Looking for a coach?

BGSU Women's Basketball!!

Looking for a coach?

Postby Class of 61 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:32 pm

Just in case BG WOULD look for a new coach, they might want to talk with the HC at Ashland U. , who just won the D -2 NCAA championship with a 37-0 record! Somebody is doing something right!
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Looking for a coach?

Postby gmartin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:26 am

Class of 61 wrote:Just in case BG WOULD look for a new coach, they might want to talk with the HC at Ashland U. , who just won the D -2 NCAA championship with a 37-0 record! Somebody is doing something right!

Maybe Dusquene men's program. FIVE coaches have turned them down now, the latest being a Division 3 coach from Georgia. That school can't find a coach.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby threestooges » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:24 pm

Class of 61 wrote:Just in case BG WOULD look for a new coach, they might want to talk with the HC at Ashland U. , who just won the D -2 NCAA championship with a 37-0 record! Somebody is doing something right!

Even if BGSU WAS looking for a coach (and it would appear BG is NOT looking for a coach), you might want to wait & see how Fralick continues to do. It's very possible she's the next Pat Summitt, but Fralick (who played at Davidson while Roos was on the staff there, BTW) has only been a head coach for two seasons. Hmmm, where have we heard that before?

Everyone on this board (except for the trolls who are fans of other schools) LOVED Coach Roos after her second season. BG had just gone 30-5, won a MAC regular-season title and made a deep run in the WNIT for the second-straight year. It was all sunshine and lollipops, wasn't it? Now, 9 out of the 10 people who post on this board want Roos fired, and the 10th wants her imprisoned and THEN fired.

I'm not saying Fralick isn't a great coach -- she very well might be the second coming of Pat Summitt. I'm just saying let's wait and see how she does with her own players.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:31 pm

Stooge
You make some good points. I just think this would be a typical place to look IF we were to want a new coach.
You're right about Roos and the 30-5 record, but things have gone WAY downhill since then. And the rest of the MAC has either caught up with, if not passed the Falcons. Perhaps we were all too spoiled by all the success and dominance for so long, and i'm willing to see if things start to improve next year. If the new kids coming in are as good as advertised, it'll help, but we'll be a very young group next year.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby threestooges » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:30 pm

Class of 61 wrote:Stooge
You make some good points. I just think this would be a typical place to look IF we were to want a new coach.
You're right about Roos and the 30-5 record, but things have gone WAY downhill since then. And the rest of the MAC has either caught up with, if not passed the Falcons. Perhaps we were all too spoiled by all the success and dominance for so long, and i'm willing to see if things start to improve next year. If the new kids coming in are as good as advertised, it'll help, but we'll be a very young group next year.

+1. I agree with all of this. I think Roos is a great person, & her players always seem to do well in the classroom & stay out of trouble. But, ultimately a coach is judged by the W-L record, and if things do not improve next year, I'll be right there with all those people saying a change needs to be made.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Just noticed the MAC failed miserably in the WNIT. Five teams in and five teams out in the first round - poor.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby elmrfudd » Fri May 05, 2017 12:10 am

I agree with threestooges, in that WINS are what causes people to sit up and take notice. But there are so many aspects wrapped up into putting those wins on your overall record. Coach Roos has tasted success while being Curt Miller's associate, and even into the first couple of years of her own tenure, so she HAS been there, done that. However, Curt was a coach who commanded excellence every minute of every game, every season. You need great coaches who can recruit good players and turn them into great players. As far as their abilities to get every ounce of potential from their players, Miller could get blood out of the proverbial turnip, where Roos has a hard time wringing out the dish cloth. The last three seasons, what has happened to this team's resolve, determination, hustle, intestinal fortitude, self-confidence, and the willingness to do whatever necessary to go out game after game and kick your opponents' butts???!!! How many All-MAC players have we had in the last three seasons? NONE!!! THAT IS ALL BECAUSE OF COACHING!!! Roos has recruited some good players the last several years, but none of them have become great players! I cannot stress enough the importance of player development at the D1 college level! Get these kids to be fundamentally sound first, before trying to teach them complex system intricacies! These ladies are getting good scholarships, and their coaches are drawing a hefty paycheck by BGSU. That's a lot of money being thrown into the toilet by the university, along with season ticket holders alike, to sit and watch OUR Falcons continually play at the high school level against teams who have been transformed to the college level, and embarrassing themselves in the process. Bottom line is, from the AD all the way down to the last player on the team, the last three seasons NO ONE has done their job!!! If this coaching staff can't find their way back to winning, there are other coaches out there who can! My opinion..........
elmrfudd
Egg
Egg

Postby Flipper » Fri May 05, 2017 6:18 pm

In all fairness...she won the cooking contest against Huger and Jinks.

Let's build on that momentum and retake the MAC. She's ours...she's going to be ours...so I sure as hell hope she succeeds
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby elmrfudd » Sat May 06, 2017 7:35 pm

Also, in all fairness, perhaps winning the cooking contest will prompt her to apply for a lateral move for a position in the cafeteria. I hope she knows she won't get different results by repeating the same stuff!
elmrfudd
Egg
Egg

Postby It's the Journey... » Mon May 08, 2017 8:10 am

I am so happy to know when Coach Roos moves on there are so many qualified candidates for her job right here on this very board. I mean coaching from the couch and coaching on the sidelines are the same thing, right?????
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Mon May 08, 2017 8:17 am

I love Coach Roos as a representative for the university, and she is as down to earth as it gets for a Division I coach. However... we need this program to get back in gear. It's unacceptable to struggle to get to 10 wins total on the season. We only won 8 this entire past season...

We've seen her potential, but now I think the pressure is on, and she needs to live up to it. I'm rooting for her.

Go Falcons.
Bleacher Creature. AYA Social Studies Education. BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Egg
Egg

Postby elmrfudd » Tue May 09, 2017 9:31 am

I agree that Coach Roos is a very nice, down to earth individual, as I've spoken to her a few times. But when "Journey" makes reference to coaching from the couch or sidelines, many loyal fans who have grown up around the game, either playing it, watching it, or both, can see many things from the stands that perhaps the coaches are not seeing. Fans are not vested into the game situations in the same way that coaches are, as we don't have to make critical decisions in a moment's notice. However, we, as fans, are spectators. We watch, we observe, and we analyze. Coaches are human, and fans are human. But just because fans are not being paid a coaches salary does not mean that the fans' observations are off the mark. I've said all along that what this coaching staff lacks is player development, and that players are not progressively getting better from their freshman season through their senior season. If anyone believes this NOT to be true, they need to review the annual stat sheets, along with explaining why we don't have any All-MAC players putting stats in the record books. Coaches should be teachable as well. When you have three consecutive dismal seasons, with all of your own recruits, I would think a coach would have to be examining what things they are doing right, and what things they are doing wrong, or not even doing at all. Yes, it's true that we who are on this board may not be paid coaches, but we have eyes watching these games, and we are not blind. So, after watching the past three seasons, perhaps this coaching staff needs to start picking the brains of the "couch coaches" and ask them "What do you see?" Just my honest opinion.
elmrfudd
Egg
Egg

Return to Women's Hoops