San Fran Falcon

Who we are as individuals and what we're all about...

San Fran Falcon

Postby San Fran Falcon » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:10 pm

Hey gang! I've tooled around on this site for the last 2 years, but I finally felt compelled to join. I know I've probably tailgated with some of you, as I hung out at the tent for pre-game festivities back in 2005 before the Toledo game. Omar's last game in the brown and orange (a moment of silence please).
Hmm...where to start? I don't want to bore you with my entire autobiography. Basicly, I became an Ohioan by way of Philadelphia and L.A. So, moving to a small, rural northeast Ohio town at the age of 12 was quite the culture shock. My years in Ohio were good, but the best, by far, were from 1993-1997 at good 'ol BG!
I graduated in December '97 with a degree in Exercise Physiology. While at BG, I lived in Dunbar Hall and Rogers my 1st two years. My last 2 years were off-campus at 926 and 1030 E. Wooster respectively. Maybe some of you partied with me and my 8 other roomies. We had some legendary keggers in '95 and '96! I ran track and cross-country and also played a little club rugby during my time in school.
Since college, I've managed to get around. Immediately following graduation I worked back home in the Akron area as a personal trainer. From there I moved to upstate NY to coach track and x-country at a small D-III college (Hartwick Hawks) for a year. After finally realizing I couldn't stand snow and dark, frigid winter days, I packed up for sunny Phoenix, AZ. Best move of my life. While there, I met my wife of 7 years now (an Arkansas grad...Oooh Pig Suiee!). We've followed her career since 2003. From Phoenix...we landed in Rochester, NY briefly; and then back to MAC country in the Detroit Metro area. It was great being able to make random trips back down to BG and reconnect with old friends. However, after 3 years it was time to pack up once again. This falcon has now landed in San Francisco, CA where my wife and I have now been for just over 2 years now. We love it here (except for the Giants fans...they're worse than cleveland fans :P ). It really is a fantastic city. I sell residential and commercial fitness equipment for a west coast dealer, so I'm still kinda sorta using my degree. (Update.. not selling anything..my company did the whole ch. 11 thing.)
I try to keep active with my free-time. I run marathons and play in league sports. My wife and I also keep busy by taking our almost 3 yr. old puppy to play at the beach.
We're also avid sports fans. College football being both of our favorite to watch. Although, she's an SEC fan I still love her. Nobody's perfect. Obviously, I bleed Brown and Orange, but I'm a huge Penn State fan. Those are my PA roots coming out, plus my uncle has taught there for over 27 years. Been to many games in Happy Valley. If it weren't for wanting to run at BG, I would have ended up in State College. As far as my other favorite teams....anything Philly is #1 (How 'bout them Phils in '08?), the NY Jets (thanks to my dad..he's a native New Yorker), and after having lived in Detroit and spending many summer afternoons at Comerica Park, I've adopted the Tigers as my A.L. team. I did go to over 30 games between 2004 and 2005, so I did NOT hop on the bandwagon.
Well, that's me in a nutshell. Glad I've found a little taste of home with this site. By the way, my name is B.J. (Bob Joseph) Ricketts. Although, living in San Francisco, I go by Bob or Rob. :)
San Fran Falcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: San Fran Falcon

Postby TG1996 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:46 pm

San Fran Falcon wrote: my name is B.J. (Bob Joseph) Ricketts. Although, living in San Francisco, I go by Bob.

Now THAT'S comedy! :lol:

I knew a few folks that played rugby around that time, but I can't remember when, exactly. Ah well....welcome! Again! :-D
"I don't believe I can name a coach, anywhere, anytime, anyhow, who did it better than Doyt Perry."
-1955 BG Assistant Bo Schembechler

BGSUsports.com - Where ESPN.com goes for BG history.
TG1996
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby tiznow » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:59 pm

Welcome aboard. I don't know about that Penn State stuff. Just kidding. I grew up in PGH and I have always hated Penn State. That feeling became more so when half of my high school went there.

The company I work for has a division in San Ramon. I got to miss the heavy snow fall here in February, and stay out there two weeks. It is beautiful out there. Again welcome aboard.
tiznow
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby h2oville rocket » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:12 pm

Always disappointing to hear an ex-trackster say that football is his favorite sport to watch. :roll: Nevertheless its good to have a fellow harrier/track guy on board. Of course I ran for the dark side, as you can figure from my screen name. BG had a great track/cc tradition-killed me when BG and UT cut the men's side.
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby San Fran Falcon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:24 am

Wow! Didn't think anyone would look at what I typed. Thanks for the welcome.
Just for shits and giggles.....

TG, did you know Dave Lawson or Eric Clevidence? They were ruggers. If you go to the BG rugby website, you can find former alums. I don't make the list because I played for less than a year. And, I only played C side (which is like Class-A ball). Although, I did manage to score a try (touchdown) during my tenure. I also screwed up my neck going after a loose ball and having a 280 lb. guy land on my head. Not fun considering I'm only 150 lbs. Good times! I always enjoy a sport that encourages drinking though.

Tiz, sorry you hate PSU, but you gotta love PA. And I'm sure we share the same hatred towards Browns fans!

H2O, glad to see we're fellow harriers. Are you still hitting the pavement/trails? What events did you run? The only defect I see is that you were a Rocket. I was disappointed as well when the track programs were no longer.

Take care! Again, thanks for the warm welcome!
San Fran Falcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TG1996 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:35 am

San Fran Falcon wrote:TG, did you know Dave Lawson or Eric Clevidence? They were ruggers. If you go to the BG rugby website, you can find former alums. I don't make the list because I played for less than a year. And, I only played C side (which is like Class-A ball). Although, I did manage to score a try (touchdown) during my tenure. I also screwed up my neck going after a loose ball and having a 280 lb. guy land on my head. Not fun considering I'm only 150 lbs. Good times! I always enjoy a sport that encourages drinking though.

Eric's name sounds familiar for some reason, but I don't think I knew him or Dave. My brother played for a year or two, but I don't think he started until '98 or '99. The one guy I remember playing around the time you might have been there is Phil Eletto. Seems like there are more that I knew, but I'm drawing a blank...
"I don't believe I can name a coach, anywhere, anytime, anyhow, who did it better than Doyt Perry."

TG1996
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby tiznow » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:17 am

Tiz, sorry you hate PSU, but you gotta love PA. And I'm sure we share the same hatred towards Browns fans!

I agree about the Browns. Living in Indianapolis, Colts fans are getting there. Browns fans for the most part are passionate and knowledgeable. Colt fans do no have a clue. I didn't grow up a Pitt fan either. Most of Western Pa is Penn State territory. Quick Penn State story. A friend of mine from high school went to PSU and met his fiancee there as well. I went to their wedding over in Philly. The wedding party was in Blue and White. I was not in the wedding party. During pictures, instead of "cheese" they said "Paterno".

At the wedding reception, one half of the room chanted "Jo Pa", and thern the other side chanted "Terno". This went on often throughout the evening. Alcohol did not help relieve the annoyance.
tiznow
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Jacobs4Heisman » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:30 am

One more Browns-hater on the site has to be a good thing!

Welcome aboard, B.J. :wink:
Roll Along!
Jacobs4Heisman
a.k.a. Capt. Rex Kramer
a.k.a. Capt. Rex Kramer

Postby Flipper » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:35 am

TG1996 wrote:
San Fran Falcon wrote: my name is B.J. (Bob Joseph) Ricketts. Although, living in San Francisco, I go by Bob.

I knew a few folks that played rugby around that time, but I can't remember when, exactly. Ah well....welcome! Again! :-D

Yep...now he just has to avoid being linked to anyone named Neal...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby h2oville rocket » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:14 am

3200, 10,000, 100 meters, pole vault, triple jump, any distance relay, mile. Easier to list these- the only ones I DIDN'T do at some point in college. We were a pretty small team and I had a nice mix of slow and fast twitch fibers which meant I could do everything and noe of it well. Mostly, though, I was a high jumper. Did run a couple cross country meets my Freshman year and did 4 years of that in HS. Gave it up about 3 or 4 years ago anticipating pain in my knees and just because it really sucks to hurt that bad anymore. :D
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby San Fran Falcon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:46 pm

tiznow wrote:Tiz, sorry you hate PSU, but you gotta love PA. And I'm sure we share the same hatred towards Browns fans!

I agree about the Browns. Living in Indianapolis, Colts fans are getting there. Browns fans for the most part are passionate and knowledgeable. Colt fans do no have a clue. I didn't grow up a Pitt fan either. Most of Western Pa is Penn State territory. Quick Penn State story. A friend of mine from high school went to PSU and met his fiancee there as well. I went to their wedding over in Philly. The wedding party was in Blue and White. I was not in the wedding party. During pictures, instead of "cheese" they said "Paterno".

At the wedding reception, one half of the room chanted "Jo Pa", and thern the other side chanted "Terno". This went on often throughout the evening. Alcohol did not help relieve the annoyance.

Really? I didn't know Colts fans were that irritating. It must be tons more annoying since they're fresh off their Super Bowl run.
I like your PSU story. Sorry the booze didn't help. I guess I can imagine how you felt. I wouldn't be too happy if you put me in a scarlet and grey wedding.
San Fran Falcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby San Fran Falcon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:48 pm

Jacobs4Heisman wrote:One more Browns-hater on the site has to be a good thing!

Welcome aboard, B.J. :wink:

Thanks! The more Browns haters, the merrier.
San Fran Falcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby San Fran Falcon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:53 pm

h2oville rocket wrote:3200, 10,000, 100 meters, pole vault, triple jump, any distance relay, mile. Easier to list these- the only ones I DIDN'T do at some point in college. We were a pretty small team and I had a nice mix of slow and fast twitch fibers which meant I could do everything and noe of it well. Mostly, though, I was a high jumper. Did run a couple cross country meets my Freshman year and did 4 years of that in HS. Gave it up about 3 or 4 years ago anticipating pain in my knees and just because it really sucks to hurt that bad anymore. :D

Wow, quite the multi-tasker. Can't say I knew anybody who could run the 10,000m and high jump. I did 400m and up. I was nothing special. Pretty much a "middle of the pack" guy. I'm still pluggin' away though. Shootin' for my 5th Boston marathon. Although, my body occasionally reminds that I ain't 20 years old anymore.
San Fran Falcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby San Fran Falcon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:58 pm

TG1996 wrote:

Glad someone got that. I still don't know why ma' and pa' couldn't go with "RJ".
San Fran Falcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TG1996 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:29 pm

Yeah, Colts fans are a treat. I don't think they're necessarily obnoxious in the "get in your face and swear at you" sort of way, but they're annoying all the same, in their own way.

TG1996
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Member Bios