Falcon baseball

The smaller "non-revenue" sports at BGSU.

Re: Falcon baseball

Postby sbkbghockey » Fri May 15, 2020 3:49 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:
Falconwriter wrote:
Falcon Commander wrote:So, does Gary Haas get his his Mill returned? :-k

Good question. I created a baseball scholarship two years ago and it had been paying out, already. I invested a lot of money into seeding it initially, and there were plans for money from my estate going to it as well.

While I understand the economics involved in making this decision, I obviously believe it's a mistake and don't agree with the action.

I'm also VERY disappointed that I wasn't given the courtesy of at least a phone call or email heads-up that this was even on the table. That's treating a good donor and alum in a pretty crappy way.

I created this scholarship very specifically to honor my late husband...so it has more than the usual meaning to someone who donates to something like this.

To see this happen, in this way, hurts like hell.

As someone who works in higher ed fundraising, I would have definitely pushed to let the more substantial donors to the program know before it was announced, but I'm not surprised. They probably had a deadline on what to cut, and they wanted to make sure that rumors about programs didn't get out before a final decision was made. However, now that it has been announced, if someone in development doesn't call you in the next couple of days, I'd be pretty upset with their stewardship.

On another note, Akron cut it's program in 2015, and now it's back (though at the worst possible time) with Chris Sabo as head coach. They might have a plan to bring it back as part of a 3-5 year plan if they raise enough money, but they can't externally commit to that at this point.

I've thought about that a few weeks ago following some of the other university sport cuts, hopefully once things stabilize, universities will look to revive programs. Also influxes of new donations could help as well. I didn't realize until reading the news this afternoon that BG Baseball is one of the first varsity sports, founded in 1915.

On the flip-side, I've always thought it was strange so many MAC schools have baseball when home games are sketchy even into late March and the DI baseball teams start so early. Lacrosse is a spring sport that makes a lot more sense for the MAC than baseball outside of Miami, OU, and maybe Ball State (southern-most MAC teams). BG had men's lax back in the 1970s before it really took off as sport outside of the Northeast.
sbkbghockey
Chick
Chick

Postby BGSU33 » Fri May 15, 2020 4:14 pm

I'm sad to see this happen. But I also can't say I'm surprised. BG baseball has been lacking and lagging in the MAC for many years now. From the facility to funding to overall performance most every year. The fact this program won the MAC title it did several years ago was stunning to me. I always felt this program was stuck in limbo, and despite wishing it wasn't being eliminated, there's a part of me that feels like it's being put out of its misery at the same time. As stated in another post, Akron dropped baseball and brought it back. Maybe the same will be said for BG down the road.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Fri May 15, 2020 4:53 pm

They deserved better.
When I was filling in my nomination form for BGSU HOF, on my mind was Schmitz will be the easiest of easy nominations when he retires. He deserves better.
All the players deserve better. All expected four years of baseball.
I don't know what to say about the financial situation. I'm sure this was determined to be the best solution. It doesn't make it any better for everyone involved.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Fri May 15, 2020 6:48 pm

Another thing that factors in from a budget standpoint at BG is hockey. We all know the Title IX challenges of offsetting a football team (63 in FCS, 85 in FBS), but consider BG is also one of less than a handful of G5 schools also carrying a men's hockey program. It's yet another large chunk of players offset and it's a sport that's very expensive to compete in and to maintain. On top of that, BG is also operating with the lowest budget in the MAC. We all know the situation hockey was facing several years ago. I'm not saying I wanted it to be cut, or that it should have. But had it been, it would have freed up a lot to spread around and would have helped with Title IX. .
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Fri May 15, 2020 7:34 pm

BGSU33 wrote:I'm sad to see this happen. But I also can't say I'm surprised. BG baseball has been lacking and lagging in the MAC for many years now. From the facility to funding to overall performance most every year. The fact this program won the MAC title it did several years ago was stunning to me. I always felt this program was stuck in limbo, and despite wishing it wasn't being eliminated, there's a part of me that feels like it's being put out of its misery at the same time. As stated in another post, Akron dropped baseball and brought it back. Maybe the same will be said for BG down the road.

What you don't know is that one of the primary reasons the program was struggling -- was a lack of scholarships. The NCAA allows up to 11. BG, before I created one, only had 7. I think there was another donor not long after me who actually created the 9th. And there was also a big donation made toward the facilities, if I'm not mistaken.

With the BG alums now in MLB (and past), there should have been a way to better support this program, but I don't think attention was paid to it by the athletic department, which was consumed with saving hockey and keeping everything else afloat. That said, you've got to spend some money to make more in fundraising, and BG didn't have enough people to shake hands and follow up on phone calls.

All of that said, there is no excuse in my mind for how this was handled. None. And yes, I'm ticked off. I suspect I'll stay this way for a long time.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:09 pm

Is Moose planning on paying back the person he named the stadium after just last year. Like where did all of his money go? Clearly, not to baseball.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Sun May 17, 2020 10:23 am

I have always admired the beautiful baseball facility the university has put together. It seems the improvements made over the last two decades made it easily one of the best in Ohio at the collegiate level......funding is killing the MAC.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:52 pm

Furman University just cut their program, as well. Beautiful stadium, tons of private funding, good baseball weather. I fear that BG just happened to be the first in a pretty long list of schools that will be cutting entire programs throughout the country over the next 2-3 months.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Mon May 18, 2020 5:02 pm

I'd be curious if the Furman AD speculated on the Cincinnati soccer situation based on rumors his soccer coach heard? Then insinuated that those weren't rash decisions but years in the making.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Thu May 21, 2020 10:54 am

I just read a rumor that alumni and friends of the program have raised $900K to try to save the program.

Again, I wish they had shown this type of effort before it got to this point, but I’m really encouraged to see this.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:01 am

mbenecke wrote:I just read a rumor that alumni and friends of the program have raised $900K to try to save the program.

Again, I wish they had shown this type of effort before it got to this point, but I’m really encouraged to see this.

That's awesome, and yeah, to your point, it would have been nice to see it earlier. I wonder what the number is to keep it alive. It supposedly saved $500k this year by cutting it, but clearly, to bring it back would take some lasting funds, and who knows if that money is immediate or available over a multi-year pledge.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Thu May 21, 2020 1:46 pm

It would have been done earlier, BUT even a week or two before, the AD said that there would be NO sports cut!
No one knew there was a problem.
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby bgbill » Thu May 21, 2020 6:50 pm

Per Toledo tv stations, the save group is attempting to secure 3.5 million before they approach the university.
All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds.
bgbill
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Fri May 22, 2020 8:57 am

If anyone is interested in making a $$ commitment or have any questions, you can do so at:

savebgsubaseball1 @gmail. com
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Fri May 22, 2020 4:04 pm

Jordan Strack (WTOL) has reported they have raised $1.2M from 117 donors in the last 4 days. That’s an average of over $10K per donor.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports