vs. Xavier

BGSU Women's Basketball!!

Re: vs. Xavier

Postby Roll Along! » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Hockey John wrote:He may of left the department as a whole in better shape, but he severely hampered the hockey program. I am very glad that he is gone. Xavier can have him.

You mean the hockey program that was finishing among the bottom feeders of the CCHA for the 15 years prior to his start at BG? He left it in such a bad place by hiring Chris Bergeron and navigating us into a conference that we can compete in year in and year out.
Roll Along!
Egg
Egg

Postby Roll Along! » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:16 pm

factman wrote:I don’t know her either and didn’t want to demean her in any way.

Suggesting that his daughter is only getting minutes because her dad is pressuring the coach to play her is at the very least demeaning. It’s actually much, much lower than that and for any BG fan to bring her into the conversation is disgusting.
Roll Along!
Egg
Egg

Postby Hockey John » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:56 pm

Roll Along! wrote:
Hockey John wrote:He may of left the department as a whole in better shape, but he severely hampered the hockey program. I am very glad that he is gone. Xavier can have him.

You mean the hockey program that was finishing among the bottom feeders of the CCHA for the 15 years prior to his start at BG? He left it in such a bad place by hiring Chris Bergeron and navigating us into a conference that we can compete in year in and year out.

Christopher hired Bergeron because he had to make a hire. He wanted to drop the program and the rumors plus his lack of paying attention to the ice arena added to the decay of the program. Once the university committed to the program, he had to hire a coach and left soon after. I don't credit him for hiring Berge. I credit the university's commitment for Bergeron's arrival.
Hockey John
Egg
Egg

Postby elmrfudd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:15 am

Another great win for the Falcons, who were in control from almost start to finish, with a slow start after opening tip, and a slower finish when the bench was emptied in the fourth quarter. Regardless, we were shooting very well throughout the game, but what really bothered me the most was the absolute absence of our post game, both offensively and defensively. I understand we have young and inexperienced players at the post position, namely Jane Uecker, Sierra Thompson, Clare Glowniak, Terri Battle and Maddie Cole. Yes, the guards and forwards played very well, but the ineffectiveness of our inside game, in my opinion, should be a huge concern of our coaching staff as far as maintaining a well-balanced team. I stated in an earlier post that one of the reasons we take so many threes is that it is the strongest part of our game, and that if we try to go inside, more bad things happen than good. This is not something new, as our inside game has been extremely weak since Alexis Rogers and Jill Stein have departed. I believe that Sierra Thompson has great potential at that position, as she appears to have lots of talent and understanding of what her role is. However, she does have some size disadvantage in comparison to her teammates, but from what I've seen, she plays her position well for a freshman. Glowniak, Battle, and Cole are going to have to really step up their games to see any improvement in their PT. If a player wants more minutes, she has to make positive plays during the brief time she's in the game, but the negative plays (turnovers & quick fouls) will keep her glued to the pine. That being said, it was still a great win for the Falcons in front of a great crowd. Keep rolling along, Falcons!!! Again, just my honest opinion! :yawinkle:
elmrfudd
Egg
Egg

Postby gmartin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:27 am

I agree. Uecker played 26 min and zero points. Zero points from the Center/Post players. Maybe with her height we play Cecil at that position and insert Caterrion into the starting 5 but then that loses your instant bench prescence.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby elmrfudd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:21 am

I believe that Cecil is arguably the strongest, most athletic player on the team, and she finishes under the basket better than any of the bigs on the roster. But she also is a very capable outside shooter with great floor awareness and ball handling skills for someone of her stature. Yesterday, it seemed like Cecil was bringing the ball across center court more than our point guards, but to me, that's okay because she's talented enough to do so. I think Coach Roos should turn her loose to penetrate if it's there, but to post her down low on a continuous basis, I believe, could squelch other aspects of her game. I truly believe that ALL of our post players need to be coached hard as to how to play their positions well on BOTH sides of the floor, and to dominate their position as well. It pains me to see our inside players getting tied up, stripped, blocked, and pushed around under the basket. The low post position demands more physical strength and mental toughness than other positions, especially in boxing out and defending without fouling on the defensive end, and the ability to develop inside moves offensively and being able to finish consistently. WE CURRENTLY DON'T HAVE ANY OF THIS ON THIS TEAM. It's high time for the staff to develop this aspect of their game BEFORE we get into the MAC schedule. Otherwise, we run the risk of being a one-dimensional team, which is much easier for our opponents to defend. True, we've had much success so far this season, but balance is the key for even greater success! GO FALCONS!!!!
elmrfudd
Egg
Egg

Postby Flipper » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:49 am

Having a post that can bring the ball up is a hell of a weapon against the press...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby elmrfudd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 pm

I agree, gmartin, that perhaps Caterrion could be inserted into the starting lineup. Consider this.....if our low post play is totally ineffective, why try to utilize it? You either develop your weak spots, or eliminate them. Great coaches will utilize the strengths of their players in order to be successful. By pulling Jane from the starting lineup, we have two rebounding forwards in Puk and Cecil, with Cecil being effective inside and out. Puk's forte is primarily behind the arc, offensively. That gives you a very potent and quick three-guard offense with Santoro, Lambert, and Thompson, who all three are triple threats to drive to the hole, pull up for a jumper, or pop the three. We could still have effective bench play with Williams, Eucker, and Sierra Thompson. It makes no sense to have a weak cog in your arsenal, so you either fix it or eliminate it. Also, does anyone know why Rachel Myers' minutes have been next to nothing this season? Did her teammates push her down several rungs on the competition ladder, or is she just not making an impression on the coaches in practice? Just curious.
elmrfudd
Egg
Egg

Postby gmartin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:30 pm

I asked several games ago about Myers. She get maybe 3 min per game.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby fredthefalcon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:17 pm

gmartin wrote:I asked several games ago about Myers. She get maybe 3 min per game.

Last year Myers was cold most of the times. She had one or two games where her shot was falling but she is about where she should be barring an injury. 2016-17 shooting stats 26.8% overall and 21.9% from 3. However, she is likely the best foul shooter on the team.
fredthefalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Women's Hoops