UConn will need a home

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

UConn will need a home

Postby 2006Grad » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:38 pm

What do we think about adding UConn as a football only school?

Briggs thinks no
https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/coll ... 0190625157

Could add UMass and UConn to the East and move BG back to the west. Benefit would be some east coast travel and recruiting. In exchange for giving them a home, could make them add a certain number of MAC schools to their basketball schedules to make it worth our while (pretty sure we did this with a Temple)
While neither school does anything positive for the football brand they are both state schools in the heart of ESPN country and could help us, in case the AAC poaches Northern or UT.
I would rather add a Marshall or Western Kentucky, if we are expanding. But, beggars can’t be choosers and the league shouldn’t find themselves flat footed.
2006Grad
Egg
Egg

Re: UConn will need a home

Postby MarkL » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:57 pm

Hard no to UConn as a football only member.

In the plausible scenario we lose either Buffalo or NIU to the AAC, potential universities joining the MAC in all sports I would rather see than UConn as a football only member:
- JMU
- South Dakota, South Dakota State, North Dakota, or North Dakota State
- Marshall
- Western Kentucky
- Marshall AND Western Kentucky
- Northern Iowa
- Idaho, travel and all
- probably missing some other viable candidates
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:18 am

Not interested, and apparently the MAC has already said as much. I could see Buffalo or Toledo trying to make the jump to the AAC to replace UConn (NIU, too, but I think they're the least likely), and if that were the case, I'm all about the schools MarkL already mentioned. Western Kentucky would be an awesome fit, although I'm not sure they'd make a relatively lateral move. JMU and NDSU would be my top choices.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:57 am

I would support adding both UMass and UConn football only.

I prefer that Bowling Green play in the East, but I think adding UConn and UMass would be good for the MAC. These are good schools that I want to rub elbows with. Plus they offer access to new television markets, so they can't hurt us with ESPN.

Let's bring UConn to the Doyt (or maybe even the Stroh) once in a while. I'm for that.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby Falconwriter » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:28 am

No. Been there, done that (UMass) and it didn't work well...won't this time.

And while on paper, it would seem to open new TV markets, I'm not so sure. They said the same thing about Rutgers to the B1G and I guess technically it added revenue, but most assuredly nothing else. The NYC market (which would include UConn) does not care about college football beyond maybe Notre Dame. It's a baseball/NBA market.

A hard no to moving BG to the West. If Toledo wants to bolt, let them -- and may they fail as miserably as Northern Illinois did last time it left.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby MarkL » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:04 pm

I think everyone is underestimating NIU's AAC prospects (and severely overestimating UT or anyone else other than UB). Chicago is a top three media market. AAC already has Philly, Dallas, and Houston. All top ten media markets. Add Chicago and you've got better media market exposure than about anyone. I don't believe any other conference has four top ten markets covered.

NIU has better recent football history than anyone in the MAC. And AAC already has Ohio covered with Cincinnati. Why add another Ohio member? Especially since they wouldn't bring any major media market. I don't hear anyone clamoring for the Toledo or Akron media markets. Cleveland media market, maybe if Akron can make a push. (FWIW. Akron media market is so small it is tied in with Cleveland.)

Local media will push the story no doubt that UT is a prime candidate for the AAC. I don't see it. If the MAC is losing anyone anytime soon, it is UB or NIU. And frankly I think NIU is more attractive than UB.

And remember. Just a few years ago the Big 12 sent reps to only one MAC school. NIU. Obviously NIU didn't make the cut but that is a voice of confidence. That said if I'm a betting man I say the MAC is the same for the time to come.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:18 pm

MarkL wrote:I think everyone is underestimating NIU's AAC prospects

Nah.

I think the American stands pat at 11.
Schadenfreude

Postby Tony4BG » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:38 pm

Read AAC is leaning towards staying with 11 teams but issue would be how to handle their championship game moving forward.

Also, read a great article about how streaming games online is in a sense taking away worrying about the TV markets.

My guesses are AAC sticks to 11 teams and UConn goes independent for football.
Tony4BG
Chick
Chick

Postby daspollak » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:55 pm

App State is another potential candidate for the AAC. UAB could be one as well. Both schools has excellent fan support for football.
Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach PE.
daspollak
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby 2006Grad » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:47 pm

One argument I would make for UConn, as part of the agreement, both their men’s and woman’s basketball teams have to play a MAC school at home and away every year. This would give great exposure to the league in basketball, imagine the UConn men’s or woman’s teams coming to the Stroh.
The problems with many of the above mentioned schools being added is that it would add undue cost to the Athletic departments. Sending the softball to Bismarck or the soccer team to Harrisonburg, VA costs money, that I am not sure adding those universities gets the league in new revenue.
2006Grad
Egg
Egg

Postby Schadenfreude » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:16 am

Schadenfreude wrote:
MarkL wrote:I think everyone is underestimating NIU's AAC prospects

Nah.

I think the American stands pat at 11.

Two more thoughts about Northern Illinois. It is near Chicago in about the same way that Ashtabula is near Cleveland, except that it isn't as easy to get to. Area traffic is usually pretty rough, and the regional train doesn't even go out that far.

Also, looking on a map: Only one American opponent would be vaguely nearby, and that's Cincinnati. After that, Northern Illinois would be looking to Tulsa or Memphis or East Carolina for a regional rival.

Given the geography, if the American decides to add a member, it seems to me it would be more likely to look closer to its existing footprint, which is in the south and east.
Schadenfreude

Postby Lord_Byron » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:33 pm

From what I understand, Uconn football has a mess on its hands in 2020. They will have 8 open dates they need to fill and there are no FBS teams with any open dates in 2020. Seems like they'll need to have someone take them. . .
BG '79

Twitter: @Vapid_Inanities
Lord_Byron
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

Postby FalconTurf » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:01 pm

When NIU had some really good teams and I engaged some of their fans in conversation about leaving the MAC, they were negative about that idea. They all remember the disaster the last time they left. This is one school that will be very cautious and I don’t believe there is enough reward compared to the risks at this point.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby 2006Grad » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:24 pm

Interesting arguments for and against the addition of UConn presented by Hustle Belt
For:
https://www.hustlebelt.com/2019/6/25/18 ... dependence
Against:
https://www.hustlebelt.com/2019/6/23/18 ... mber-uconn
They also speculate that Buffalo is the most likely poach by the AAC
2006Grad
Egg
Egg

Postby Tony4BG » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:42 am

Lord_Byron wrote:From what I understand, Uconn football has a mess on its hands in 2020. They will have 8 open dates they need to fill and there are no FBS teams with any open dates in 2020. Seems like they'll need to have someone take them. . .

I'm sure there are FBS schools with open dates. I know the Hurricanes have an open date and would rather see them schedule UConn than a FCS school. Bet they're others too.
Tony4BG
Chick
Chick

Next

Return to Football