Bye Week

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Bye Week

Postby pdt1081 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:37 am

I'm guessing another split. Somehow, some way, it will happen.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Bye Week

Postby mbenecke » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:42 am

I would get annoyed about the pessimism, but you're not unjustified. Lol

I hope the off-weekend is exactly what this team needs to reset. In 2017, we won 6 straight and got to the WCHA championship game after the off weekend in February. Last year, we won 5 of 6 after the break. Here's hoping that this year follows the same trend.
Bleacher Creature. AYA Social Studies Education. BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGDrew » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:28 pm

This is purely conjecture as I haven’t heard anything officially, but I think we’re pretty dinged up right now. There’s been a pretty sharp decline in the physical game the last few weeks. Bye week came at a good time to rest up for the playoff push.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:17 pm

BGDrew wrote:This is purely conjecture as I haven’t heard anything officially, but I think we’re pretty dinged up right now. There’s been a pretty sharp decline in the physical game the last few weeks. Bye week came at a good time to rest up for the playoff push.

I think there's players who play a lot of minutes that haven't been 100% since real early in the season. Just watching the way they skate, you can tell they're in some pain.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:40 pm

pdt1081 wrote:
BGDrew wrote:This is purely conjecture as I haven’t heard anything officially, but I think we’re pretty dinged up right now. There’s been a pretty sharp decline in the physical game the last few weeks. Bye week came at a good time to rest up for the playoff push.

I think there's players who play a lot of minutes that haven't been 100% since real early in the season. Just watching the way they skate, you can tell they're in some pain.

There are definitely some guys who are dinged up. I remember hearing that for one recent road trip, every scratch but one was due to injury.

I'm hoping this weekend's free time lets them heal up so they're ready for this final stretch. Lots of important moments ahead, so they've gotta be ready.
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:13 pm

Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:21 pm

I find this to be good news. I know it's getting to be a later start, but it allows for people to be able to go to both basketball and hockey that night. It's in the best interest of all parties to move the game back by 30 minutes.
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:03 pm

End of the week, with all the OT games and "split points" games, BG finds itself tied for second, but should lose that tiebreaker based on league wins. I'll have to look that up, but they split the 4 game season series, so I believe number of league wins comes next (13-14 right now). If the regular season ended today, Tech would be at BG in the first round. That's about as close to a split on a bye week as you can get. Got some much needed help from UAH, just not quite enough.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:07 pm

pdt1081 wrote:End of the week, with all the OT games and "split points" games, BG finds itself tied for second, but should lose that tiebreaker based on league wins. I'll have to look that up, but they split the 4 game season series, so I believe number of league wins comes next (13-14 right now). If the regular season ended today, Tech would be at BG in the first round. That's about as close to a split on a bye week as you can get. Got some much needed help from UAH, just not quite enough.

The good news is that when you compare schedules with the other contenders (mainly LSSU and NMU), you see that we have a great shot at finishing top-2.

BG: vs. Alaska (x2), @ Bemidji (x2), vs. UAH (x2)

NMU: @ Bemidji (x2), vs. LSSU (x2), @/vs. Tech

LSSU: vs. Tech (x2), @ NMU (x2), vs. Ferris (x2)

I think we win 5/6 to close. I think LSSU finishes with 3 or 4/6. I think NMU finishes with 3 or 4/6.
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BG84 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:21 pm

I don't see BG winning 5 of 6. We've swept WCHA teams only twice this season and have split every weekend in 2019. We need more goals.
BG84
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:18 pm

BG84 wrote:I don't see BG winning 5 of 6. We've swept WCHA teams only twice this season and have split every weekend in 2019. We need more goals.

While I see your point, my thought is based on the team having an extra week to get healthy. It hasn't been well-publicized, but we've been extremely dinged up since Christmas. I'm also looking back at the last 2 years following the February bye, where we have won 11 of 12 over that time period.

Obviously I'm hopeful, though I definitely see the point you're making too. If this team is who they have shown they can be, they will sweep the 7th best tam and 8th best team in the conference while playing here at home, and they will at least split with the 5th best team in the conference. If not, well, then we didn't deserve a top-2 seed in the first place.
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby unfalconbelievable » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:33 pm

Winning 8 in a row, which will but us in the 2nd round of wcha playoffs at home. Doing that may give BG a chance still at an at-large bid without having to win the tournament. Any set back now will force BG to win the tournament as the only option.
unfalconbelievable
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby AZIce » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:57 pm

unfalconbelievable wrote:Winning 8 in a row, which will but us in the 2nd round of wcha playoffs at home. Doing that may give BG a chance still at an at-large bid without having to win the tournament. Any set back now will force BG to win the tournament as the only option.

Northeastern and Harvard both losing their games tonight in the Beanpot Tourney would be a big help to our PairWise standing. They are the two teams immediately ahead of us in 14 and 13........root for the other Boston schools.
AZIce
Egg
Egg

Postby mbenecke » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:02 pm

AZIce wrote:
unfalconbelievable wrote:Winning 8 in a row, which will but us in the 2nd round of wcha playoffs at home. Doing that may give BG a chance still at an at-large bid without having to win the tournament. Any set back now will force BG to win the tournament as the only option.

Northeastern and Harvard both losing their games tonight in the Beanpot Tourney would be a big help to our PairWise standing. They are the two teams immediately ahead of us in 14 and 13........root for the other Boston schools.

Absolutely my plan.

Won't be hard to root for Jerry York to win tonight - and he just received a contract extension from BC through 2022 this morning.
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby unfalconbelievable » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Harvard won and Northeastern is winning in the 3rd.
Sad that we're in this position AGAIN. Can't do things ourselves so we have to cheer for others to collapse
unfalconbelievable
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Hockey