot speak for comparing them.

I can tell you that the food is fantastic, the beer selection is top notch, and the place is just fun to hang out and eat. I have a hard time going to Cleveland and not stopping there for at least one meal.

I will say that in my times there I have had some pretty varying wait times. Anything from walk in and sit at the bar (late on a Friday night) to waiting for like 2 hours on a Saturday evening. If you're going at a popular eating time, be prepared to wait awhile, but the wait is well worth it. Especially since they've always got good beer on tap to drink while you wait.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Pete Segaard » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:35 am

hammb wrote:I've only ever been to the Lakewood location, so I cannot speak for comparing them.

I can tell you that the food is fantastic, the beer selection is top notch, and the place is just fun to hang out and eat. I have a hard time going to Cleveland and not stopping there for at least one meal.

I will say that in my times there I have had some pretty varying wait times. Anything from walk in and sit at the bar (late on a Friday night) to waiting for like 2 hours on a Saturday evening. If you're going at a popular eating time, be prepared to wait awhile, but the wait is well worth it. Especially since they've always got good beer on tap to drink while you wait.

Thanks Hammb, I think we will have to see about the wait time with the kids along. They aren't always patient. If the wait is too long we may end up trying Moosehead's bar and grill in Amherst as I have heard several good reviews for them.
Team Falcon Around
Pete Segaard
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby VDub26Falcon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:17 pm

Melt is the mad note. I venture to both locations and get there at least twice a month if timing allows it and depending on the sandwich special of the month.

They also do weekend specials and I believe they are doing a Buffalo Chicken style sandwich to go along with a showing of "A Wet, Hot American Summer" at the Cedar Lee Theater.

First time going, I highly recommend getting the Parmageddon. It's really the signature sandwich of Melt. If you get a burger, go with the Fat City Burger. It's fantastic. I also recommend the Lake Erie Monster, the Hot Italian and the West Side Monte Cristo. There really is no bad decision to be made at Melt.
Be Special, Be Different, BE Bowling Green - Dino Babers
VDub26Falcon
The Drunken Irish Falcon
The Drunken Irish Falcon

Postby Pete Segaard » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:38 pm

VDub26Falcon wrote:Melt is the mad note. I venture to both locations and get there at least twice a month if timing allows it and depending on the sandwich special of the month.

They also do weekend specials and I believe they are doing a Buffalo Chicken style sandwich to go along with a showing of "A Wet, Hot American Summer" at the Cedar Lee Theater.

First time going, I highly recommend getting the Parmageddon. It's really the signature sandwich of Melt. If you get a burger, go with the Fat City Burger. It's fantastic. I also recommend the Lake Erie Monster, the Hot Italian and the West Side Monte Cristo. There really is no bad decision to be made at Melt.

Thanks for the rundown!
Team Falcon Around
Pete Segaard
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:00 pm

VDub26Falcon wrote:Melt is the mad note. I venture to both locations and get there at least twice a month if timing allows it and depending on the sandwich special of the month.

I've only been there a handful of times, but the Dude Abides is hands down the best sandwich I've had there!

Only one that I wasn't in love with was the Cleveland Cheese Steak. It was okay, but not something I'd get again.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby VDub26Falcon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:03 pm

Yeah, I've never tried that. Cleveland isn't really a cheesesteak kind of town. My only experience with The Dude was when I got it to go and ate it the next day. It did not reheat well. I'm learning that some are good to get to go and some just aren't.

I forgot the Chorizo and Potato as well as the Municipal Stadium Magic...two other amazing sandwiches.
VDub26Falcon
The Drunken Irish Falcon
The Drunken Irish Falcon

Postby hammb » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:09 pm

VDub26Falcon wrote:Yeah, I've never tried that. Cleveland isn't really a cheesesteak kind of town. My only experience with The Dude was when I got it to go and ate it the next day. It did not reheat well. I'm learning that some are good to get to go and some just aren't.

I forgot the Chorizo and Potato as well as the Municipal Stadium Magic...two other amazing sandwiches.

The Chorizo & Potato has finished 2nd or 3rd in my mind when trying to decide what to get a couple times now. One of these days I'm going to grab that one, cuz it sounds fantastic.

Man...this really makes me feel a road trip to Cleveland is necessary soon...
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby VDub26Falcon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Let me know when, man. I am ALWAYS down for a trip to Melt. You should have come the first weekend of June...they had a...wait for it, wait for it, wait for it....S'MORES MELT!!! It was freaking fantastic!
VDub26Falcon
The Drunken Irish Falcon
The Drunken Irish Falcon

Postby hammb » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:02 pm

VDub26Falcon wrote:Let me know when, man. I am ALWAYS down for a trip to Melt. You should have come the first weekend of June...they had a...wait for it, wait for it, wait for it....S'MORES MELT!!! It was freaking fantastic!

Haha...I saw that on their facebook page!

First weekend in June I was in Hocking Hills proving that I'm a mother fu**ing WARRIOR! LOL
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Pete Segaard » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:40 pm

hammb wrote:
VDub26Falcon wrote:Let me know when, man. I am ALWAYS down for a trip to Melt. You should have come the first weekend of June...they had a...wait for it, wait for it, wait for it....S'MORES MELT!!! It was freaking fantastic!

First weekend in June I was in Hocking Hills proving that I'm a mother fu**ing WARRIOR! LOL

What was happening at Hocking Hills? That is probably my all time favorite place in Ohio.
Team Falcon Around
Pete Segaard
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:41 am

Pete Segaard wrote:
hammb wrote:

What was happening at Hocking Hills? That is probably my all time favorite place in Ohio.

A bunch of my friends and I camped at the state park, then on Saturday we went into Logan to participate in the Warrior Dash:

http://warriordash.com/

The event was an absolute blast...words cannot describe how much fun we had. Definitely will be doing it again, and I'd recommend it to anyone that wants to have a good time doing something stupid :)
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Falcon Fanatic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:49 pm

hammb wrote:
Pete Segaard wrote:
hammb wrote:

A bunch of my friends and I camped at the state park, then on Saturday we went into Logan to participate in the Warrior Dash:

http://warriordash.com/

The event was an absolute blast...words cannot describe how much fun we had. Definitely will be doing it again, and I'd recommend it to anyone that wants to have a good time doing something stupid :)

Love your pic on Facebook!!! You MUST bring that hat to the tailgates!!!
"Regarding BGSU, I would think their biggest strength is that they never give up, They never slow down and they battle hard even after the other team scores. We have to be on our game and never, ever take the foot off the gas for a second."
~~USCHO Poster
"BG was relentless. It's like they know that a good first pass on the breakout from a defenseman will almost always result in an odd-man rush against them - but they go in anyway and dare you to make that pass. All three of their goals were just grit and effort. That's a team any fan can be proud to support...they give all they've got."
~~USCHO Poster, AFTER Tech beat us
#NeverGiveUp
#NeverSurrender
#Relentless
#Resiliant
Falcon Fanatic
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Pete Segaard » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Finally made it to the Lakewood Melt last night. The four of us made it, had to wait well over two hours on a Tuesday night (originally told 1 - 1 1/2 hours, of course Triple D played the Melt episode Monday night). Here is the score,

me
New Holland Full Circle Kolsch - as good as my homebrew Kolsch
Dude Abides - Rocked!

Wife
Boylan Ginger Ale
Spinach pie - was good to start but but Feta got out of control after a while

Oldest son
Boylan Cream Ale
Peanut Butter and Banana - Best sandwich he has ever ate! Almost worth the wait (his words)

Youngest son
Boylan Black Cherry
Parmageddon - a little too much onion for him but he dug the pirogies

Overall the fries were awesome, beer list is probably the best I have personally seen, coleslaw was great (not a soggy mess and plenty of flavor), and sandwiches were top notch.

Downside two hour wait with a ten year old pretty much sucks. If I go back with the family I need to know how long of a wait and what is around to walk and pass time and it was pretty noisy also.
Team Falcon Around
Pete Segaard
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:32 pm

Glad you had a mostly good experience Pete!

The wait times can be a bit crazy at times (and I'm sure that picks up everytime FN or TC play the melt specials), but I think it's worth it. Not sure I'd take young'uns with those wait times, but for me I don't really mind. I sample a few of their awesome beer selection and when I finally do get seated enjoy the best sandwich you can get anywhere.

Good call on the Dude. I don't get there often enough so I've never repeated a sandwich, but the Dude is the one that keeps calling back to me. The meatballs & marinara would really stand up in any Italian Restaurant, IMO.

I really am trying to find some reason to get there in July...really wanna try the firecracker chicken, it sounds fantastic. I have a trip planned for 8/11 already, but man, an excuse to go to Cleveland would be nice...
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Next

Return to Falcon Food