BG Gymnastics Accusations

The smaller "non-revenue" sports at BGSU.

BG Gymnastics Accusations

Postby drumstix2388 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:55 pm

Regardless of what the investigation found, it doesn't sound like a great culture with our gymnastics team right now.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/bgsu/2019/03/01/bowling-green-bgsu-gymnastics-embroiled-in-dispute-over-coaching-tactics/stories/20190301014
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: BG Gymnastics Accusations

Postby It's the Journey... » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:10 pm

I can tell you it's not like that at all. It's not a perfect program, but these accusations are, for the most part, far from accurate.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jbakerifm » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:41 am

It's the Journey... wrote:I can tell you it's not like that at all. It's not a perfect program, but these accusations are, for the most part, far from accurate.

The anonymous rating and ranking thing stands out to me as an indicator of problems. If you want to destroy someone emotionally that would be a good spot to start. Ive heard of other teams doing this and it never helps and usually
hurts. Seriously this should be on page one of the coaching handbook under Don't Do This Stupid s**t.

Obviously things don't always work out in athletics and people end up not liking their coaches. I would be more dismissive of the other complaints minus what I said above.
jbakerifm
Chick
Chick

Postby TommyG » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:16 pm

Our gymnastics program hasn’t done anything outside of one decent year where somehow 4 MAC programs made NCAA regionals. It’s a mediocre program (despite having the resources to compete). However, writing articles about investigations where your main sources are the parents of disgruntled team members isn’t really all that insightful.
It shows more where college athletics is at. People complain and now instead of just the AD looking into it and either supporting the coach, reprimanding the coach, or firing the coach; we now have to hire a lawyer to do an investigation. If Turner hadn’t already lost the team, bringing in an outside investigation certainly takes away almost all her authority. No surprise to see the teams performance record wise.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby TalonsDownForWhat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:20 pm

After reading the article am I the only one that thinks the asst Coach Bauer needs to go? There was no reason to use that reference and then he had one job to apologize and did through an email after being busted for not apologizing
TalonsDownForWhat
Egg
Egg

Postby Flipper » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:30 pm

On the surface...that would appear to be true. Hey coach...show some smarts...you know the heat is on and the verified instance of misconduct involves you. Don't make yourself the obvious sacrifice by not complying with the directives from above. Someone too stupid to get that is probably not someone you want to keep around
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Antimob » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:08 pm

The entire story told from the perspective of the complainants and minimal effort to get both sides of the story. Lazy but unsurprising.

How much of our athletic director's time and energy has been spent on this over something that so few people truly care about in the grand scheme of the athletic program?
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby TommyG » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:52 pm

Antimob wrote:The entire story told from the perspective of the complainants and minimal effort to get both sides of the story. Lazy but unsurprising.

How much of our athletic director's time and energy has been spent on this over something that so few people truly care about in the grand scheme of the athletic program?

That can be said for 90% of women’s athletics. Title IX makes it real tough on mid majors. Spend a lot of money on teams that most fans don’t pay attention to one bit.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby It's the Journey... » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:18 am

I am curious as to how many people commenting on this thread have actually been to a gymnastics meet? I suspect not many. But I could ask that question about swim and dive, tennis, cross country, etc.

I have to laugh at the Title IX argument. Does anyone really think the amount of money the department uses to fund gymnastics, tennis, swim and dive, cross country, etc is even close to the amount of money needed to compete against the major conferences? Here's a secret, it would not even be a drop in the bucket. Blaming Title IX is nothing more than a poor excuse given by someone who is out of touch with the reality of being a mid major.

Most of you know my bias here. I have been around this team for more than 20 years. So I am more than a little upset about a lazy article that is so one sided. The fact that it was even written is even more laughable. You cannot tell me that the Bland was looking for trouble in the gymnastics program. No, this report was spoon fed by those with an agenda against the team and coaching staff because they were asked to be accountable to themselves and the team. The timing of the article was even worse. I can guarantee you that an article like this on football or basketball or hockey would not have been published on the day of a game. If you are going to write that hack job article at least have the decency to not print it on a meet day. I can only imagine how that affected them. By the way, they were across the country at Oregon State.

Is it a perfect program, no. Is it better than the rest of the MAC, no. Does it have multiple MAC Championships, yes. Has it qualified athletes to the national championship, yes. Does it have an NCAA champion, yes. Do the crowds compare to other sports on campus, yes.

So rip into and question the legitimacy of the program all you want. But be damn sure you have your facts straight, or use facts at all.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
BGSU Brothers Sing On

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:06 pm

When was the last time Gymnastics won a team conference title?
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby It's the Journey... » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:07 pm

When was the last time one of our "major sports" were in their respective NCAA tournaments?
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
BGSU Brothers Sing On

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:20 pm

Ok so not too long ago...I don’t really care one way or another. I agree that the article wasn’t great from a journalism perspective. I was just pointing out that Gymnastics isn’t a championship level program despite being a program that was spared from Greg Chrostopher’s cuts 10 years ago.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby BGDrew » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:09 pm

It's the Journey... wrote:2006

When was the last time one of our "major sports" were in their respective NCAA tournaments?

That’s quite the movement of goalposts to jump from contending for a conference title to making a national tournament.

Running a strength/conditioning program within the team without utilizing the strength department’s knowledge/consultation is probably a fireable offense by itself.

All athletic programs (except probably men’s basketball thanks to the Frack money) are operated on shoestring budgets. With that said, the gymnastic coach’s overall win/loss record is pretty horrendous to have in one’s career. Probably best to make a change for that (not withstanding the accusations).
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsDownForWhat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Also we flew the team out to Oregon State this year. Why are we pouring money into a nonrevenue sport that has so many local midwest opponents that they could play. This team isn't good enough to be traveling crosscountry to score below a 190...
TalonsDownForWhat
Egg
Egg

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:40 pm

TalonsDownForWhat wrote:Also we flew the team out to Oregon State this year. Why are we pouring money into a nonrevenue sport that has so many local midwest opponents that they could play. This team isn't good enough to be traveling crosscountry to score below a 190...

My impression is that all of our teams take a trip like this every few years. The football team has bowl games and some pretty interesting nonconference destinations. The hockey team goes to Alaska and Alabama every year. I don't know if there is anything even semi-official about this, but I imagine it is easier to recruit when you can sell recruits on an occasional trip to a place like Boca Raton (where our women's basketball team played a season ago) or Hawaii (where our women's soccer team played last fall).
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Next

Return to Other Sports