Absence (or is it Abstinence?) makes the heart grow fonder

Who we are as individuals and what we're all about...

Absence (or is it Abstinence?) makes the heart grow fonder

Postby Zom » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:52 am

Born into this world as Steve Galloway, I moved to Bowling Green in 1979, took a bruising with MIS, realigned my major, and graduated in 1983 with a degree from Arts & Sciences.

I returned to the UK, bought a second hand Volvo, learned the truth about money in the financial services industry, and woke up one morning to realize my work really had nothing to do with financial services, but rather a lot to do with computer networks.

Insatiably curious about how 2 computers talked together, I went back to "school". Conventionally, love and money make the world go round, but evidently IP does too.

Thankfully, Volvo were still the word in reliability, so I started again and bought a second hand Volvo. I remember leaving the forecourt wondering how easy life would be if only Microsoft was as reliable as a Volvo and an Apache web server.

I have 2 daughters, George(ina) and Henri(etta). Nothing to do with wanting boys - just liked the idea of girls with boys names. In case they don't, they also answer to Sophie and Phoebe.

I deal in domain names and various IT solutions in the UK and the Eastern Mediterranean, primarily the Greek islands, primarily Crete. I live in North Wales' rugged countryside, about 45 mintures out of Liverpool, and an hour from Machester.

Since I grew up in the UK, I played a lot of rugby, but I never played football (as opposed to soccer), much as I wanted to. It hasn't dimmed my fascination for the sport, college football particularly. These days, mountain biking, skiing, sailing, and mountaineering keep me feeling young. And AZZ.
Zom
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BgWaRrIoR » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:24 am

Very interesting, 4 years after the fact. I would say welcome but.....eh.....well you know..........
"Fault finding is like window washing. All the dirt seems to be on the other side."

"When life hands you paper jams, make paper footballs."
BgWaRrIoR
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby goofyeuph » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:27 am

I have been curious about something for sometime. How does a Brit end up in NW Ohio for University? I'm not questioning why, I know why :wink: , just more of how.
TSASOTFMB!!!!
goofyeuph
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby h2oville rocket » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:28 pm

"Thankfully, Volvo were still the word in reliability, "

As a freshman we ran a series of track meets against the Canadian Junior National team and the Bermudian National team in Bermuda. The next day the headline in the Hamilton paper read "Toledo Win Big Meet". I still have the paper-thought it was very odd- "two countries seperated by a common language" and all. When you're ready for Denali let me know-love to give it a go some day.
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby h2oville rocket » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:33 pm

Its like the time when Ted Turner's ex-wife went to the doctor and was diagnosed with an enlarged heart. When asked if she had any recent lifestyle changes she confessed that she had become enamored with a thick, anise flavored liqueur. To which the doctor replied "Don't you know that absinthe makes the heart grow, Fonda?"
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Rightupinthere » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:52 am

You have a couple of beautiful daughters Zom. George looks to be a natural in the galley.

Good on ya, mate.
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere
Mercenary of Churlishness
Mercenary of Churlishness

Return to Member Bios