Falcon baseball

The smaller "non-revenue" sports at BGSU.

Re: Falcon baseball

Postby Falconwriter » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:26 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:
factman wrote:
mbenecke wrote:BGSU Baseball is BACK!

Multiple sources have confirmed that the program is saved and will be returning.

.......... and I almost as big of news is that Orel is taking a very active part! :supz: :supz:

Is he? I hadn't heard that. What sort of role is he taking? Having him involved would be huge for the sustainability of the program.

Very glad baseball is staying. I hope they are able to keep a good number of the players and field a competitive team in 2021.

He is exactly the kind of person they need heading this up if it is to survive long-term. As most of you know, I created a baseball scholarship and hadn't done anything with it since the first announcement was made, so it remains in force and can help students for 3 years and beyond (if there's a program.) That said, I do not trust this Board of Trustees on anything, and certainly not on this matter. I hope I'm wrong...
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:42 pm

Hope they haven’t lost TOO many kids already. I’ve heard several have already transferred or are planning to do so. This includes two brothers who hoped to play together which won’t happen now unless the younger bro follows older to Mich st.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Critical Thinker » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:54 pm

Class of 61 wrote:Hope they haven’t lost TOO many kids already.

All of the remaining players still have the option to leave without having to sit out a year, so the bleeding might continue.
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby MarkL » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:21 am

Fantastic news. I bet this can be used as a massive recruiting pitch. BG was not the only program cutting sports. Baseball alums and fans rallied to save the program. Come to BG where a lot of people care about the program.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Critical Thinker » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:32 pm

MarkL wrote:I bet this can be used as a massive recruiting pitch. BG was not the only program cutting sports. Baseball alums and fans rallied to save the program. Come to BG where a lot of people care about the program.

If I were a recruit, I'd be nervous that there's no plan in place to have a team my junior and senior seasons. I'd feel a lot better with a school that picked a different sport to cut.
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby factman » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:24 am

I’d be much more worried about non revenue sports that don’t have a plan in place to raise funds, and revenue sports that have done little to help themselves.
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby threestooges » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:43 am

factman wrote:I’d be much more worried about non revenue sports that don’t have a plan in place to raise funds, and revenue sports that have done little to help themselves.

Maybe BGSU should cut some other sports so that alums can mobilize and raise funds to bring back those programs as well. Seems like a great money-maker. :wink:
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:46 pm

threestooges wrote:
factman wrote:I’d be much more worried about non revenue sports that don’t have a plan in place to raise funds, and revenue sports that have done little to help themselves.

Maybe BGSU should cut some other sports so that alums can mobilize and raise funds to bring back those programs as well. Seems like a great money-maker. :wink:

More or less at 1:30 in this video that is what is implied for all programs at BGSU, including academic programs. Look for some aggressive fundraising coming our way.
https://youtu.be/B-3YD8DYEEQ
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:37 pm

Coach Schmitz will be on the Tiki + TiERNEY show on both Sirius radio (206) and CBS Sports TV (322 on Spectrum in BG) at 4:20 today (Wed 6/10) at 4:20 pm
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:37 pm

Coach Schmitz will be on the Tiki + TiERNEY show on both Sirius radio (206) and CBS Sports TV (322 on Spectrum in BG) at 4:20 today (Wed 6/10) at 4:20 pm
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falcon Commander » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:54 pm

factman wrote:Coach Schmitz will be on the Tiki + TiERNEY show on both Sirius radio (206) and CBS Sports TV (322 on Spectrum in BG) at 4:20 today (Wed 6/10) at 4:20 pm

https://traffic.omny.fm/d/clips/4b5f9d6 ... /audio.mp3
Show our Spirit,
Make them Fear it,
Fight for Dear Bee Gee.

REBUILD-ING --> BG HOCKEY!!
Falcon Commander
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:09 am

I didn't see anyone post this, so I figured I'd toss this information into this post:

Coach Danny Schmitz is stepping into a new role with the program as an advisor, and Kyle Hallock (2011 Kent State All-American), the BGSU pitching coach since September of 2018, was named the new head coach of the BGSU Baseball program. He's 31-years old, and he's from Sandusky, OH.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:18 am

I've seen multiple guys who had chosen to transfer that have said they are returning next season, as well. I know Jeremy Spezia had said he was going to GVSU, but he announced he's coming back the other day. Rigo Ramos also announced he was staying.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:41 am

Almost all originally went in the transfer portal, and all but 2-3 are returning including all three 2020 recruits and most of the 2021 recruits have reconfirmed their commitment.
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:49 pm

factman wrote:Almost all originally went in the transfer portal, and all but 2-3 are returning including all three 2020 recruits and most of the 2021 recruits have reconfirmed their commitment.

I also saw that Dylan Dohanos, who is from BG and stayed home to play at BGSU, has reaffirmed his commitment to stay and play for the Falcons. He's a really good player, so I was happy to see he's staying.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Other Sports