Boston College QB Matthew McDonald

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Boston College QB Matthew McDonald

Postby BGSU33 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:41 pm

While we wait to see who we add at QB as a transfer, out of curiosity I took a look at the transfer portal to see if there were any Boston College QB's in it and there are two. John Langan looks like he's headed to Rutgers, but Matthew McDonald doesn't appear to have a landing spot yet. Funny enough he's actually rated one spot ahead of Jarret Doege. McDonald is an underclassman, he redshirted in 2017 and only played in two games in 2018. I also saw a quote from him that said, "I have really developed a great relationship with Coach (Scot) Loeffler" when talking about signing with BC. It all got me thinking that he might be a guy to keep an eye on until he either lands somewhere, or we land someone.

Loeffler said if he's going to take a transfer (like he eluded he's going to likely have to do now) he really wants one who has more than a year or eligibility remaining, which McDonald would have. However, McDonald would have to petition for immediate eligibility for this to even work out. In other words, with the way the NCAA is ruling these cases, it essentially would boil down to if McDonald has a good lawyer or not. If he does, he'd likely get the nod. If he doesn't, then he'd have to prove a "hardship," which is where things with a number of guys declaring is getting almost comical. But if McDonald informs the NCAA someone at BC called him a dummy, if he had bed bugs in his dorm, if he finds the Boston College schools colors and/or mascot offensive, or explains how the Massachusetts climate it too harsh for his California skin (and I'm only half kidding about these ridiculous examples), the NCAA would likely grant him immediate eligibility. If he takes the honest route and said he wanted to transfer to play for Scot Loeffler (I assume he had a huge part in recruiting him to BC), or that BC isn't a good fit for him for reasons X, Y and Z, then he'd have to sit out a year for sure. In all seriosness, this could be a name to keep an eye on.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Boston College QB Matthew McDonald

Postby Flipper » Thu May 23, 2019 1:50 am

I want QB Colson Yankoff from Washington..then we can say "We lost the game, but we won the Yankoff"
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby roguewarrior » Thu May 23, 2019 9:18 am

Flipper wrote:I want QB Colson Yankoff from Washington..then we can say "We lost the game, but we won the Yankoff"

It will be cool to see his uncle “Weird Al” at the games too.... ha!
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby MarkL » Thu May 23, 2019 8:55 pm

He went to Mission Viejo high school in California. If you are unfamiliar, that is one of the nation's premiere HS programs. There are so many college and NFL stars out of there. Mark Sanchez and perhaps another former USC QB along with some other USC players during their run. It speaks very highly to his background.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Tue May 28, 2019 8:32 am

His dad, Paul was QB for Cleveland Browns from '80-85. Both his dad and brother played at USC.
Tony4BG
Chick
Chick

Postby roguewarrior » Tue May 28, 2019 12:18 pm

BC QB is in!
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby Tony4BG » Tue May 28, 2019 12:24 pm

roguewarrior wrote:BC QB is in!

Now we wait on his waiver
Tony4BG
Chick
Chick

Postby Falcon Commander » Tue May 28, 2019 10:46 pm

from Jordan Strack:

Bowling Green has their transfer Quarterback. Matt McDonald is officially on campus. Today was his first day at BGSU. He just finished up his redshirt freshman year at Boston College. He knows Scot Loeffler very well, obviously.
@JordanStrack
As of right now, they're not sure if he will be eligible right away. If he is, he would have 3 years. If he has to sit a year, he will obviously have 2 years to play. More news will come soon on that.
Show our Spirit,
Make them Fear it,
Fight for Dear Bee Gee.

REBUILD-ING --> BG HOCKEY!!
Falcon Commander
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:25 pm

Obviously, McDonald coming to BG makes sense to me since I mentioned the possibility of it happening last week, so I'm not surprised at all. Now, the waiting game starts on whether he'll be able to play this year or not. You'd have to think the coaches feel he has a decent shot at gaining immediate eligibility based on the situation we're facing and him coming in. He'd certainly have a good case based on: one, he redshirted in 2017; two, he only played in 2 games in 2018 (which is half the allotted number they allow guys to use when they use a redshirt season nowadays); and three, I'm guessing Loeffler recruited him to BC in the first place. So, with the new redshirt rule in place, it's like he's essentially redshirted two seasons while at BC - it goes down officially as one, but you catch my drift on what I'm saying. That said, we're not Ohio State, and we don't have Justin Fields coming in with his attorney right behind him. So, I'll be very surprised if he's granted eligibility to play this year, and not surprised at all if he isn't, because, well, it's the NCAA we're talking about here. Anyone's guess is as good as mine.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed May 29, 2019 8:44 am

What's the case for McDonald being able to play right away? The fact that McDonald transferred here implies there is one. But I don't see it.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby Tony4BG » Wed May 29, 2019 8:47 am

Schadenfreude wrote:What's the case for McDonald being able to play right away? The fact that McDonald transferred here implies there is one. But I don't see it.

My guess that Loeffler left and BC is fine with him leaving. If he gets waiver, might as well make it free agency for college transfers.
Tony4BG
Chick
Chick

Postby pdt1081 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:52 am

Schadenfreude wrote:What's the case for McDonald being able to play right away? The fact that McDonald transferred here implies there is one. But I don't see it.

If a player transfers, he has to sit out a season. He basically sat out the last two seasons. Why can't they count as his season out?
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Wed May 29, 2019 8:57 am

As has been mentioned...the threshold to burn a year used to be one game...now it's four. He's technically sat for two seasons. Let him play..

My favorite thing about this kid? He wants to be here!
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 am

It seems like they are granting waivers for football more often than they are making kids sit. I would expect McDonald to be able to play right away. As a P5 transfer at QB this could end up being a big deal and allow Keller to mature if he turns out to be the real deal. I would like to know more about McDonald's recruitment out of HS, if you look at his 247 profile BC is his only official offer but the list of schools that had interest in him is very impressive. Anyone know why he only had one offer?

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Matth ... Interests/
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:20 am

JohnFloyd4Life wrote:It seems like they are granting waivers for football more often than they are making kids sit. I would expect McDonald to be able to play right away. As a P5 transfer at QB this could end up being a big deal and allow Keller to mature if he turns out to be the real deal. I would like to know more about McDonald's recruitment out of HS, if you look at his 247 profile BC is his only official offer but the list of schools that had interest in him is very impressive. Anyone know why he only had one offer?

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Matth ... Interests/

From what I found, he had another offer from Cornell and maybe another Ivy League school, but basically he didn't show out as a quarterback until his senior season due to an injury shortened junior year, so while he was getting high-major interest, none of them were willing to take a flier on a late developing QB when most schools had filled their needs by the time he hit his stride.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Football