Bye Week

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Bye Week

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:13 pm

Nothing going on this week, but I was slinging some shade over on the USCHO boards and got to thinking. Without a doubt our rival was Michigan State when I was at BG. Go Green! Go White! Go F Yourselves! (that's not how the cheer went, but that's how we "interpreted" it).

I don't get juiced up for Mankato the way I do for Tech. Don't get me wrong; I respect the heck out of Mankato. It just grinds me hearing that stupid "Let's Go Huskies" chant until the first whistle. And I don't really care about anybody else in the league with respect to a rival. So who is our rival?

Bye week. Nothing going on. Thoughts?
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Bye Week

Postby mbenecke » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:10 pm

Tech is the main rival, hands down.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Hockey John » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:35 pm

In my college days our big rival was the St. Louis Billikens. As the CCHA grew I looked forward to games with Michigan State the most. Now, the games I look forward to the most is Minnesota State. All three of those programs at that time were the teams that we battled with the most for the title. I always had respect for Michigan State and the majority of their fan base. I always enjoyed my trips to Munn Arena. Now, I look forward to Minnesota State. I respect their coach and their program.

Now, the teams that I dislike. Miami and Western Michigan for obvious reasons. My two least favorite programs over my years are Michigan and Michigan Tech. Rude fan base, dirty teams, and obnoxious head coaches. I love beating Tech and Michigan the most. I enjoy and look forward to the most games with Michigan State and Minnesota State.
Hockey John
Chick
Chick

Postby AZIce » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:08 pm

In my college days our big rival was the St. Louis Billikens.

St. Louis was good, but I think OSU was the rival. Hated those guys......

Scanlon and Mandich......c'mon nothing better than a good fight between Byron Shutt and one of those guys!

It was different era in college hockey that's for sure. No cages and fighting was just a major.
AZIce
Egg
Egg

Postby Falcon Commander » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:00 pm

turdledo! :axe:

(Don't care what sport it is!!) :supz:
Show our Spirit,
Make them Fear it,
Fight for Dear Bee Gee.

REBUILD-ING --> BG HOCKEY!!
Falcon Commander
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Hockey John » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:17 pm

AZIce wrote:
In my college days our big rival was the St. Louis Billikens.

St. Louis was good, but I think OSU was the rival. Hated those guys......

Scanlon and Mandich......c'mon nothing better than a good fight between Byron Shutt and one of those guys!

It was different era in college hockey that's for sure. No cages and fighting was just a major.

Those Ohio State teams fit for me in the Michigan and Michigan Tech category. I loved beating them. I still looked forward more to the games with St.Louis.
Hockey John
Chick
Chick

Postby Falconwriter » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:41 pm

OSU was the rival when I was at BG. Saw some pretty darn good fights between the two teams. One was so bad, they had trouble clearing the ice. Nobody wanted to stop and the refs were powerless. Good times...

They really need to figure out this new version of the CCHA and (hopefully) get Western back in it, along with the usual suspects from beyond the Ohio border to the North. Miami won't come back, but I honestly don't care. The WCHA just doesn't have the right vibe for me, but I admit to being an old fart and stuck too much in the past.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jbakerifm » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:46 pm

Can't stand tech. If you follow the uscho board or Reddit college hockey their fans are as just as insufferable online as they are in the rink. I don't like their new coach at all either (Marv was fine).

BEMIDJI runs a close second for hate for me, just because I can't stand their style of play. Even when they have guys like the Fitzgerald brothers they run their clutch and grab trapping bs.

The WCHA as currently constituted did exactly what the nachos wanted. Ditched and concentrated the dead weight on someone else, namely us, mankato, tech, northern. It was bound to fail - we lost at least one and potentially two tournament berths to playing in a conference weighed down with 3-4 bottom ten teams every year. That and playing a bunch of teams no fans get excited about arent a recipe for success
jbakerifm
Chick
Chick

Return to Hockey