Transfer Watch

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Transfer Watch

Postby drumstix2388 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:34 pm

As there always is with any kind of coaching change, there are sure to be some transfers this off-season. Figured it'd be helpful to keep track of them in one spot.

First one I've seen so far: Ricardo Marble Jr. - Redshirt QB announced on Twitter he is transferring due to the coaching changes.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby Globetrotter » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:57 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:As there always is with any kind of coaching change, there are sure to be some transfers this off-season. Figured it'd be helpful to keep track of them in one spot.

First one I've seen so far: Ricardo Marble Jr. - Redshirt QB announced on Twitter he is transferring due to the coaching changes.

Maybe he will roll back around when he comes to his senses.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby jpfalcon09 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:46 pm

https://youtu.be/cLp_vMRm-To

Didn't know he was even on the roster.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:12 pm

Walk on RS Freshman QB. Not even sure he was ever put on scholarship.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Falcon Commander » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:50 pm

Jordan Strack

Verified account

@JordanStrack
3h3 hours ago
More
There was speculation about what would happen with BGSU quarterback Jarret Doege, but he isn’t going anywhere. He is staying with the Falcons, I’m told. That’s huge for BG. :supz: :supz:
Show our Spirit,
Make them Fear it,
Fight for Dear Bee Gee.

REBUILD-ING --> BG HOCKEY!!
Falcon Commander
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:47 am

If this has already been mentioned, I missed it: But Josh Croslen and Kyle Junior have announced their transfers and are officially in "the portal."
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:02 am

Great to see Junior landing at Power 5 school.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:32 am

Tony4BG wrote:Great to see Junior landing at Power 5 school.

OK State huh? Good for him. I hate being a farm club for P5 schools though.
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Postby gspointer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:27 pm

Junior will play DE for them. He should have played that here. I hate it when we throw 235 pound ends out there.
gspointer
Chick
Chick

Postby Tony4BG » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:22 pm

JohnFloyd4Life wrote: OK State huh? Good for him. I hate being a farm club for P5 schools though.

Of course don't like seeing guys leave but always want them to have success
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby BGSU33 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:58 pm

JohnFloyd4Life wrote:

Good for him. I hate being a farm club for P5 schools though.

I'm getting really irritated by this too. He redshirted at BG back in 2015, so instead of BG getting a seasoned, proven player that developed here that it desperately needs, Oklahoma State now does. If I'm a coach at a Group of 5 school and a guy can play for me as a true frosh, no way am I redshirting him anymore. Not a chance. While it's often good to redshirt a guy to get him acclimated to college (strength, weight, academics, etc.), many G5 schools are essentially signing quality guys for only 3 years by doing it. Most of the grad transfers you see going from Power 5 schools to Group of 5 schools are guys who aren't starting, aren't playing much or are buried on the depth charts. These defections don't hurt those schools whatsoever. However, many of the guys going from Group of 5 schools to Power 5 schools are starters or are getting a lot of playing time and often redshirted (and developed and improved) at the school they are leaving and it becomes a big loss for those Group of 5 schools. While I don't disagree with the argument made by those who say if a guy already graduated he should be allowed to do it - which they are - I did see a potential rule changed that could happen that seems to gaining some steam that would penalize a school one scholarship for the following year if they take a grad transfer in and he doesn't do what he's allegedly there to do from an academic standpoint. Because let's be clear, nearly all these grad transfers are jumping to schools for football first and academics a distant second, which is not what the rule was designed for. It's being used more like a free agency tool than it is an academic opportunity and it's fooling no one.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby daspollak » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:22 pm

BGSU33 wrote:
JohnFloyd4Life wrote:

Good for him. I hate being a farm club for P5 schools though.

I'm getting really irritated by this too. He redshirted at BG back in 2015, so instead of BG getting a seasoned, proven player that developed here that it desperately needs, Oklahoma State now does. If I'm a coach at a Group of 5 school and a guy can play for me as a true frosh, no way am I redshirting him anymore. Not a chance. While it's often good to redshirt a guy to get him acclimated to college (strength, weight, academics, etc.), many G5 schools are essentially signing quality guys for only 3 years by doing it. Most of the grad transfers you see going from Power 5 schools to Group of 5 schools are guys who aren't starting, aren't playing much or are buried on the depth charts. These defections don't hurt those schools whatsoever. However, many of the guys going from Group of 5 schools to Power 5 schools are starters or are getting a lot of playing time and often redshirted (and developed and improved) at the school they are leaving and it becomes a big loss for those Group of 5 schools. While I don't disagree with the argument made by those who say if a guy already graduated he should be allowed to do it - which they are - I did see a potential rule changed that could happen that seems to gaining some steam that would penalize a school one scholarship for the following year if they take a grad transfer in and he doesn't do what he's allegedly there to do from an academic standpoint. Because let's be clear, nearly all these grad transfers are jumping to schools for football first and academics a distant second, which is not what the rule was designed for. It's being used more like a free agency tool than it is an academic opportunity and it's fooling no one.

I never want to punish a player who did what college athletics was setup to do, and that is provide young men and women with an education and degree. If they want to use their last scholarship year to play football, instead of gaining credits for a graduate degree, that is their right they have earned, and a choice the accepting university is giving. What is becoming more scary, is how many undergrad players are able to get waivers to play immediately after transferring. If this trend continues, we really will have a free agency in college football.
Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach PE.
daspollak
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hiway44 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:14 am

Has BGSU lost any players recently due to the transfer rule? I can only think of one player that left. He went to Alabama and now plays on Sunday for the Chiefs. If we're not losing players due to transfers then we should be looking to build our team through the transfer portal. Win now will help with recruiting.
hiway44
Egg
Egg

Postby Globetrotter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:10 am

hiway44 wrote:Has BGSU lost any players recently due to the transfer rule? I can only think of one player that left. He went to Alabama and now plays on Sunday for the Chiefs. If we're not losing players due to transfers then we should be looking to build our team through the transfer portal. Win now will help with recruiting.

He doesn't play per se.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Flipper » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:22 am

I think Loeffler is going to take the Clawson (ie smart) approach to rebuilding. Recruit the right HS athletes and utilize JUCO and transfers only when absolutely needed. Might take a year or two to build...but the job will yield results for years after that.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Next

Return to Football