Ty Eigner

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Re: Ty Eigner

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:40 am

Lord_Byron wrote:Wayne Wilson signed a 6 year extension at RIT. Not sure if he used us as leverage or not, but good for him.

I didn't think he'd change horses at this point. Life is pretty good for him in Rochester.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby Flipper » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:50 pm

There's always a level risk with any coaching change. I think this hiring carries a little more risk than I would have liked to have seen. Eigner has HC experience at the HS level (Mike JInks showed the value of that in football) and none in college. I don't follow college hockey nearly as closely as I do the NHL...but I don't recall Eigner ever being a candidate for a HC at another school.

Wish him nothing but success...but I have some concerns..
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Roll Along! » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Flipper wrote:There's always a level risk with any coaching change. I think this hiring carries a little more risk than I would have liked to have seen. Eigner has HC experience at the HS level (Mike JInks showed the value of that in football) and none in college. I don't follow college hockey nearly as closely as I do the NHL...but I don't recall Eigner ever being a candidate for a HC at another school.

https://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/co ... 513593002/
Roll Along!
Egg
Egg

Postby pdt1081 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:55 pm

Flipper wrote:There's always a level risk with any coaching change. I think this hiring carries a little more risk than I would have liked to have seen. Eigner has HC experience at the HS level (Mike JInks showed the value of that in football) and none in college. I don't follow college hockey nearly as closely as I do the NHL...but I don't recall Eigner ever being a candidate for a HC at another school.

There are a lot of college assistants that get head coaching jobs without necessarily having head coaching experience. Bergeron and Wayne Wilson, for example. Some have success, others not so much (Scott Paluch).
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:37 am

There are plenty of examples (both good and bad) of successful assistants being hired as head coaches with no head coaching experience. Such is life at a mid-major program. Yes, BGSU is, or rather has been, a bit higher than "mid major" in hockey -- but only on the ice. The program funding is definitely still at a mid major level.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:41 pm

Coach Eigner is being introduced at the Stroh Center at 1:30pm today. It's being streamed live on the athletic department's website.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:42 am

I'm starting to think we may just see Brett Harkins as an assistant coach.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby rood » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:16 pm

pdt1081 wrote:I'm starting to think we may just see Brett Harkins as an assistant coach.

People were making a fuss about hiring a head coach with no college head coaching experience. Imagine the noise if we hire an assistant with one year of coaching experience at the U16 level. Unless there's something not showing up on eliteprospects.com.
I love people who can laugh at themselves. It saves me the effort.
rood
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:58 pm

rood wrote:
pdt1081 wrote:I'm starting to think we may just see Brett Harkins as an assistant coach.

People were making a fuss about hiring a head coach with no college head coaching experience. Imagine the noise if we hire an assistant with one year of coaching experience at the U16 level. Unless there's something not showing up on eliteprospects.com.

He's currently a scout with the Boston Bruins. He knows talent and the game.

I know nothing inside. Just seems to me like a name that would make sense based on some of the things Coach said during his press conference. And there's been little speculation in the way of assistant coaches, so why not get a little discussion going.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:27 pm

In the latest Ziggy Cast with Walker, Eigs made it sound like there are a lot of candidates reaching out to him and expressing interest in the asst job. I think it was around the 38 minute mark.
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby rood » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:30 pm

pdt1081 wrote:
rood wrote:

He's currently a scout with the Boston Bruins. He knows talent and the game.

I know nothing inside. Just seems to me like a name that would make sense based on some of the things Coach said during his press conference. And there's been little speculation in the way of assistant coaches, so why not get a little discussion going.

I knew he's been scouting but there's a big difference between recognizing talent and coaching. He'd certainly be an interesting choice to be the main recruiter.
rood
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:23 pm

TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:In the latest Ziggy Cast with Walker, Eigs made it sound like there are a lot of candidates reaching out to him and expressing interest in the asst job. I think it was around the 38 minute mark.

He made similar comments during the press conference. Combined with his response to one of the Twitter posts with "askty," leads me to believe at least one assistant will be a former teammate from here.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby rood » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:10 am

Well, if we want to speculate on names for assistant coaches...

I ran through Eigner's former teammates on eliteprospects.com and there were only three that jumped out at me with significant and/or recent coaching experience.

John Burke - 25 years total as RPI men's assistant and RPI women's head coach
Martin Jiranek - 12 years as either "sports manager" (whatever that is), youth hockey supervisor or head coach in Germany
Ken Klee - 4 years coaching various US National women's teams and the last 2 as assistant coach for the Syracuse Crunch

There's your goalie coach, ice arena manager/forwards coach, and defense coach.
rood
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:50 am

Speaking of goalie coach, did Spratt head down south? I haven't seen or heard anything other than some rumor he was waiting to see if Moose matched Miami State's offer.
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:24 am

TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:Speaking of goalie coach, did Spratt head down south? I haven't seen or heard anything other than some rumor he was waiting to see if Moose matched Miami State's offer.

I have no way to officially confirm anything either way, but I was told that he WASN'T at Eigner's introductory presser, so I assume he is out the door.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey