Falcon baseball

The smaller "non-revenue" sports at BGSU.

Re: Falcon baseball

Postby Schadenfreude » Fri May 22, 2020 4:15 pm

guest44 wrote:I'd be curious if the Furman AD speculated on the Cincinnati soccer situation based on rumors his soccer coach heard? Then insinuated that those weren't rash decisions but years in the making.

Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby threestooges » Fri May 22, 2020 5:45 pm

mbenecke wrote:Jordan Strack (WTOL) has reported they have raised $1.2M from 117 donors in the last 4 days. That’s an average of over $10K per donor.

That's great, but ...

1) where were these people before the program was dropped? It's not like it was a secret that baseball's been in danger for a while now.

and

2) I'm afraid it will take a lot (a LOT) more money than that -- like $20 million or more -- to have a chance to reinstate baseball.

I hate seeing sports get cut, but I don't think President Rogers & Bob Moosbrugger did this without considering all the options. It would take much more than $1.2M to resuscitate BG baseball.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:56 pm

Where were those people before? My guess is it was very similar to 2009 with BG Hockey. Former players give money and nobody knows where it goes, and those who gave get pissed. The Haas money was supposed to be used to field turf in 2014. Where did it go? Meanwhile, Mike Jinks gets 420K, his high school o coordinator gets 130K, his high school d coordinator gets 130k. They all get fired, Loeffler gets 530K? Say what? People aren't going to give Moose and his crew money to funnel more to football. Can't you see they don't trust him? It's pretty obvious in real time. I mean he did quit the team as a player right?

Also you clearly prefer to not read or listen. The story clearly stated they needed more funds. Like way more. But, you didn’t read or listen to the clip.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby threestooges » Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 pm

guest44 wrote:Where were those people before? My guess is it was very similar to 2009 with BG Hockey. Former players give money and nobody knows where it goes, and those who gave get pissed. The Haas money was supposed to be used to field turf in 2014. Where did it go? Meanwhile, Mike Jinks gets 420K, his high school o coordinator gets 130K, his high school d coordinator gets 130k. They all get fired, Loeffler gets 530K? Say what? People aren't going to give Moose and his crew money to funnel more to football. Can't you see they don't trust him? It's pretty obvious in real time. I mean he did quit the team as a player right?

Also you clearly prefer to not read or listen. The story clearly stated they needed more funds. Like way more. But, you didn’t read or listen to the clip.

You got me. I didn't read or listen to the clip. I merely (and correctly) stated that they needed way, WAY, WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY more money to have a prayer of getting baseball reinstated. Please tell us more about Mike Jinks.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falcon Commander » Fri May 22, 2020 11:02 pm

"Please tell us more about Mike Jinks."

](*,) [-o<
Show our Spirit,
Make them Fear it,
Fight for Dear Bee Gee.

REBUILD-ING --> BG HOCKEY!!
Falcon Commander
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:36 am

They raised 1.2 million in 4 days. That’s roughly the amount it took to have Mike Jinks completely ruin BGSU Football in about 1000 days. Or the amount BGSU will pay Loeffler over 2 years to win about 6 football games (if they have a season).
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:31 pm

guest44 wrote:They raised 1.2 million in 4 days. That’s roughly the amount it took to have Mike Jinks completely ruin BGSU Football in about 1000 days. Or the amount BGSU will pay Loeffler over 2 years to win about 6 football games (if they have a season).

Why the sarcasm? I doubt that ANY of the schools now cancelling programs, be they baseball, hockey or whatever, are happy to do so. I’m looking at the “ 29 mill. Shortfall” at BG, due primarily to having a partime learning situation for past few months, but more importantly a loss of enrollment for coming yr., results in mega probs. #-o
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Sat May 23, 2020 4:50 pm

Add to that the local businesses who have supported the dept through the years losing income from fewer students and fewer activities in town. I’m certain none of them relish losing baseball or any other sport that brings people to the city. The effects of the changes in behavior and habits of college students, staff and visitors have just begun to be felt.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:58 am

BGSU Baseball might be saved after all.

https://twitter.com/atracylifer/status/ ... 2555774981

Andy Tracer: "While Save BGSU Baseball was initially working towards a 5-year commitment at $750,000 per year, BGSU has willingly worked with us and reduced this to a 3-year, on-going commitment to fund BGSU baseball at $500,000 per year, within the uncertainties of COVID-19. 100% to baseball."

https://twitter.com/JordanStrack/status ... 2520808449

Jordan Strack: "HUGE SAVE BGSU BASEBALL NEWS:

“While BGSU has not yet agreed to reinstate BGSU Baseball, we are pleased and excited to announce BGSU has agreed to a structure for the reinstatement of the BGSU baseball program.”

I just got this. I’ll have more tomorrow!"

Sounds like it'll be on less funding than they were hoping before, but we should see BGSU baseball next year and in the following 2 seasons to come. I hope this was a shot in the arm to that alumni/fan base that will make them donate so we can have the program for years to come. Excellent news!
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby It's the Journey... » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:52 am

mbenecke wrote:BGSU Baseball might be saved after all.

https://twitter.com/atracylifer/status/ ... 2555774981

Andy Tracer: "While Save BGSU Baseball was initially working towards a 5-year commitment at $750,000 per year, BGSU has willingly worked with us and reduced this to a 3-year, on-going commitment to fund BGSU baseball at $500,000 per year, within the uncertainties of COVID-19. 100% to baseball."

https://twitter.com/JordanStrack/status ... 2520808449

Jordan Strack: "HUGE SAVE BGSU BASEBALL NEWS:

“While BGSU has not yet agreed to reinstate BGSU Baseball, we are pleased and excited to announce BGSU has agreed to a structure for the reinstatement of the BGSU baseball program.”

I just got this. I’ll have more tomorrow!"

Sounds like it'll be on less funding than they were hoping before, but we should see BGSU baseball next year and in the following 2 seasons to come. I hope this was a shot in the arm to that alumni/fan base that will make them donate so we can have the program for years to come. Excellent news!

While I hope this gets baseball back, I have questions. It sounds like this will secure funding for 3 years at 500k. What happens in year 4? If the Frack money for basketball is 20 million and generating about 600K per year then it stands to reason baseball will need to raise 20 million to keep the program going in years 4, 5, 6, etc. And it will need to raise more than 20 million to get to the 750k per year mark.

I think what is needed is a special unit in the Falcon Club dedicated to raising funds for an endowment of ALL 18 sports! I realize you may be looking at a cost north of 200 million, but if the department is committed to running a Division I program with FBS football it is necessary. The student money cannot continue to flow in like it is. Right now 50% of a students general fee money is going to athletics. With costs continuing to rise it's not sustainable. We need to start this now, or the affects to the department will be devastating.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:28 pm

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/01/b ... ege-sports

Good SI article about Falcon baseball
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:55 pm

BGSU Baseball is BACK!

Multiple sources have confirmed that the program is saved and will be returning.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:00 pm

Jordan Strack tweeted out a statement from the athletic department:

"After very positive and productive dialogue with alumni and former student-athletes nationwide, Bowling Green State University is pleased to reinstate its baseball program effective immediately. In just days, our passionate baseball alumni and donors have committed $1.5 million over the next three years. During this time, the University, in partnership with a select group of baseball alumni, will pursue a long-term solution to sustain and support the program.

BGSU is grateful for its alumni and friends who have stepped up during this difficult time to ensure their alma mater is positioned to thrive on the other side of the current COVID-19 crisis. We are inspired by the efforts of our baseball alumni, and we look forward to continuing to cultivate and reinvigorate all BGSU alumni. We are excited for Opening Day in the spring. Ay Ziggy Zoomba!"
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:05 pm

mbenecke wrote:BGSU Baseball is BACK!

Multiple sources have confirmed that the program is saved and will be returning.

.......... and in almost as big of news is that Orel is taking a very active part! :supz: :supz:
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:44 pm

factman wrote:
mbenecke wrote:BGSU Baseball is BACK!

.......... and I almost as big of news is that Orel is taking a very active part! :supz: :supz:

Is he? I hadn't heard that. What sort of role is he taking? Having him involved would be huge for the sustainability of the program.

Very glad baseball is staying. I hope they are able to keep a good number of the players and field a competitive team in 2021.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports