Transfer Watch

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Tue May 07, 2019 9:06 am

Flipper wrote:Antimob....i think you expecting fealty rather than loyalty. Coaches walk out on kids they recruited every year. Players transfer every year...both sides of the equation know that going in

I absolutely think if a coach leaves that players should be able to transfer and play immediately. I'm aware of the type of mass exodus that would occur, but when a player commits to a school they are mostly committing to the coach who brings them in. I complain about kids leaving on here because as a BG fan it sucks to see talented players leaving, not because I resent them or don't think they have the right to do what's best for them.
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Postby hammb » Tue May 07, 2019 12:38 pm

JohnFloyd4Life wrote:
Flipper wrote:Antimob....i think you expecting fealty rather than loyalty. Coaches walk out on kids they recruited every year. Players transfer every year...both sides of the equation know that going in

I absolutely think if a coach leaves that players should be able to transfer and play immediately. I'm aware of the type of mass exodus that would occur, but when a player commits to a school they are mostly committing to the coach who brings them in. I complain about kids leaving on here because as a BG fan it sucks to see talented players leaving, not because I resent them or don't think they have the right to do what's best for them.

And I don't think anybody really has a problem with your sentiment. I hate to see kids leave BG too. Especially when they're players we're counting on. IT sucks, but I also don't begrudge the players leaving. As a MAC fan yeah, I want the NCAA to legislate the toughest transfer rules imaginable to help our team(s) compete. But as a human being that really seems shitty as hell.

IN reality, I don't care if a kid doesn't like the brand of ketchup in the dining halls. If that's reason enough for him to want to go to a different school, so be it. I loved my time at BG but fully understand it's not for everyone. I also understand that for 99% of these kids (ESPECIALLY the ones that come to BG) there is far more to their college experience than football. Even if they loved being a BG Falcon on the football team, and there isn't a better football situation for them, I wouldn't want them to stay here if their true desire was to pursue a program that BG doesn't offer is poor at.

I have no issue at all with people lamenting recruiting losses. I have major issues with people acting like these kids should be vilified for leaving and not showing "loyalty" to the school/team. OR people bitching that the NCAA doesn't force them to honor their initial commitments.

They're still kids trying to set themselves up for their life after school and football. IF that future is best served at BG, awesome, I'm happy to have them. If it's best served by heading elsewhere, then I wish them luck in their future endeavors. I'm confident that we can find 85 Falcons that have their future best served here, I feel no need to hold kids hostage if they're not among that group.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Tony4BG » Wed May 08, 2019 11:33 am

Per sources of Jordan Strack, Jarret Doege is leaving BG.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby mbenecke » Wed May 08, 2019 11:42 am

Tony4BG wrote:Per sources of Jordan Strack, Jarret Doege is leaving BG.

Tough loss, but understandable. He was a Jinks guy. Best of luck to him, and I hope the guys behind him are ready. I read that we may be in play to land some type of transfer, but that remains to be seen.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Wed May 08, 2019 11:53 am

mbenecke wrote:I read that we may be in play to land some type of transfer, but that remains to be seen.

I'm guessing Brandon Peters and Tommy Stevens make sense now
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Flipper » Wed May 08, 2019 12:46 pm

Yeah....getting Peters would make sense now. Not a lot of those Texas guys left now
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed May 08, 2019 1:19 pm

Tony4BG wrote:Per sources of Jordan Strack, Jarret Doege is leaving BG.

I'm bummed about this. The kid seemed to have some talent.

Oh well. Next up.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby Dayons_Den » Wed May 08, 2019 1:30 pm

Bryce Veasley... LET'S GO!
all bowling green
Dayons_Den
aka Joe Bair's Lair
aka Joe Bair's Lair

Postby MarkL » Wed May 08, 2019 2:39 pm

Wow. Major loss there. I had heard Grant Loy was looking very good in camp so that may be the cause.

It will be strange. The last time we had the same QB start every game for two seasons? 2011-2012 with Matt Schilz.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:18 pm

Damn man....very disappointing news. This surprises me based on the fact he was a two-year starter who was set to start again this season. He was also number one in the spring, and remained here through all of spring. I really hope the reason for this is because we have a sure-fire transfer with immediate eligibility that’s coming in to prompt this.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Wed May 08, 2019 6:48 pm

This makes sense if it's academics or he was advised that a transfer was coming in and he didn't want to sit. As badly as he was hurt his freshman year, he could conceivably apply for a sixth year wherever he lands....I think
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Falconwriter » Wed May 08, 2019 7:41 pm

Tony4BG wrote:
mbenecke wrote:I read that we may be in play to land some type of transfer, but that remains to be seen.

I'm guessing Brandon Peters and Tommy Stevens make sense now

At least one writer is predicting Peters to attend Purdue (it's close to his home and his sister is there (or was).

Stevens visited Kentucky, and would probably make a good QB for them, since one of their key guys used the portal to go to Ohio State, and has two years remaining.

There is at least a decent chance neither guy will be at BG.

If they do not get a transfer, it's possible this coming season could easily rank among the worst (record-wise) in Falcon history. No defense is a given; and now with Doege, an offense probably far less prolific.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Tony4BG » Wed May 08, 2019 8:07 pm

Another grad transfer to watch. Josh Jackson from VT. He hasn’t signed with Maryland.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Flipper » Wed May 08, 2019 8:52 pm

He would make more sense than Stevens or Peters given his dad's ties to UM and the number of Wolverines he coached with that are currently here
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby BGSU33 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:57 pm

The timing of this would make the most sense to me if a grad transfer is coming to BG (crossing my fingers!!!). Remember, we didn't even recruit a QB in Loeffler's first class because he said he takes a year to even offer a guy after developing relationships with one. While that approach makes a lot of sense when you're in an established situation (which BG is not), it was very risky with this class as you had Doege as a wildcard to even stay - which he said he was, but now looks to be all but gone. I felt it was a good opportunity to go after a Juco QB with one of the scholarships but we didn't. Loy is much more of just a runner and Veasley is very green and has no experience. All the other QB's are guys are walk-ons. Meaning, with Doege leaving, we're really up against a wall and go from a position that looked stable to one of real concern. The fact Doege was the starter entering spring and remained the starter after spring, then announces this makes me wonder why. An eligible transfer would answer that. But if one's not coming, then its puzzling and very troubling. Loeffler just spoke with Phil Steele yesterday and there was not one mention of Doege leaving and he said he was the #1 QB. It's very puzzling.

NIU landed a Cal grad transfer QB and CMU landed a Tennessee grad transfer QB and neither schools "needed" one. I'd say right now, BG beyond needs one. I wonder what Boston College's QB depth situation looks like up there?
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Football