The Athletic: Jinks interview

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

The Athletic: Jinks interview

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:54 am

Link for those who has a subscription:

https://theathletic.com/1100586/2019/07 ... directed=1

Here are the BG talking points:

How tough was the end over there at Bowling Green?

It’s always tough when you’ve got 10 full-time coaches, strength staff, 14, 15 families that not getting things taken care of or things ended the way they did affected. Not just yourself, but it affected all of them. That was probably the toughest part of all of it.

What did the experience of being a head coach teach you?

The biggest thing I can tell you is I’ve got a different outlook or perspective on what’s important. These jobs come and go, and the only thing you can control is your approach and how you go about your work and how you treat people on a day-to-day basis.

Would you do anything differently if you had the chance?

There are a ton of things I’d do differently. Starting with being a little more patient, maybe, throughout the hiring process to knowing exactly what you’re walking into. And what are the strengths of the program, not just from an athletic standpoint but from a support staff standpoint. Just do a little more research.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: The Athletic: Jinks interview

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:00 pm

jpfalcon09 wrote:Link for those who has a subscription:

https://theathletic.com/1100586/2019/07 ... directed=1

Here are the BG talking points:

How tough was the end over there at Bowling Green?

It’s always tough when you’ve got 10 full-time coaches, strength staff, 14, 15 families that not getting things taken care of or things ended the way they did affected. Not just yourself, but it affected all of them. That was probably the toughest part of all of it.

What did the experience of being a head coach teach you?

The biggest thing I can tell you is I’ve got a different outlook or perspective on what’s important. These jobs come and go, and the only thing you can control is your approach and how you go about your work and how you treat people on a day-to-day basis.

There are a ton of things I’d do differently. Starting with being a little more patient, maybe, throughout the hiring process to knowing exactly what you’re walking into. And what are the strengths of the program, not just from an athletic standpoint but from a support staff standpoint. Just do a little more research.

I read this, too. Ultimately, for me, it boils down to a coach being over eager to step into a position he wasn't entirely ready for because of one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen any athletic director make. I place 99.9% of the blame with Kingston for the entire situation.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:38 pm

Kingston had no business hiring him. Jinks was woefully unprepared and hired a staff that was even less prepared. The blame for this fiasco lies squarely at the feet of Kingston. Jinks was clueless...didn't understand the challenges ahead...didn't understand how to overcome them. You can't blame someone that under qualified for failing...it was the inevitable outcome of hiring him.

You can only blame the guy who hired him
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby FalconTurf » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:22 pm

Flipper wrote:Kingston had no business hiring him. Jinks was woefully unprepared and hired a staff that was even less prepared. The blame for this fiasco lies squarely at the feet of Kingston. Jinks was clueless...didn't understand the challenges ahead...didn't understand how to overcome them. You can't blame someone that under qualified for failing...it was the inevitable outcome of hiring him.

You can only blame the guy who hired him

Absolutely! I’ve coached MS, a Grand Canyon or 5 from being prepared to assist at BG and I would have trouble passing on Jink’s contract if offered. Look at the great jobs he’s been offered since. Kingston killed the program while making Mike Jinks a solid commodity in the coaching world.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:43 pm

FalconTurf wrote:while making Mike Jinks a solid commodity in the coaching world.

This is a joke, right? Jinks was offered a job by his old boss. The same job Jinks held previously but in a new location. That's not a commodity ... that sounds a bit more like charity. IMO Jinks would be an OC someplace in Texas now in an alternate reality where Kingston made a good hire in 2015 and everybody would be better off right now.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Antimob » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:41 pm

jpfalcon09 wrote:

Starting with being a little more patient, maybe, throughout the hiring process to knowing exactly what you’re walking into. And what are the strengths of the program, not just from an athletic standpoint but from a support staff standpoint. Just do a little more research.

In other words, he wouldn't have taken the job because he later learned the support staff was inadequate.

Loeffler has a DFO, a director of player personnel, 4 GA's, a video coordinator and a strength coach. We could use a couple more GA's and a couple more full-time strength guys but what we've got now is at the very least adequate in relation to other MAC schools.

His downfall was not hiring Division I FBS caliber assistants and not focusing enough on the lines of scrimmage in recruiting. He should have been given more time but that's on him.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Flipper » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:13 am

He should have been given more time? To do what...completely destroy the program? Waiting for him to " get it" here would have been like watching a puppy solve Rubik's cube...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby MarkL » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:07 am

Carl Pelini was the right kind of hire. Local guy, veteran coach, knows recruiting in key areas. If Jinks' initial staff was a blend of Texas buddies he knows and guys like Pelini, the story may have had a tremendously different ending. But chances are Jinks a) didn't realize the value of veteran and local coaches and b) didn't know anyone to even consider.

He was in over his head and never should have been put in the position he was. However he also never should have accepted it. I have turned down jobs I did not feel I fully understood. When you are in a comfortable job earning good money, you are in a position to say no to a job. That certainly qualifies for Mike Jinks' position in 2015.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:09 am

Jinks should have been given more time? He got a full season too many and at least a million dollars too much. The Kingston crew will always be credited with this disaster. It will forever be his legacy at BGSU, especially since he bolted before it probably had gotten worse for him.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:10 am

MarkL wrote:
FalconTurf wrote:while making Mike Jinks a solid commodity in the coaching world.

This is a joke, right? Jinks was offered a job by his old boss. The same job Jinks held previously but in a new location. That's not a commodity ... that sounds a bit more like charity. IMO Jinks would be an OC someplace in Texas now in an alternate reality where Kingston made a good hire in 2015 and everybody would be better off right now.

NOPE, the fact that a high school coach with limited college experience and an epic failure as a head coach he has gotten positions that I would not expected him offered means he's a solid commodity. If appears will be in coaching football for a while. I would expect a new career after his time at BG. Would I hire him for my college staff? NOPE
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:40 am

The decision to relief Mike Jinks of his duties was almost perfectly timed. Eastern Kentucky ran all day on us. Nothing the Falcons did after that point shook the impression that the program was in serious trouble.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby It's the Journey... » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:14 pm

MarkL wrote:

I think you have the timing wrong. USC hired Jinks BEFORE they hired Kingsbury. So this was not a case of being hired by your old boss.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Jinks was hired after Kingsbury
Tony4BG
Chick
Chick

Postby Antimob » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:29 pm

I'm not arguing that the on-field results under Jinks weren't hideous and the search process that led to his hiring wasn't a joke.

I am arguing that he inherited a team with massive holes in the roster from substandard recruiting and a complete lack of discipline from a coach who considered sitting up straight in a chair to be a bad thing. In that situation a full roster turnover over multiple years was needed to fully expunge the remnants of the Babers era. He was in over his head initially and wholly unprepared staff-wise but was taking tangible steps to rectify this as evidenced by the Pelini hire. He also was hamstrung by brutal non-conference schedules that stomped out any chance of developing a younger roster.

Loeffler talks, acts and even sounds like another Clawson and we're in capable hands, but I can't say 2 1/2 years was enough for anyone to extinguish and rebuild the dumpster fire he inherited from a coach that was positioning himself for the next job after BG before he even took over at BG.

(Just as a reference, FAU went 3-9, 3-9, 3-9, fired Charlie Partridge and Lane Kiffin comes in and wins 11 games the next year with the players he recruited)
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby MarkL » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:35 pm

I hate to relitigate old issues but here it comes up again.

The whole "Jinks inherited a paper thin roster" excuse does not hold up. He inherited the following:
- a MAC divisional and bowl champ QB
- a career 1000 yard rusher
- the nation's most experienced offensive line
- one of the nation's best and most accomplished receiving corps
- 7 defensive starters from the 2015 MAC championship game

Under his watch, Lewis went pro, Deiter transferred, and Robbie Rhodes got into trouble. Who knows, maybe had Jinks been in Bowling Green rather than Texas Tech for bowl prep, some of that would have been different as he could have gotten to know his new team and appealed to them early and often about the 2016 offense. I didn't like it when Jinks stuck with his old team for bowl time and I didn't like that Loeffler did the same.

The excuse doesn't hold. At best you can talk about thin defensive depth. But that does not account for players who played well under Babers looking lost and confused under Jinks. The guy did not teach fundamentals adequately and did not have a staff that was prepared to be an FBS coaching staff in Ohio.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Football