Ice Arena Expansion?

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Ice Arena Expansion?

Postby Falcon Fanatic » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:33 pm

http://ofcc.ohio.gov/Portals/0/RFQ-BGS-166228-AE.pdf

This is an application to open bidding for a feasibility study to expand the Ice Arena.

This study will essentially concentrate on two separate areas. The first area of study centers on the existing Ice Arena and the potential improvements in that space. The proposed improvements include: expanding the existing Press Box area to accommodate the needs of the working press, including a meeting room and box type seating; a consideration of the creation of box seats and suites in the existing bleacher seat area; the creation of a special “club” or lounge area overlooking the ice that would include a bar/food and box suites; a special lighting package that includes specialty lighting for pre-game and Ice Shows, spotlights, and special effects; outside lighting on the Arena; a package to support training on the main ice, including a jump harness, updated main ice music box, on-ice motion analysis/motion capture equipment. The second element would include potential additions to the Arena and would concentrate on: a study of the financial and physical consideration of the construction of a third sheet of ice, which would be a full size surface; off-ice rooms that would include a dance/ballet studio possibly combined with a cardio/fitness studio; hockey hand skills studio which would include synthetic floor, mechanical shoot/passing machines, and a sound system; five additional locker rooms to support all ice surfaces; a new or renovated lounge space; and specialty rooms to support meetings, conferences, parties, etc.

50 DAYS!!!
#DropThePuck
#ChampionshipBound
"Regarding BGSU, I would think their biggest strength is that they never give up, They never slow down and they battle hard even after the other team scores. We have to be on our game and never, ever take the foot off the gas for a second."
~~USCHO Poster
"BG was relentless. It's like they know that a good first pass on the breakout from a defenseman will almost always result in an odd-man rush against them - but they go in anyway and dare you to make that pass. All three of their goals were just grit and effort. That's a team any fan can be proud to support...they give all they've got."
~~USCHO Poster, AFTER Tech beat us
#NeverGiveUp
#NeverSurrender
#Relentless
#Resiliant
Falcon Fanatic
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Ice Arena Expansion?

Postby Critical Thinker » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:47 pm

Interesting, though I don't think we're going to see any major investment in the ice arena until the Doyt gets whatever it needs.

Falcon Fanatic wrote:
The second element would include potential additions to the Arena and would concentrate on: a study of the financial and physical consideration of the construction of a third sheet of ice, which would be a full size surface; off-ice rooms that would include a dance/ballet studio possibly combined with a cardio/fitness studio; hockey hand skills studio which would include synthetic floor, mechanical shoot/passing machines, and a sound system; five additional locker rooms to support all ice surfaces; a new or renovated lounge space; and specialty rooms to support meetings, conferences, parties, etc.

What I'd be most interested in seeing from this is the cost of expansion vs the cost of building a whole new arena. I wouldn't be surprised if a new arena ended up being cheaper.
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby jbakerifm » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:51 pm

I'm excited they are at least considering a second full sheet. Would really add to BGs Potential as a hockey town.
jbakerifm
Chick
Chick

Postby pdt1081 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:45 am

Critical Thinker wrote:What I'd be most interested in seeing from this is the cost of expansion vs the cost of building a whole new arena. I wouldn't be surprised if a new arena ended up being cheaper.

I'll all but guarantee one of the proposals will be to make the new sheet of ice the main sheet, with the upgraded press box, suites, etc. Basically a brand new arena with only one sheet of ice. An expansion will be less expensive than building a new 3 sheet complex. The major cost will be the renovations to the current sheet. The roof/ceiling is a limiting factor for construction. I don't want to lose the low metal roof. It is what makes 3000 people LOUD.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGhockeyfan94 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:54 pm

pdt1081 wrote:
Critical Thinker wrote:What I'd be most interested in seeing from this is the cost of expansion vs the cost of building a whole new arena. I wouldn't be surprised if a new arena ended up being cheaper.

I'll all but guarantee one of the proposals will be to make the new sheet of ice the main sheet, with the upgraded press box, suites, etc. Basically a brand new arena with only one sheet of ice. An expansion will be less expensive than building a new 3 sheet complex. The major cost will be the renovations to the current sheet. The roof/ceiling is a limiting factor for construction. I don't want to lose the low metal roof. It is what makes 3000 people LOUD.

Exactly! I do not want to see that roof go.
Bring back the glory!
BGhockeyfan94
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby BGDrew » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:06 pm

It's a bit disappointing we're doing yet another study. I know of at least two, if not three, that have been completed in the last decade or so. I remember 10 years ago or so seeing construction drawings for a renovated ice arena that included a new suite/club section above the skate shop and Zamboni room.

A new two-sheet arena would be in the $35-45 million range, which means barring a very big donation it's not happening.

A more realistic renovation will probably see a new suite/club space above the south end, the bleachers from goal line to goal line replaced with chairbacks (except section E), and a two-level press box.

This might be a better question for those in the community, but is there really a need for three sheets of ice in BG?
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jbakerifm » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:42 pm

Is there a need? I would say yes. Take a look at the ice schedules from September to March. Booked solid till 11 or midnight. A major barrier to expanding alot of the programs is the fact that the only open ice slots are after 10pm. Id bet the senior league would double in size if they could play at a somewhat reasonable hour. Nothing like playing till midnight and trying to get to work on time the next morning. Could also host more youth tourneys/state hockey tourney etc
jbakerifm
Chick
Chick

Postby BGhockeyfan94 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:06 am

jbakerifm wrote: Id bet the senior league would double in size if they could play at a somewhat reasonable hour. Nothing like playing till midnight and trying to get to work on time the next morning.

Only reason I am not playing senior league right now
Bring back the glory!
BGhockeyfan94
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby factman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:12 am

Here' s hoping any fundraising efforts go towards replenishing scholarships to ALL sports, prior to more capital improvements. I'm wondering how much this study cost.
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGDrew » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:07 am

factman wrote:Here' s hoping any fundraising efforts go towards replenishing scholarships to ALL sports, prior to more capital improvements. I'm wondering how much this study cost.

These studies typically come out of the University's fund instead of the athletic department.
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby apollo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:31 am

Maybe we could put a brand new fence around the practice sheet of ice like we did for the football practice fields. That'd be money well spent!

Maybe BG is planning a massive capital project and hoping to get money from the state? That is the only way they'd sniff raising enough to do anything of significance. Ball State did something similar and upgraded many of their sports facilities along with some campus buildings.
apollo
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGDrew » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:59 pm

apollo wrote:Maybe we could put a brand new fence around the practice sheet of ice like we did for the football practice fields. That'd be money well spent!

Maybe BG is planning a massive capital project and hoping to get money from the state? That is the only way they'd sniff raising enough to do anything of significance. Ball State did something similar and upgraded many of their sports facilities along with some campus buildings.

It's possible they'll do a big campaign soon. They want upwards of $40 million for the next Doyt renovations which will be all private donations. Source: http://m.sent-trib.com/sports/doyt-perr ... l?mode=jqm
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby It's the Journey... » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:17 pm

apollo wrote:Maybe we could put a brand new fence around the practice sheet of ice like we did for the football practice fields. That'd be money well spent!

The fence was part of a private donation. So try barking up another tree.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby apollo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:34 am

I don't care if it was a private donation...waste of money on practice fields that are barely used.
apollo
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby It's the Journey... » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:33 pm

So you want to be the person who tells everyone how to spend their own money??? Sorry, baseball isn't everyone elses priority.

Why are you on here if you are just going to complain about every decision the department makes?
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Hockey