Ydfalcon

Who we are as individuals and what we're all about...

Ydfalcon

Postby Ydfalcon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:22 am

I suppose I should make my formal introduction here after hanging around making occasional posts for the last several months.

My actual name is Eric Weide. The last name is pronounced like "whitey" or the letter Y, followed by the letter D. (Hence the nickname "yd" I have among friends and, coupled with BG, why I use the name "Ydfalcon" nearly everywhere I have an existence on the internet. I am currently a senior at BG, but before that I grew up in the Dayton area. For those familiar, I lived in Huber Heights up until I started high school, when we moved to Beavercreek. While at Beavercreek High School, I ran cross country and track for the school, and also took up cycling and ultimate frisbee as side hobbies. I still run a few times a year, and enjoy a game of pick-up ultimate with friends, but cycling is the only one that I can say I still do with regularity. It was also during my time in high school that I truly became the music fan I am today.

I would certainly not describe myself as having any musical talent, but I am a big fan of it. I tend to stick mostly the various sub-genres within rock and roll, from oldies to classic rock to a few modern bands as well, but admittedly it takes a special modern band for me to like them, as a lot of it seems to be rather weak these days. A few years ago, I started collecting records (as in those pieces of vinyl with music on them), and while my collection isn't the kind of thing you saw John Cusack's character have in "High Fidelity," it does have a few gems in it here and there.

I am (for about another month) a member of the Ohio Air National Guard, based out of Springfield. I joined right out of high school to help pay for college and now, six years later, it's been a really good experience. I decided to get out because my term of enlistment is up in April and it just feels like a good time to be as unattached as possible, when I am about to graduate, and am recently engaged to a girl in Knoxville, TN, where I am planning to move as well as attempting to find a job in the event planning/promotions field.

The aforementioned fiancee is a Tennessee student, and through her, I have added the Vols to my list of college teams I follow, but BG will always be number one in my heart, even living in Knoxville. I am somewhat proud that I was never afflicted with the osu (intentionally lowercase) virus. Some of my best friends are fervent buckeye supporters, but I had friends at a young age who were Penn State fans, and I decided to root for them. As time went on, the PSU fan side in me died down, right as the BG fan emerged. I am also a big Reds fan, having grown up so close to Cincinnati, with two parents who grew up in Delhi and are both Reds fans as well.

For the time being, I work at the wonderful BG Meijer in the Deli. If you happen to stop by, I'm the guy with the BG, Reds and Tennessee logos on my name tag. There's of course more to me than that, but as you can probably already tell, I am extremely long-winded in written form, and so I don't want to keep anyone any longer than I already have. I am looking forward to lurking about making posts when I feel drawn to, and otherwise using what I can already attest is a great site (Thanks Grant!) to keep on BG news from afar once I move. Go Falcons! Roll Along!
- yd
Ydfalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Jacobs4Heisman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:01 pm

Welcome to the site - you must have been pretty excited at the Clawson hire as a Vols fan.

I thought yd stood far yard. :)
Roll Along!
Jacobs4Heisman
a.k.a. Capt. Rex Kramer
a.k.a. Capt. Rex Kramer

Postby Ydfalcon » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:30 pm

Jacobs4Heisman wrote:Welcome to the site - you must have been pretty excited at the Clawson hire as a Vols fan.

I thought yd stood far yard. :)

A lot of people do think that before they find out. And as for the Clawson hire, I was fairly excited about that. A lot of Vols fans were glad to see him go from Knoxville because he kinda got scapegoated for their really bad season last year, but from my standpoint, he walked into a bad situation and in trying to implement a whole new system at a school of that size with I'm sure a bunch of players, fans and coaches who said "that's not how we do things here in Tennessee" at least part of the time, not to mention doing it with a new quarterback, and in the SEC, under a head coach like "Fat Phil" Fulmer, he was bound to have some struggles for at least that first year. I am really excited to see him take the reins here at BG and I feel pretty confident he will do well here.
- yd
Ydfalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby The Niz » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:56 pm

I worked in the receiving department at Meijer this past off season. Thank gooodness its over with.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby transfer2BGSU » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:06 pm

Which unit are you with? I was with the 269th CCSQ in Radio Ops (among other things)
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby h2oville rocket » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:54 pm

Great to have another UT fan on board! :-D
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Ydfalcon » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:21 pm

h2oville rocket wrote:Great to have another UT fan on board! :-D

Only thing is, the UT I root for is the University of Tennessee. I still think Toledo sucks. :twisted:
- yd
Ydfalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Ydfalcon » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:24 pm

transfer2BGSU wrote:Which unit are you with? I was with the 269th CCSQ in Radio Ops (among other things)

178th LRS, working as a forward liaison in the Avionics building. I actually am one of the rare ones in supply who has managed to stay in the same section, under the same supervisor, for all six years. This weekend will be my last drill though.

When were you with the 269th?
- yd
Ydfalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Ydfalcon

Postby Ydfalcon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:24 pm

Updates are good, right?

After quite a long search, I finally found a job in Knoxville, TN, at a Buffalo Wild Wings about 20 min. from my fiancee's apartment. It almost definitely will not be a career move, but it gets me in the area and between it and her job, can pay our bills. Like a lot of young couples, things will be tight financially speaking these first few years but we know we can weather it.

In conjunction with the move, she and I will be getting married next month. It's going to be a very small affair, with our immediate families and grandparents only, but neither of us is the type to enjoy having a big fuss made over us. We'd rather gather those closest to us and have a small celebration of the start of our lives together.

It will be an adjustment for me living full-time in the South now, but I'm very much looking forward to it, and as I made a semi-BG fan out of her, I'm sure that we will come back periodically to attend games and make the requisite stop at Myles'.
- yd
Ydfalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby transfer2BGSU » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:25 am

Ydfalcon wrote:
It will be an adjustment for me living full-time in the South now, but I'm very much looking forward to it, and as I made a semi-BG fan out of her, I'm sure that we will come back periodically to attend games and make the requisite stop at Myles'.

Just remember -

Y'all is singular
All y'all is plural

Learn what the locals consider barbeque - pork or beef

It's Coke (even if it's Pepsi, it's still called Coke)

There are two types of tea - Regular and sweet (they know you're a Yankee if you drink sweet tea)

It's known as the "War of Northern Aggression" and not the Civil War

Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store or at Hooters.

They don't care how you did things back North.
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Ydfalcon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:20 pm

transfer2BGSU wrote:
Ydfalcon wrote:

Just remember -

Y'all is singular
All y'all is plural

There are two types of tea - Regular and sweet (they know you're a Yankee if you drink sweet tea)

Ha, well, I've been making enough visits the last three and a half years to know just which of those are true and which aren't. ;-)

It is appreciated though.
- yd
Ydfalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby h2oville rocket » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 pm

transfer2BGSU wrote:
Ydfalcon wrote:

Just remember -

Y'all is singular
All y'all is plural

Hmmm, I don't drink tea but when my daughter ordered it in Charleston last year they asked her "You want that Yankee or sweet?"
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:17 pm

h2oville rocket wrote:
transfer2BGSU wrote:
Ydfalcon wrote:

Just remember -

Y'all is singular
All y'all is plural

Hmmm, I don't drink tea but when my daughter ordered it in Charleston last year they asked her "You want that Yankee or sweet?"

Yeah...I think he got that backwards. Sweet tea is the norm in the south.
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Ydfalcon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:23 pm

BGFan wrote:
h2oville rocket wrote:
transfer2BGSU wrote:
Ydfalcon wrote:

Just remember -

Y'all is singular
All y'all is plural

Yeah...I think he got that backwards. Sweet tea is the norm in the south.

I would say so. Besides, it's not "regular" anyway. It's "sweet" or "unsweet."

Oh, and y'all is still plural, it's just a smaller group than "all y'all" is.
- yd
Ydfalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Member Bios