Coaching Search

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Re: Coaching Search

Postby Hockey John » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:02 am

mbenecke wrote:
Hockey John wrote:
According to a tweet from BGSUhockey.com yesterday, Moosebrugger sees a decision on a new coach taking a month to a month and a half. I wish that I could trust Moosebrugger to make a good choice, but I don't. I hope that someone is keeping in communication with the current players and recruits. We definitely want to keep the upward momentum going.

I understand being wary of the timeline, as I think most fans are, but I'm actually a bit surprised that you don't trust Moosbrugger to make a good hire. I would love to hear more on why you think that way, because I feel quite the opposite, respectfully.

During his nearly 3-year tenure here:
-hired Matt Fannon for women's soccer, and they immediately turned around and won the MAC in 2 years
-hired Robyn Fralick, and while it hasn't happened yet (only one season under her belt), I think she is going to turn the program around
-made the bold but necessary move to let Jinks go, despite the financial strain, because he knew it was what the program needed
-hired Scot Loeffler, who I have heard/seen nothing but good things about (probably won't see real results this year, but the potential in the future is high, for sure)

To me, he has done nothing but inspire confidence in his ability to conduct an effective search and make a great hire. This feels like a situation where we really have an abundance of options, and I trust that he will take his time and make a strong decision that will be in the best interest of the fans and the program, alike.

I'm a firm supporter of Bob Moosbrugger as our athletic director.

Fair enough on Fannon. I too am hopeful that Fralick is able to turn around the women's basketball program. As far as Loeffler, my fear is that he has moved around so much that he will not be here long before he jumps to the next job. The jury is still out on two of the hires.

Perhaps my opinion of our athletic director is colored by the fact that he rubs me the wrong way. I have had some dealings with him where he has disappointed me with his response and lack of concern for some of the BG fan base.
Hopefully, he gets the hire right. We need to keep the upward progression of the hockey program going.
Hockey John
Chick
Chick

Postby jbakerifm » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:09 am

mbenecke wrote:
Hockey John wrote:
According to a tweet from BGSUhockey.com yesterday, Moosebrugger sees a decision on a new coach taking a month to a month and a half. I wish that I could trust Moosebrugger to make a good choice, but I don't. I hope that someone is keeping in communication with the current players and recruits. We definitely want to keep the upward momentum going.

I understand being wary of the timeline, as I think most fans are, but I'm actually a bit surprised that you don't trust Moosbrugger to make a good hire. I would love to hear more on why you think that way, because I feel quite the opposite, respectfully.

During his nearly 3-year tenure here:
-hired Matt Fannon for women's soccer, and they immediately turned around and won the MAC in 2 years
-hired Robyn Fralick, and while it hasn't happened yet (only one season under her belt), I think she is going to turn the program around
-made the bold but necessary move to let Jinks go, despite the financial strain, because he knew it was what the program needed
-hired Scot Loeffler, who I have heard/seen nothing but good things about (probably won't see real results this year, but the potential in the future is high, for sure)

To me, he has done nothing but inspire confidence in his ability to conduct an effective search and make a great hire. This feels like a situation where we really have an abundance of options, and I trust that he will take his time and make a strong decision that will be in the best interest of the fans and the program, alike.

I'm a firm supporter of Bob Moosbrugger as our athletic director.

I had a ton of confidence up until I heard a month and a half. This is prime scouting and recruiting time with junior teams in the playoffs and less coaching duties. We also have multiple players who could jump to the pros that could use some reassurance. The time to strike is now and not leave the next coach in the hole to start with. If it's going to take a month and a half it better be because we are hiring Scotty Bowman. No joke - we have a solid in-house options and several good options with long time ties to the university. If the month and a half is because we have to hunt all over, then there was a lack of preparation for an entirely foreseeable event.
jbakerifm
Chick
Chick

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:39 am

jbakerifm wrote:I had a ton of confidence up until I heard a month and a half.

+1

That timeline has me worried for the same reasons.
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsDownForWhat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:45 am

heard BGSU is hiring Gordon Bombay...Presser expected Friday afternoon
TalonsDownForWhat
Egg
Egg

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:14 pm

Lots of variables in play here:

1. The job hasn't even been posted yet which signals to me there's an internal search going on. I've read that Blake, Emerson, and McPhee have been contacted to assist with the search. If the job isn't posted then I doubt an external search firm has been hired.

2. BG hasn't been in this position for nearly 30 years. It's a desirable job and I'm sure the last thing Moose and the rest of the group want to do is rush this decision. This hire is critical to the future of BG hockey.

3. Hockey is a tough sport to hire for. Moose likely has minimal experience in dealing with the X's and O's of the game which could be playing a role.

I agree with the fact that the longer the search goes, the higher the risk of committed recruits jumping ship. Moose, Eigner (Schuette?) and anyone else associated with the program are likely trying to hold the recruiting class by selling the university as a whole. Six weeks is too long to go and makes BG look like they were caught with their pants down.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby threestooges » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:57 pm

I don't know a ton about how these hirings work, but if -- if -- the hiring is going to take a month or longer, is it possible that the delay is due to University HR rather than Moose? It seems like many jobs at universities take several weeks to accept applications, etc. I'm wondering if the powers that be across campus don't feel that the hockey job needs to be filled immediately, since the season is six months away.

Also, whether that is or isn't the case, I'm sure Moose is working hard toward making a hire. I wouldn't be surprised if he has someone lined up much sooner than a month from now, and then has to sit around twiddling his thumbs while they wait for the 'application deadline' imposed by HR.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Hockey John » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:18 pm

threestooges wrote:I don't know a ton about how these hirings work, but if -- if -- the hiring is going to take a month or longer, is it possible that the delay is due to University HR rather than Moose? It seems like many jobs at universities take several weeks to accept applications, etc. I'm wondering if the powers that be across campus don't feel that the hockey job needs to be filled immediately, since the season is six months away.

Also, whether that is or isn't the case, I'm sure Moose is working hard toward making a hire. I wouldn't be surprised if he has someone lined up much sooner than a month from now, and then has to sit around twiddling his thumbs while they wait for the 'application deadline' imposed by HR.

Miami fired their coach on March 19 and hired Berge on April 4th. Their search did not take a month and a half. Most of their wait was for our season to end. It does not take a month and a half to hire a coach, Like others that have mentioned earlier on this thread, the long time frame is very concerning.
Hockey John
Chick
Chick

Postby bgbill » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:27 pm

The change with the women's basketball team was a little less than a month. The firing was posted on bgsufalcons.com on 3/8, and the hiring on 4/3. We lived.
All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds.
bgbill
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Even if the HR part of the equation takes a bit longer, there's no reason Moose can't basically offer the job to -- and have it accepted by -- his candidate much sooner. While the paperwork is being finalized, the coach can still be working the recruiting trail and be in contact with those who have already committed to the program. Again, I do NOT see this taking that long, no matter what is being said publicly.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGDrew » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Hockey John wrote:
Falconwriter wrote:
BGDrew wrote:
jpfalcon09 wrote:Bylsma is off to coach Team USA with Blashill. Not sure if that means he's out of the running but he'll be pretty busy the next couple weeks.

World Championships don't start until next month, so if Bylsma wanted to be in play there'd be time to get things handled before that tournament began (not at all am I saying he's 100% in play either).

mbenecke wrote:Probably has nothing to do with it, but I've heard from a few people that this search could last up to a month, with the amount of guys they're touching base with.

I'd hope that's not their working timeline. Recruits are sitting at home wondering who they're going to be playing for. You can't leave them in the wind that long because that's when other coaches start calling. It's not like this opening blindsided them.

For whatever it's worth there's been very little "noise" about the search. There's been rumors, of course, but nothing concrete/confirmed to report.

I'll be surprised if Moose doesn't have this wrapped up within another week. They didn't bother to name anyone as interim coach (probably because the two key guys are either going to Miami and/or in the running for the job). So there's obviously no one to keep in contact with recruits. I can't see things dragging out so long they lose all the momentum created by the NCAA appearance.

That’s not what he said or what I repeated. He said it could take up to a month and a half. Also mentioned it could be over in two weeks or less.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Hockey John » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 pm

BGDrew wrote:
Hockey John wrote:
Falconwriter wrote:
BGDrew wrote:
jpfalcon09 wrote:Bylsma is off to coach Team USA with Blashill. Not sure if that means he's out of the running but he'll be pretty busy the next couple weeks.

World Championships don't start until next month, so if Bylsma wanted to be in play there'd be time to get things handled before that tournament began (not at all am I saying he's 100% in play either).

mbenecke wrote:Probably has nothing to do with it, but I've heard from a few people that this search could last up to a month, with the amount of guys they're touching base with.

I'd hope that's not their working timeline. Recruits are sitting at home wondering who they're going to be playing for. You can't leave them in the wind that long because that's when other coaches start calling. It's not like this opening blindsided them.

For whatever it's worth there's been very little "noise" about the search. There's been rumors, of course, but nothing concrete/confirmed to report.

I'll be surprised if Moose doesn't have this wrapped up within another week. They didn't bother to name anyone as interim coach (probably because the two key guys are either going to Miami and/or in the running for the job). So there's obviously no one to keep in contact with recruits. I can't see things dragging out so long they lose all the momentum created by the NCAA appearance.

That’s not what he said or what I repeated. He said it could take up to a month and a half. Also mentioned it could be over in two weeks or less.

I am sorry that I did not see your follow up tweet. The tweet I saw that the search could take up to a month and a half. That tweet is what I based my comment on. Sorry that I didn't see all three tweets.
Hockey John
Chick
Chick

Postby mmisbg » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:26 am

TalonsDownForWhat wrote:heard BGSU is hiring Gordon Bombay...Presser expected Friday afternoon

To be fair, I think this guy is available. I haven't seen him around in quite a while.
mmisbg
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:59 am

Probably going to be tough to find someone to take the job. Bergeron set the bar high with all those third place finishes.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:10 am

I'm done. Added to the block list along with Apollo.
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:09 am

I'm considering blocking him also. I don't want to but his posts generally add nothing of value to any conversation.
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey