Transfer Watch

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby Flipper » Wed May 15, 2019 8:49 pm

They are equals...the notion that some guy who did a sales job on yiu to get you to sign with his program should be able to move along when he feels like it while you have to stay....or maybe you were promised one thing...like Tate Martell...but then you were told to look elsewhere by the guys who recruited you you should have equal freedom because you have an equal stake...if not a greater stake in what goes on. Players have ONE SHOT. They have a five year window to play the sport they love while getting an education or getting ready to play at the next level. Coches have many shots. Mike Jinks was the worst football coach in BGSU history...but...he has another job.

Antimob...overly sentimental? You sound like an outtake from North Dallas Forty..."When I say it's a business...you say it's a game...when I say it's a game, you say it's a business" You want coaches to have all the power over these kids. Well...they don't. Suck it up and deal with it

And before you or anyone else throws the "Pandora's box" into the lap of the players...think about this. Do you really think Doege just suddenly decided to up and transfer out...or was he contacted by someone with connections to another school? Someone who thought "man..we sure could use another experienced QB" I think it's pretty likely that your pure as the wind driven snow coaches are out there beating the bushes for players when they shouldn't be. Most of them are cheaters any way in one form or another. Why should we assume they're playing this process honestly?
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
User avatar
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot
 
Posts: 16028
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:01 am
Location: Ida Twp, MI

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby Falconwriter » Thu May 16, 2019 10:09 am

Tate Martell was all about OSU and competition one week -- and gone the next. Not sure I'd believe anything he said. When it was first announced that Fields was transferring, Tate made a point of saying he welcomed competition...and then not much later, announced he was leaving for a school where he believes he can step right in and start. Honestly, I'm not sure that's the case with his skill set, even at a school as bad as Miami has become. Don't get me wrong, he's very quick and fast, but his passing is really, really bad right now.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
User avatar
Falconwriter
Fledgling
Fledgling
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:37 am
Location: Columbus

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby mbenecke » Thu May 16, 2019 2:06 pm

Doege to WVU is official.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
User avatar
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1541
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: Bowling Green

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:18 pm

mbenecke wrote:Doege to WVU is official.


Not surprised based on the twitter stuff we already knew, but surprised he went somewhere there was already a pretty tough QB competition, including with a grad transfer from Oklahoma who was a 4-star and eligible immediately for two seasons. Best of luck to Doege, but he's going to have to fight to get playing time down there, I think.
User avatar
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby Antimob » Thu May 16, 2019 4:37 pm

MarkL wrote:But when you step back and see how many are happening, it kind of looks like the MAC is being treated as a minor league for other conferences. I don't see the overall effect healthy, even if the individual transfer situations are good. I don't see the whole being greater than the sum of the parts, so to speak.


=D>

Holes in the portal: For players, the Transfer Portal isn’t all it’s cracked up to be:

http://footballscoop.com/news/players-t ... t-cracked/
Antimob
Chick
Chick
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:08 am

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby Flipper » Fri May 17, 2019 10:23 am

Self serving ruling class nonsense...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
User avatar
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot
 
Posts: 16028
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:01 am
Location: Ida Twp, MI

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:47 pm

At the risk of re-starting a debate about whether or not transfers are good or bad, I have a question that is hopefully straightforward:

Any news on where those who have left are going to or already have ended up? I know Junior is with Oklahoma State, Doege is with WVU, and Fitz-Henley is going JUCO, but I haven't heard anything on a lot of the others (Croslen, Hargrove, Antwuan Johnson, etc.).
User avatar
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby Tony4BG » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:09 pm

All unsigned from what I can find.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby BGSU33 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:54 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:At the risk of re-starting a debate about whether or not transfers are good or bad, I have a question that is hopefully straightforward:

Any news on where those who have left are going to or already have ended up? I know Junior is with Oklahoma State, Doege is with WVU, and Fitz-Henley is going JUCO, but I haven't heard anything on a lot of the others (Croslen, Hargrove, Antwuan Johnson, etc.).


I heard a broadcast the other day that said the total number of players that either entered or were expected to enter the transfer portal this year was approaching 1,500 (I assume that was all divisions) and the number keeps climbing daily, and that less than 25% of that pool of players were officially headed to a new school. Yes, more guys will continue to land at places and yes, we are hearing about some of the bigger-name players and schools that have mutually agreed with each other. But there's going to be a lot of guys out there who envisioned moving up (especially those Group of Five guys with dreams of playing in the Power Five) who may end up shooting themselves in foot by entering. Remember, players who enter their names can potentially lose their scholarships (most will), and a program is under no obligation whatsoever to keep any players on the roster that explores the transfer options. Most schools instantly remove a guy from the team and roster once they enter the portal. In short, you could have a lot of guys tricking down to lower divisions or even into the JUCO's trying to find a home. While this transfer portal is new for a lot of people (players and coaches alike), this new "in" thing to do is going to have an eye-opening ending for a lot of players out there. You know what they say about the grass being greener. For some, it will be, but for others, it surely won't.
GO BG!!!
User avatar
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 9288
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:29 am
Location: Charlottesville, VA

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby roguewarrior » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:07 pm

BGSU33 wrote:
drumstix2388 wrote:At the risk of re-starting a debate about whether or not transfers are good or bad, I have a question that is hopefully straightforward:

Any news on where those who have left are going to or already have ended up? I know Junior is with Oklahoma State, Doege is with WVU, and Fitz-Henley is going JUCO, but I haven't heard anything on a lot of the others (Croslen, Hargrove, Antwuan Johnson, etc.).


I heard a broadcast the other day that said the total number of players that either entered or were expected to enter the transfer portal this year was approaching 1,500 (I assume that was all divisions) and the number keeps climbing daily, and that less than 25% of that pool of players were officially headed to a new school. Yes, more guys will continue to land at places and yes, we are hearing about some of the bigger-name players and schools that have mutually agreed with each other. But there's going to be a lot of guys out there who envisioned moving up (especially those Group of Five guys with dreams of playing in the Power Five) who may end up shooting themselves in foot by entering. Remember, players who enter their names can potentially lose their scholarships (most will), and a program is under no obligation whatsoever to keep any players on the roster that explores the transfer options. Most schools instantly remove a guy from the team and roster once they enter the portal. In short, you could have a lot of guys tricking down to lower divisions or even into the JUCO's trying to find a home. While this transfer portal is new for a lot of people (players and coaches alike), this new "in" thing to do is going to have an eye-opening ending for a lot of players out there. You know what they say about the grass being greener. For some, it will be, but for others, it surely won't.


You can see where a number of these kids follow the same pattern, where they committed to a school, then-decomitted for another's. Some multiple times before signing-now transferring. Many of these transfers are because the team told them you won’t play here; or, bad grades, failed drug tests, attitude, etc. Coaches talk..... those left behind are left behind for a reason. Those that think they can play at a higher level...it’s a big gamble. Transferring (to me) is a move only to be made in desperation. Lose a year? Dumb.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
User avatar
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:54 pm

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby drumstix2388 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:44 pm

Hargrove is going to Garden City CC for his second year. Pretty solid JUCO program. Best of luck to him.
User avatar
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby Schadenfreude » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:32 am

drumstix2388 wrote:Hargrove is going to Garden City CC for his second year. Pretty solid JUCO program. Best of luck to him.


+1.
User avatar
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller
 
Posts: 5998
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby drumstix2388 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:54 pm

BGSU33 wrote:I just heard that DE Anthony Johnson, one of our top recruits from this year's Scot Loeffler class, is gone. And guys, there's more departures coming. The hits keep coming and coming and coming....


From what I've seen, it looks like Anthony Johnson is still coming. His twitter bio says DE @ BGSU (which it didn't before) and he's been retweeting some of the recent BG commitment announcements.
User avatar
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby mbenecke » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:06 pm

Yes, it does appear that Johnson is still coming here.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
User avatar
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1541
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: Bowling Green

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby MarkL » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:26 pm

Brandon Peters is going to Illinois. They were the program to beat from the beginning.

If McDonald gets a waiver, it will be him, Veasley, and Loy. Then the two 2020 QBs will probably redshirt and be ready in 2021. Would have been nice to also have Peters but this is still the best looking QB depth outlook in a long while.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
User avatar
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 4705
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:23 pm
Location: Greater Washington DC area

PreviousNext

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 1 guest