Two months

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Two months

Postby jpfalcon09 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:49 am

Until BG kicks off at The Doyt against Morgan State. What's everyone's expectations for the year? What will qualify as a good season?
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Two months

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:15 am

I don't really have any expectations for the year because:
1. I don't know who our QB will be.
2. I don't know what kind of progress has been made on the defensive side of the ball.

I expect the offensive line to be one of our better units (due to their experience) and I expect our RB room, especially Clair, to be pretty successful on the ground this year.

That being said, a successful season to me isn't really based on wins and losses but on showing progress. It sucks, but that's just kind of reality for us right now. If it feels like we're a much better team in November than we are in August, or even compared to last November, I will feel good about the direction of the program.

I think we will win anywhere from 2-5 games this year, depending on how much progress our defense has made. We might be in a few close ball games, so we need to be able to get clutch stops and scores when necessary.

Looking forward to the season!
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:56 am

I also have no idea what to expect on either side of the ball; other than to think the rush game should be pretty darn good. But if you have no threat to pass, against even half-decent teams, you'll struggle because they will go "all in" on stopping the run.

My concern is that the defense is going to be almost historically bad -- and for BG, that will have to be really, really bad. Hard to beat the defenses we saw the past several years, but I fear it can be done.

If Loeffler truly is a QB Whisperer and somehow gets good production from that position, then BG has a shot at winning a handful of games. My wild guess right now is 3 wins...and another brutal loss to Toledo in the "100th season anniversary" game. If the offense has a decent passing threat to combine with the run game...and the defense has a pulse, possibly a win or two more.

Please let me be very wrong. I'd love to see this group duplicate what happened with our basketball team this past season and shock everyone.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:30 am

I think that 1-3 out of conference and 3-5 in conference would be an okay season for the new staff's first year. I think back to Clawson's first two years when he went 7-6 and 2-10. That first season was only because he inherited some talent before the cupboards were empty. I think 4 wins in each of the first two seasons for Loeffler are probably expected. It'd be great to see him exceed that, but my expectations are tempered. I'm mainly looking for a more fundamentally sound defense, increased depth, and a solid offensive line.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Expectations? This is clearly a "year 0" situation. I don't fully know what to expect, but I know we will not be able to evaluate the new coaching staff over this year.

The offense has the talent to be good, and that is without assuming McDonald gets his waiver. There are some good running backs, with Clair a potential first team all conference talent. Morris came on strong last year at WR and Marlow had some flashes. The offensive line needs to be more consistent and if they are the offense could be outstanding.

The x factor on offense. Loy has a lot of potential. He is athletic, he has a huge arm, and he has developed nicely so far. Veasley is a total unknown but that arm is tremendous. Either one could grow into the role and be an effective QB. But if McDonald gets his waiver, we have a Loeffler QB who is ready from day one. I believe he will get his waiver. It is anyone's guess when because there is an enormous queue of transfer situations for the NCAA to sort out.
I expect the offense to be more efficient than any time recently. I will be extremely disappointed if the offense is poor.

Defense. I really don't know what to expect but it is mostly not good.
The good: Konowalski is back. He plays hard and is probably the most talented player on defense.
Also good: Brandon Perce is back. We heard a lot good about him going into last season.
The bad: this is going to be a thin defense. New starters in the secondary without much depth. Lost some defensive linemen, again without much depth there. There will be reliance upon freshmen and new starters. When there are this many question marks, it is hard to expect much good. I will be pleasantly surprised if the defense takes major strides.

Coaching. As I said, year 0. However. I just feel so much better about this coaching staff.
Where the previous offensive coordinators were formerly a grad assistant and a D3 young guy neither with any relevant regional recruiting experience, the new OC is a 30 year coaching veteran who has been a position coach on a Super Bowl winning team and an offensive coordinator at Michigan, among others, and knows recruiting the area as well as anyone from his prior stint at BG and others in the region.
Where the previous head coach was a high school coach who spent three years coaching RBs in a niche passing offense and got the endorsement of his former boss, the new head coach has coached the greatest QB in NFL history and a Heisman winner, and is a 20 year coaching veteran and has the endorsements of two national championship coaches and the greatest QB in NFL history, among others. And I can keep going.

Overall what I hope to see is a more physical and disciplined team. That is what Loeffler has preached, and we have not seen discipline or physicality with consistency in years. Looking at the schedule, I do believe bowl eligibility is possible ... as is disaster if depth sinks the team. I believe beating UT and Ohio are both possibilities if the level of play improves and the defense is better.
Lest we forget, Loeffler is dealing with the previous coach's mess this year. I'll never forget the compliment in the spring game that the team "lines up better". This group of players had the misfortune of three years of poor coaching and lack of attention to details and fundamentals. However they stuck through it and by all accounts are taking in the new instruction properly and with good attitude. So what I'm saying is ... if this year is poor, don't blame the new coaches and absolutely don't blame the players. And the outlook certainly is better than anytime since 2015.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby footballguy51 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:42 pm

Our offense could be a flashback to the days of Anthony Turner at QB. Loy reminds me of Turner. Our offense wasn't very good then, and it won't be very good now if we have Loy at QB. That is, unless Loy actually has an arm that is accurate and talented. So far we've only seen him run the option and throw a few random passes with variable success. Our season will hinge on the QB position. Even a team with a weak defense can be bailed out by the offense for a few games if the QB is talented.

I will consider this season a success if we don't have to beat Morgan State in the final seconds of the 4th quarter. Let's get the back-ups in for the 4th. THAT will be my measure of success.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:48 am

I expect to see continued improvement over the season. 4-8/5-7 type of record this year and hopefully make a bowl game in 2020.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Schadenfreude » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:44 am

footballguy51 wrote:I will consider this season a success if we don't have to beat Morgan State in the final seconds of the 4th quarter. Let's get the back-ups in for the 4th. THAT will be my measure of success.

Well said. I fear 1-11 is a possibility. If we are able to give backups some time against Morgan State, maybe we would have a shot at winning a MAC game or two.

The future is very bright. This coaching staff is going to turn it around. But this season isn't going to be easy.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby roguewarrior » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:51 am

I expect no less than than 3 wins. 5 wins would be a great success. Staying competitive and in the game in the 4th quarter in 8/10 games would make it a super first year. Just because of culture change, superior conditioning, and coaches with skills, i predict 4 W’s and “in the game” 7/10 in the 4th.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby Beaker » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:45 am

I think there's reason for optimism for the years to come, but I expect this year will be brutal. Not going to make a win/loss prediction, but I think bowl eligibility is not even going to be in the discussion at any point. Not that it makes me happy, but I just don't see us being competitive against even moderately competent teams, given what we have available on the defensive side of the ball.

Like some others have said, I will measure the success of this season on if we trend as being a better team, fundamentally, as the season goes on and if coach L and his staff can keep the players "bought in" and keep them competing and working to get better in the face of the losses. If the players show increased toughness/physicality, discipline and effort from what we saw under the last staff, then I will be encouraged for the future.
Beaker
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby ZuluWarrior » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:09 pm

This is a monumental turnaround. Harder than Coach Meyer's and I think Loeffler has great potential, but a Urban Meyer lightning strike like that doesn't happen twice.
3 wins is a very good year, imo.
ZuluWarrior
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:08 am

One month from today.

Beat Morgan State.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine