vs. Michigan Tech (10/25-10/26)

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Re: vs. Michigan Tech (10/25-10/26)

Postby mbenecke » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:28 pm

And now Tech gets another one past Rose. Kind of a poor defensive effort tonight. We aren't clicking like we have the past 3 games.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:33 pm

End of 2, Tech is up 3-1.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:47 pm

Team is coming back out for the 3rd. Need a quick one if we want a shot.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:09 pm

Tech gets a 4th, and I'm going to call it a night. Our effort didn't match theirs tonight, and they played us off the ice. Too bad - was a great opportunity to head to Mankato riding some momentum. Now we'll go looking for answers.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:46 pm

Disappointing but not surprising.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby Bgsu2016 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:56 pm

One thing I will say is I’m concerned about our shooting ability. Eigner wants more structure in how we play which I like, but so many of the shots were quite poor. If you don’t wanna play the run and gun Bergeron hockey you have to be able to snipe the puck
Bgsu2016
Egg
Egg

Postby unfalconbelievable » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:31 pm

Goaltending is not where it was last year. If we are going to play the same style of hockey, first to 3 wins 95% of the time, we may have to sit through some growing pains. Alternative to not having an A goalie is you better get some top notch scorers to help close that gap of goals. We haven't had multiple top notch scorers at the some time in a while so we may have to sit through some growing pains with the two we have. Hopefully, it's not a long learning curve.....
unfalconbelievable
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby AZIce » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:19 pm

unfalconbelievable wrote:Goaltending is not where it was last year. If we are going to play the same style of hockey, first to 3 wins 95% of the time, we may have to sit through some growing pains. Alternative to not having an A goalie is you better get some top notch scorers to help close that gap of goals. We haven't had multiple top notch scorers at the some time in a while so we may have to sit through some growing pains with the two we have. Hopefully, it's not a long learning curve.....

Saturday was the first game I have been able to sit down and watch start to finish live. Hate to say it, but I was not very impressed.

A team as veteran as BG just should be past these lack of effort games. Tech was 0-3 in the league, you pretty much knew they would come out hard, but BG looked unprepared to play and lost for the entire first period.....really disappointing.

Couple of the goals by Rose were soft, yes, but MTU just outworked BG the entire game and had BG been working harder a couple of those rebounds might have been cleared instead of put in the back of BG's net.

His debut was better than Bednard's at WMU a few years back and he turned out OK. I think the goaltending will be fine, the sporadic efforts that seems to becoming the hallmark of BG hockey to me is more concerning.
AZIce
Egg
Egg

Postby jpfalcon09 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:09 am

AZIce wrote:
unfalconbelievable wrote:Goaltending is not where it was last year. If we are going to play the same style of hockey, first to 3 wins 95% of the time, we may have to sit through some growing pains. Alternative to not having an A goalie is you better get some top notch scorers to help close that gap of goals. We haven't had multiple top notch scorers at the some time in a while so we may have to sit through some growing pains with the two we have. Hopefully, it's not a long learning curve.....

Saturday was the first game I have been able to sit down and watch start to finish live. Hate to say it, but I was not very impressed.

A team as veteran as BG just should be past these lack of effort games. Tech was 0-3 in the league, you pretty much knew they would come out hard, but BG looked unprepared to play and lost for the entire first period.....really disappointing.

Couple of the goals by Rose were soft, yes, but MTU just outworked BG the entire game and had BG been working harder a couple of those rebounds might have been cleared instead of put in the back of BG's net.

His debut was better than Bednard's at WMU a few years back and he turned out OK. I think the goaltending will be fine, the sporadic efforts that seems to becoming the hallmark of BG hockey to me is more concerning.

Always been a problem. Losses last year to Anchorage, Robert Morris, and Huntsville were prime examples. This year it's already been RIT and MTU.

We need to be honest too that this year's club is nowhere close to the same talent wise as last year. The seven goal output in the first game was an anomaly. Kruse, Johnson, and Ford are really the only guys with consistent offensive output. You lost the elder Craggs to Nashville which I think is a big loss. Obviously losing Bednard hurts too. Not excuses, top programs experience attrition like this every year but are able to reload.

I hope there's a better effort this weekend at Mankato.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:36 am

I think Craggs is a bigger loss than Bednard. Dop is a good goaltender and I never thought the gap between him and Bednard was that big. Dop has played very well so far; unfortunately his defense has been out for an extended 3-martini lunch on a couple plays a game where he's been left 1-1 or 1-2 with the opposition (the OT goal RIT scored comes to mind). I might have waited to give Rose his debut at Anchorage but I can't question putting him in at home against Tech. He can't go in cold at Mankato if something happens to Dop.

Craggs, however, was a force that created the space needed for Johnson and Kruse to make their magic happen. Nothing against Barber, but I'm curious to see whether swapping him for brother Craggs on that line jumpstarts those two.
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:39 am

I understand everyone's points, and I certainly think there is some merit there.

I'm just not going to overreact to October hockey.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:32 pm

Last year was a once in a 3 decade break for BG. Big non conference wins early on, a series sweep against a high pair wise team in Mankato, and other teams choking down the stretch. All that matters is the WCHA playoffs unfortunately. The hope has to be that the team is playing good hockey at the end of the year when it counts.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:40 pm

TommyG wrote:Last year was a once in a 3 decade break for BG. Big non conference wins early on, a series sweep against a high pair wise team in Mankato, and other teams choking down the stretch. All that matters is the WCHA playoffs unfortunately. The hope has to be that the team is playing good hockey at the end of the year when it counts.

It was kinda the perfect storm last season.

Based on recent history, I expect that this team will be playing their best when March comes around.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Hockey