A new fan to Bowling Green Football/Athletics

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

A new fan to Bowling Green Football/Athletics

Postby bgparent1708 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:15 pm

Hello Falcon Nation!! I'm a new fan to Bowling Green Football/Athletics. My daughter will be a freshman this upcoming fall. I just wanted to say hi to everyone and wish the fall teams good luck! If there is anything I need to know in being a new fan, I welcome all advice. Thanks and I look forward to catching some games this year.
bgparent1708
Egg
Egg

Re: A new fan to Bowling Green Football/Athletics

Postby Falconwriter » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:27 pm

Hi. Sadly, this site doesn't get a lot of traffic, especially this time of year. But welcome and congrats to your daughter. If her experience is like a lot of us, she'll make friends that will stay with her for life.

As for being a fan...I guess the most important thing is to "hate" (not the quotes) that university from the city just north of BG. No need to write out the name, it might break your monitor. What sport you ask? ALL of them.

If you have questions about specific sports, then go ahead and ask. There are some very good folks who check this site and have expertise on various sports. Football is really important, but we have gone through a couple bad years and the program has been set back. This year will probably be tough to watch, but Coach Loeffler is bringing in a very good class...one of the top 3 in the conference.

Basketball (both men and women) should be a lot of fun this year. The men bring back a lot of talent after finishing as league runners up a year ago, and the women have completely changed over their roster for an excellent coach. BG should get back to winning this season.

Hockey is all but king at BG...but we have a new coach this year, so it will be interesting to see how that goes. And BG is also in the process of leaving the current league WCHA and creating a new one with most members much closer. You can read about that in the hockey forum; there are some pretty detailed articles.

Again, welcome to the Nest as a fan. Talons Up!
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby bgparent1708 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:28 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'm looking forward to the upcoming year.
bgparent1708
Egg
Egg

Postby footballguy51 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:52 pm

If you enjoy volleyball, catch a few games. The team is great!

Also, encourage your daughter to attend as many games as she can. She gets in for free as a student.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:49 pm

Football off season so not a lot happening around here. In some years past there was a ton of media coverage of camp so lots to talk about but nothing this year, which is a bummer. Some quick tips ...
- Campus Polleyeyes. Check it out. Stuffed breadsticks. They're absurdly unhealthy. And amazing.
- the previous football coach destroyed the program both on and off the field. The future is bright, the new coaching staff is outstanding, but it will take some time. So if your daughter loses interest over a bad year, remind her that this is a build and the future is bright. She may even see bowl games and a conference championship as a student.
- tailgating for football is a lot of fun. Make sure you clean up after yourself. Most everyone does but on occasion there's a rotten apple.
- season tickets are super cheap. Even if you don't plan to come to many, it can be worth it. You can exchange the tickets for games you are not going to for games you are. I bought season tickets this year partly for the convenience and partly to show support for hiring a new coach.
- Bowling Green is often known for offense. We were one of the first awesome spread offenses before everyone ran the spread. Not sure what a Loeffler offense will look like.
- be ready for terrible weather at football games. Sometimes even freezing rain.
- typically the food is awful. But I heard food trucks at games are a thing now. I didn't make it to any games in 2018 out of a mix of apathy due to the previous coach and becoming a dad. I will be going to a game this year so hopefully I'll report improvement in the food department.
- I'm a football guy through and through. But other sports are fun as well. Hockey is a huge deal. It is such a fun environment and the loudest and most raucous crowd. I'm not a big basketball fan but the games are fun. Volleyball is a fun atmosphere. And even though I have seen paint drying in more interesting fashion than some soccer games, I recommend taking in some soccer too. The men's team is dramatically improved from my time and the women's team is the defending conference champion.

And some other non sports things to know as a parent.
- The arts at BG are really good. Between musicals on the new stage, film at the Gish theater, concerts at the music college, and just walking through the art building, there is a lot to take in. I am a men's chorus alum and those are some great concerts.
- Town is nice and very walkable. Tons of great restaurants. Easy Street Cafe is my favorite lunch spot.
- There's a 13 mile bike trail between Bowling Green and North Baltimore. Very well maintained though flat. I used to ride that a couple times a week after class. And campus is very bike friendly if that matters.
- It is hard to get in any real trouble in Bowling Green. It is a small, quiet, picturesque college town. And I miss town greatly.

What is she studying? I studied computer science. That got me into Purdue's cyber forensics program, which is recognized as the nationwide best. My career has been a lot of fun and I have become a recognizable face in the field. Even though I am far from Ohio now, everywhere my career takes me, everyone knows I am a Bowling Green alum.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby bgparent1708 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:38 pm

Thank you for all the info! I appreciate it. She is majoring in graphic communications with a concentration in film and photography. She's very excited. I was very impressed by the town and campus. Seems like a close knit community. I'm from Newark, DE and Bowling Green is very similar in many
ways. Would love to see a win against the Fighting Irish. But if it's not in the cards, I'll still be rooting for the Falcons. Thanks again!
bgparent1708
Egg
Egg

Postby Falconfreak90 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:17 pm

Welcome bgparent1708!! Your daughter will LOVE BGSU...truly a very special place. #AyZiggy
Michael W.
BGSU-12 TIME MAC CHAMPION
FALCON FOOTBALL ROCKS!
Falconfreak90
Rubber City Falcon
Rubber City Falcon

Postby RangerRocket » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:14 pm

bgparent1708 wrote: If there is anything I need to know in being a new fan....

Be prepared for a perpetual feeling of disappointment, gloom, and sadness.
RangerRocket
Chick
Chick

Postby factman » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:07 am

Don’t worry about this typical “scud” (UT rocket)
troll.
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Football