QB Situation

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

QB Situation

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Mon May 20, 2019 9:18 am

Landing Riley Keller makes one assume that he will be in a good position to step in right away in 2020.

As for 2019, we are all aware of the situation is ripe for a grad transfer, but what if that grad transfer doesn't appear? It seems the job is Loy's to lose. But what about Bryce Veasley? It will be his third year out of HS, he was relatively highly touted, getting recruited by multiple MAC schools, more than any other QB on the roster. He seems well suited for a pro-style offense, big guy, big arm. Other than no experience, what's the knock on this guy? You watch his high school highlights and the kid can make every throw. I haven't seen him play in a spring game or any live action but if no grad transfer comes could he be the guy under center next season?

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4468334/59 ... 14e49a1959
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Re: QB Situation

Postby Tony4BG » Mon May 20, 2019 9:50 am

IF, no highly touted grad transfer arrives, Loy starts new two years. Keller redshirts in 2020 unless needed.

No idea what happened with Veasley but seems similar situation as Cunningham except he has stuck around.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby mbenecke » Mon May 20, 2019 10:01 am

As far as Loy goes, I like his legs/running ability, but I haven't seen enough of his arm. I always thought Loy should have come in on 3rd or 4th and short or in the redzone last year. It felt like he could fight and get those extra yards with his legs in a way that Doege just couldn't.

Veasley was a prospect who intrigued me, and I'm surprised he hasn't been talked about much.

I think Loy starts this year and then he becomes more of a redzone package guy (due to his mobility) next year as he's phased out and the QB of the future (either Veasley or eventually Keller) is phased in and gains experience.

It probably won't be until 2021 that we really start winning ball games at a good clip again. For now, it's all about building the foundation for the future.
Bleacher Creature. AYA Social Studies Education. BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Mon May 20, 2019 10:35 am

mbenecke wrote:
Veasley was a prospect who intrigued me, and I'm surprised he hasn't been talked about much.

That's what I'm saying. If Loy can pass with any accuracy I think his size and arm strength can also make him a good fit, but Loy is a former walk-on from Buckeye Central. Veasley had offers out of HS from Buffalo and Toledo, and a 3* rating. Obviously, that's not everything but I'm wondering what the knock on him is.
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Postby Tony4BG » Mon May 20, 2019 10:48 am

JohnFloyd4Life wrote: Veasley had offers out of HS from Buffalo and Toledo, and a 3* rating.

Elijah Cunningham was 3* too with offers from Miami, OH and Toledo.

Can't ever say how they do in college.

Heck, Doege was 3* with only BG offer.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby roguewarrior » Mon May 20, 2019 12:55 pm

Tony4BG wrote:
JohnFloyd4Life wrote: Veasley had offers out of HS from Buffalo and Toledo, and a 3* rating.

Good thing we play the games and not give Wins and losses on star ratings! The star ratings come from some clowns in their basement that have never even seen 75% of the people they are ranking. Or, the player off season trains with a group that hosts a camp, where they get ranked by the people they pay. Please.... ignore the star ratings.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Mon May 20, 2019 1:07 pm

roguewarrior wrote:
Tony4BG wrote:

Good thing we play the games and not give Wins and losses on star ratings! The star ratings come from some clowns in their basement that have never even seen 75% of the people they are ranking. Or, the player off season trains with a group that hosts a camp, where they get ranked by the people they pay. Please.... ignore the star ratings.

I know...

I'm saying I'm wondering what the knock is on Veasley. I know Cunningham is gone, he's at SVSU, I know rankings don't necessarily mean anything, I even said in my post. It seems like Veasley would be a good fit for this offense so I'm wondering what the deal with him is...
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Postby Tony4BG » Mon May 20, 2019 1:08 pm

Exactly. Especially since one was catfished last year with a fake recruit.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Tony4BG » Mon May 20, 2019 1:19 pm

JohnFloyd4Life wrote:wondering what the deal with him is...

Haven't heard much at all about him.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby MarkL » Mon May 20, 2019 1:33 pm

I've never seen Veasley throw so I can't speak there.

Loy, he has progressed a ton from HS. If you have seen HS tapes, you know what I mean. His footwork was awkward. So I guess I'm saying he is apparently a very coachable player.

If I had to take a guess .... I would say Loy is the starter but Veasely gets in. As far as I can tell Loy isn't exactly the starter by a huge margin.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Mon May 20, 2019 1:43 pm

And follow up .... QBs normally RS as freshmen. Veasley is only a RS Freshman so if he comes out on top, he has an opportunity to be a four year starter. If Keller takes a RS year, his first year playing Veasley would be a RS junior. Point is if Veasley wins and takes it by storm, he may be the starter through 2022 to be succeeded by a very experienced Keller in 2023. It is college football where anything can happen.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Mon May 20, 2019 1:55 pm

JohnFloyd4Life wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:
Tony4BG wrote:

I know...

I'm saying I'm wondering what the knock is on Veasley. I know Cunningham is gone, he's at SVSU, I know rankings don't necessarily mean anything, I even said in my post. It seems like Veasley would be a good fit for this offense so I'm wondering what the deal with him is...

Mastery of the playbook is the problem
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby MarkL » Mon May 20, 2019 2:18 pm

Young man is a RS Freshman. He ran one offense as a HS senior, then learned another under the previous staff in his redshirt year, and now is learning a new one. Three playbooks in three years.

I'd say that is quite a bit to ask of anyone, let alone a kid one year out of high school. So I don't think that is a fair criticism.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Wed May 22, 2019 3:31 pm

Just noticed the walk on QB is no longer listed on roster. Anyone know if he left?
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby BGSU33 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:54 pm

I just don't think Loy is a good fit in this offense. He would be a very good fit in an offense that runs the pistol, like Ohio does. I love that offense as it generates a ton of rushing yards (by the QB & RB's) while still racking up passing yards to WR's and also utilizes TE's. It would utilize his skill set as a runner (which he is better at than a passer) while also making teams defend the passing game honestly because he could also stretch plays and keep them alive with his legs and ability to run. Take a look at what Ohio has done with the pistol the last few years and watch what they do with it again this season. Mark my words, Nathan Rourke will be the MAC Player of the Year.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Football