Toddpav's AZZ Falcon Bio!

Who we are as individuals and what we're all about...

Toddpav's AZZ Falcon Bio!

Postby toddpav » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:54 pm

Hey there, everyone.

I've lurked around these boards for years after my buddy Chase turned me onto them a few years back. Never joined until all this stuff got going with the hockey program and such. That's the cliffnotes bio.

My name is Todd (Pavlack... hence the toddpav). I was born in New Jersey in 1984, and moved to Indiana, and then settled in Milford, Ohio (just east of Cincinnati). I did 1st-12th grade down there. In high school, I was co-editor in chief of my high school newspaper, and lead photographer and computer designer for three years. Photography was my true hobby. I picked it up in 7th grade, and its always been a passion for me.

In high school, I was "classically" trained in photography. That is, I learned how to shoot, develop and expose all of my own photographs (in black and white). It was truly an exciting experience. Also in high school, I took a lot of AP classes, and I was always considered the brain in my family. I passed every AP exam with at least a 4, and got a 5 on the rest. I applied to just a few colleges. Michigan State was at the top of my list. I also applied to Ohio State. Those were my only two choices. At the advice of my fellow editor in chief, I applied at BGSU, where he was going to school starting the next year (he was a national merit finalist, so he got a full ride). I was accepted to all three schools, and chose to do a summer term at MSU to see how I liked it.

Well, I loved it. Campus was great. People were great. Classes were great. Just one problem. It was expensive, so I decided to officially go to BGSU. I figured... BGSU was still in state, so I'd get a good price on tuition, and it was far enough away from home that my parents couldn't just "come up" for a day trip unannounced. I started my freshman year at BGSU in the Fall of 2002.

I came in as a Poly Sci major... but that quickly changed when I realized I was one of the only conservative minded majors in the program. So, instead of going an "academic" route, I chose to enter the VCT program and continue on with photography, graphic design, and my new love... videography. My parents were stunned that I didn't choose a more scientific major... but I did all that stuff in high school. College was my time to relax.

VCT was easy for me. I picked up video on my own and taught myself everything I know through playing around with the software (I'm now Final Cut Pro certified) and I picked up numerous side jobs shooting videos of weddings. I made a pretty good living doing it, too. However, I picked up a job at the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Technology as a lab assistant. I taught faculty how to video edit, and also taught/consulted for numerous clients dealing with digital media. It was truly a rewarding experience. This is where my love of teaching came to fruition. While in my senior year, I discussed with by boss at CTLT about going to graduate school to get my M.Ed. She agreed that it would be good for me to teach, so I applied to the Career and Technology Education Program (in the college of technology) and I got accepted. More importantly, I also got a teaching assistantship. I was able to teach VCT classes 20 hours a week, and my grad school was paid for. I loved it. Graduated with my Masters of Education (with Chase) in December of 2008.

Throughout my VCT career, I was a video guy. Day in and out, I shot footage, edited, and shot footage and edited some more. I still had my original film SLR and my original lenses. Then, a few months ago (around March, I think), I got the inkling to get back into Photography. I had a full time job as an Instructional Designer at Terra State Community College, and it was time for me to make a decision. Stick with video and pick up random side jobs (=lots of work) or switch back to photo and still do video sometimes. I made the decision to get a new camera (my first DSLR ever), a Nikon D300, and I picked up a few nice lenses, and started shooting again. And I loved/do love/will always love it. I missed it a lot.

I wanted to start shooting sports again (since that's what I did in high school) so I started thinking about how to get a pass for the BGSU games. I love BGSU athletics. Mostly Hockey, and then Football, and a little basketball here and there. So, I contacted some people, and then I got the idea of asking Grant if he wanted photos for this site. He said yes, and that's how I got here!

I know its a lot to read, and if you've made it this far, congrats! I look forward to getting to know all of you. If anyone ever sees any photo of mine that they want in a larger quality or higher resolution version, just let me know. I'm always happy to share!

Thanks for reading. Roll Along!
-Todd
Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba Photographer
toddpav
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Toddpav's AZZ Falcon Bio!

Postby 1987alum » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:34 am

Todd:

Welcome to the nest!
Hey, look at me! I'm all over the InterWebs!
Facebook ~ Twitter @ CoachKarlPA ~ LinkedIn
1987alum
Noah's Dad
Noah's Dad

Postby Falcon137 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:00 am

Welcome Todd. The Boise pictures are great! Looking forward to more in the future.

I have family that lives down in Milford, it's amazing how much that city has grown in the last 10 years or so.
Falcon137
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby toddpav » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:28 pm

Falcon137 wrote:Welcome Todd. The Boise pictures are great! Looking forward to more in the future.

I have family that lives down in Milford, it's amazing how much that city has grown in the last 10 years or so.

Where in Milford do they live?
Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba Photographer
toddpav
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falcon137 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:50 pm

toddpav wrote:
Falcon137 wrote:Welcome Todd. The Boise pictures are great! Looking forward to more in the future.

Where in Milford do they live?

I think the development is named Autumn Wynd. Pretty close to the high school.
Falcon137
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Member Bios