The Freak

Who we are as individuals and what we're all about...

The Freak

Postby Falconfreak90 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:06 pm

Most that post here know me already...for better or worse! :lol:

I am James Michael Wherley, BGSU Class of 1990. I live in Green (next best place to Bowling Green!) just south of Akron. I have a beautiful wife, Dana, and 2 future Falcon football players in Josh, 8, and Jake, 5. Dana did attend a university in Columbus that shall remain nameless at this time. But she is a converted Falcon and proudly sports the Brown and Orange at the games she attends.

Both my parents are 1964 BGSU grads (Jim and Betty) and my older sister, Brenda, is a 1987 BG grad. My younger sister Beth, attended BG for one year and then transferred to Kent State...and has been shunned by the family ever since. :wink: I have numerous cousins, aunts and uncles that have attended BGSU as well.

I enrolled at BG in 1986 after graduating from Dover High School in Dover, Oh. GO TORNADOES!!! My first few visits were in the early 80's when Brenda was a student and I would ride along when the parents visited. I thought BGSU was the coolest place! Although I didn't think much of the landscape. By 1984, I knew where I was going to attend college.

I have a BAC of Arts and Sciences/Communications. I used to work in rock radio until the evil empire Cheap Channel took over. I've been working at Newark InOne, the largest distributor of electronics in North America, for the last 4 years. I don't care for my job but, unlike my radio days, I have all holidays and, more importantly, weekends off. Saturdays in the fall MUST be clear for Falcon Football!

I would describe myself as one of the most rabid Falcon fans on the planet. I love attending all sports events no matter how big or small. This past May we watched the softball team win the MAC Tourney here in Akron and that was very exciting. I follow hoops, hockey, softball, baseball, soccer and everything in between. But there is one that stands above the rest for me....FOOTBALL! I've been a huge BG football fan for almost 20 years and this team is the ultimate for me. When the No Fun League allowed my beloved Browns to leave Cleveland in 1995, I really started to get back into college ball like never before. I started buying season tickets for BG in 1996 and will til the day I die. I kissed the NFL goodbye and will never go back. College football rules the planet!! After God and family, Falcon Football is the most important thing to me. And seeing the turnaround in the last 3 years makes it very special. We are on the brink of something HUGE here at BG with the football program. It will never be the same again...and that rocks!!

All in all, I loved the time I was a student at BGSU...the classes, parties, sporting events and the town. It is hard for me to believe its been almost 15 years since I left! But the best thing about my experiences at BGSU are all the life long friends I've met and stayed in touch. And then Grant starts this site and I meet a bunch more!! Thanks G! Lots of folks from different schools such as Ohio U, Miami, UT and others make fun of BG's "lack" of scenery. Well, those places can have the scenery. I'll take the genuine people at BG anyday. You won't find more honest and genuine people anywhere!

BGSU is a very special place and always will be...those that never went there just don't understand. GO FALCONS!!!!
Michael W.
BGSU-12 TIME MAC CHAMPION
FALCON FOOTBALL ROCKS!
Falconfreak90
Rubber City Falcon
Rubber City Falcon

Postby BgWaRrIoR » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:27 pm

You are my kind of fan. It doesn't matter what sport, just freakin' cheer!!!!! :supz:
"Fault finding is like window washing. All the dirt seems to be on the other side."

"When life hands you paper jams, make paper footballs."
BgWaRrIoR
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Freakling1 » Sat May 30, 2009 7:55 pm

DAD IS AWESOME!
Freakling1

Postby h2oville rocket » Sat May 30, 2009 8:45 pm

Of course UT has great scenery AND genuine, cool people. But then there are very genuine, cool people every place I've ever been, incuding BG. So that brings us back to scenery.... ;-)
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re:

Postby Falconfreak90 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:39 pm

h2oville rocket wrote:Of course UT has great scenery AND genuine, cool people. But then there are very genuine, cool people every place I've ever been, incuding BG. So that brings us back to scenery.... ;-)

Well, the some of the scenery at BG is great....MAC beach for instance. :-D

There are cool people at UT? I find that hard to believe. :wink:
Michael W.
BGSU-12 TIME MAC CHAMPION
FALCON FOOTBALL ROCKS!
Falconfreak90
Rubber City Falcon
Rubber City Falcon

Re: Re:

Postby h2oville rocket » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:42 pm

Falconfreak90 wrote:
h2oville rocket wrote:Of course UT has great scenery AND genuine, cool people. But then there are very genuine, cool people every place I've ever been, incuding BG. So that brings us back to scenery.... ;-)

Did you just remember this forum was here or something? :-D

Yeah. LOTS of very cool people. Like everywhere else I go- Gotta be open to it, then almost everybody is cool, at least some of the time. I took a Stats final on St. Patty's Day one year and afterwards went to the local UT tavern to drink green beer- after 1 or 2-pitchers- the guy turned to me and said"You know- in thirty years you won't remember sh!t from this test but you'll remember drinking green beer with Joey Albers at the Brass Bell" and he was right. that was the essence of college for me- the diversity of experience, intellect, culture after growing up in a fairly homogenous community. I loved every day I spent at UT and every day I have the opportunity to go back there. But I also had some great times at BG while I was in school, mostly involving the fair sex, but running track, partying, concerts, etc were all a part of that as well.

I always suspect (hope?) you're kidding about your fanatacism to a certain extent but I would be concerned about the quality of one's school experience if he/she really believed that OSU alums were truly evil :twisted: or that BG alums had tails :snakeman: or that UT alums all delivered pizzas. I doubt if its even 50%.
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby rood » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:33 pm

h2oville rocket wrote:
Falconfreak90 wrote:

Did you just remember this forum was here or something? :-D

Yeah. LOTS of very cool people. Like everywhere else I go- Gotta be open to it, then almost everybody is cool, at least some of the time. I took a Stats final on St. Patty's Day one year and afterwards went to the local UT tavern to drink green beer- after 1 or 2-pitchers- the guy turned to me and said"You know- in thirty years you won't remember sh!t from this test but you'll remember drinking green beer with Joey Albers at the Brass Bell" and he was right. that was the essence of college for me- the diversity of experience, intellect, culture after growing up in a fairly homogenous community. I loved every day I spent at UT and every day I have the opportunity to go back there. But I also had some great times at BG while I was in school, mostly involving the fair sex, but running track, partying, concerts, etc were all a part of that as well.

I always suspect (hope?) you're kidding about your fanatacism to a certain extent but I would be concerned about the quality of one's school experience if he/she really believed that OSU alums were truly evil :twisted: or that BG alums had tails :snakeman: or that UT alums all delivered pizzas. I doubt if its even 50%.

Only "fair" sex? You obviously didn't meet the right girls at BG! :lol:
I love people who can laugh at themselves. It saves me the effort.
rood
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby h2oville rocket » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:03 pm

rood wrote:Only "fair" sex? You obviously didn't meet the right girls at BG! :lol:

Fair in the sense that I got some and it was only fair that I did. :mrgreen:
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Member Bios