I do love a good fireside chat...

Let us know what you think, what you like, what you don't like... We'll do our best to accomodate everyone!

I do love a good fireside chat...

Postby TG1996 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:51 pm

"I don't believe I can name a coach, anywhere, anytime, anyhow, who did it better than Doyt Perry."
-1955 BG Assistant Bo Schembechler

BGSUsports.com - Where ESPN.com goes for BG history.
TG1996
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: I do love a good fireside chat...

Postby ZiggyZoomba » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:11 pm

Boy, the feedback has been.... well, non-existant.
Grant Cummings
ROLL ALONG!!!
"We are linked to this institution by invisible bonds that do not wither or dissolve." --BGSU President, Dr. Ralph W. McDonald - 1968
ZiggyZoomba
The Wizard of AZZ
The Wizard of AZZ

Postby TG1996 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:40 pm

ZiggyZoomba wrote:Boy, the feedback has been.... well, non-existant.

I think it's because you said "Last 100 years..." not, "Since November of '03" :-D
"I don't believe I can name a coach, anywhere, anytime, anyhow, who did it better than Doyt Perry."
-1955 BG Assistant Bo Schembechler

BGSUsports.com - Where ESPN.com goes for BG history.
TG1996
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGDrew » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:00 pm

Give people a few days. It's hard to put everyone's memory down in just a few hours.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby It's the Journey... » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:04 am

Grant, I sent you a PM. Did you get it?
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Bleeding Orange » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:35 am

TG1996 wrote:
ZiggyZoomba wrote:Boy, the feedback has been.... well, non-existant.

I think it's because you said "Last 100 years..." not, "Since November of '03" :-D

This may be a more insightful comment than you originally intended it to be. I know that in my own experience, I don't have any tangible connection to BGSU prior to January of 2002, when I transferred to BG. For Christmas of 2001, one of my presents from my parents was an engraved wooden wall hanging with the LT logo. I will never forget my initial inner monologue when I opened it: "What a weird logo." After my first semester at BG it became one of my most prized possessions, and it still hangs in my old bedroom with my honor cords draped over it. I am not relating this to just tell a cutesy (some might say stupid) story, but to illustrate why I have not responded to this topic, and I suspect that many others may be in the same boat.

I simply don't feel that I have any authority to cast a vote for the best athletes or moments in Falcon athletics over the past 100 years. I could give you a list that would include a lot of stuff that happened after January of 2002 and all of the things that you mentioned in your video, Grant, but I just don't think that would be very helpful. And, because of the lifespan of this board, I would suspect that at least...say...60% of the people here have an 'institutional memory' span similar to my own.

I think there may be a way for this project to be inclusive of everyone, no matter how long they have been associated with BGSU, but it would take some work. I think we need some first hand and relevant second hand accounts of some of the 'bigger' moments in Falcon sports history that people can read over before they cast any kind of 'vote' that you guys might be looking for. Perhaps I am thinking on too grand of a scale here, but I think it would be really cool if we were able to get former players and coaches, fans, reporters, etc. who were present at 'nominated' events to write a brief account of their memories and experiences for everyone to consider. For events for which there is no living memory, I'm sure that the books written by Overman and Dr. Givens, along with the extensive resources in the BG News archives would be helpful. All of these primary sources would not only benefit this current project, but if they could be collected in one location they would be an invaluable resource for anyone interested in the history of the university.

I fully understand how much work this may take, and I am totally willing to do as much of the legwork as I am qualified to do. I haven't done any real 'history' for a few years, but I would love the opportunity to do something with this. The web logistics side of things would clearly be beyond me, but I've always been a nerd who loves doing research. I'm sure Coach Cochrane would be able to help us out with contacting players, coaches, administrators, etc. And I have no doubt that I am blowing this thing way beyond what you guys probably had in mind, but if it sounds like something that might in any way be worthwhile, just shoot me a PM and perhaps we can figure out a way to make it happen.
From the halls of ivy...

It is not my intention to do away with government. It is rather to make it work - work with us, not over us; stand by our side, not ride on our back. Government can and must provide opportunity, not smother it; foster productivity, not stifle it. ~Ronald Reagan

:smt117
Bleeding Orange
The Abominable Desert 'Cat

Postby ZiggyZoomba » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:28 am

It's the Journey... wrote:Grant, I sent you a PM. Did you get it?

I got it, but the whole "P" in PM thing stands for private. ;-) We're looking for a public discussion of things here.

Maybe the way to do it is just to do it and let everyone argue the picks after-the-fact. ;-)
Grant Cummings
ROLL ALONG!!!
"We are linked to this institution by invisible bonds that do not wither or dissolve." --BGSU President, Dr. Ralph W. McDonald - 1968
ZiggyZoomba
The Wizard of AZZ
The Wizard of AZZ

Postby Redwingtom » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:00 am

ZiggyZoomba wrote:
It's the Journey... wrote:Grant, I sent you a PM. Did you get it?

I got it, but the whole "P" in PM thing stands for private. ;-) We're looking for a public discussion of things here.

Maybe the way to do it is just to do it and let everyone argue the picks after-the-fact. ;-)

Maybe I missed something, but the "form" at the end of the article makes it look like we are sending our lists in instead of discussing them publicly in an open thread. Did I miss something?

EDIT: I added my lists and see now that they will eventually appear as a comment at the bottom of the article!
Redwingtom
Redwingtom
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Bleeding Orange » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:20 pm

ZiggyZoomba wrote:
It's the Journey... wrote:

I guess I'll take that as a nooooo. Oh well, you can't blame a guy for trying, I guess. :lol: :wink:
From the halls of ivy...

It is not my intention to do away with government. It is rather to make it work - work with us, not over us; stand by our side, not ride on our back. Government can and must provide opportunity, not smother it; foster productivity, not stifle it. ~Ronald Reagan

:smt117
Bleeding Orange

Postby It's the Journey... » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:31 pm

Here is the PM I sent Grant. Hopefully we can get this thing rolling along soon.....

I LOVE this idea. You may need to expand your top 10. I would suggest all of our NCAA Champions have a place. By my count that is Dave Wottle, Sid Sink, the relay they were on, the 1984 hockey team, and Marny Oestreng for her 1999 floor title in gymnastics. That is 5 right there! Anyway, if you do decide to include Marny in any of the lists please let me know. I did double duty as team manager and reporter for the BG News when she was on the team. I am also in contact with Marny and Dan Connelly, who was the coach at the time. I won't be at the Try game, mid week games suck, but i'm going to try to make it to Boise and will be at homecoming for sure. Talk to you soon.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
BGSU Brothers Sing On

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Redwingtom » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:56 am

It's the Journey... wrote:Here is the PM I sent Grant. Hopefully we can get this thing rolling along soon.....

I LOVE this idea. You may need to expand your top 10. I would suggest all of our NCAA Champions have a place. By my count that is Dave Wottle, Sid Sink, the relay they were on, the 1984 hockey team, and Marny Oestreng for her 1999 floor title in gymnastics. That is 5 right there! Anyway, if you do decide to include Marny in any of the lists please let me know. I did double duty as team manager and reporter for the BG News when she was on the team. I am also in contact with Marny and Dan Connelly, who was the coach at the time. I won't be at the Try game, mid week games suck, but i'm going to try to make it to Boise and will be at homecoming for sure. Talk to you soon.

To clarify, he wants the Top 10 Male and Top 10 Female athletes as well as the Top 20 overall moments. I've already added my list to the article so you can add yours and start debating!!
Redwingtom
Redwingtom
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby It's the Journey... » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:09 pm

Oh...I thought "public discussion" meant here on the board. I'll post it again somewhere else I guess...
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
BGSU Brothers Sing On

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Website Feedback