Transfer Watch

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby MarkL » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:27 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:
BGSU33 wrote:I just heard that DE Anthony Johnson, one of our top recruits from this year's Scot Loeffler class, is gone. And guys, there's more departures coming. The hits keep coming and coming and coming....

From what I've seen, it looks like Anthony Johnson is still coming. His twitter bio says DE @ BGSU (which it didn't before) and he's been retweeting some of the recent BG commitment announcements.

So I don't have to go outside wearing a helmet everyday for fear the sky is falling?
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:42 am

Yeah...he's retweeting announced verbal for 2020 and self identifies as a BGSU defensive tackle....so I'd say he's in.

Defensive tackle.....hmmmm...

Somebody needs to wake the SID the frick up and advise him/her that VanGorder's Twitter acct still refers to him as the DC at Louisville. That kind of inattention is inexcusable
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby mbenecke » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:58 am

Flipper wrote:Yeah...he's retweeting announced verbal for 2020 and self identifies as a BGSU defensive tackle....so I'd say he's in.

Defensive tackle.....hmmmm...

Somebody needs to wake the SID the frick up and advise him/her that VanGorder's Twitter acct still refers to him as the DC at Louisville. That kind of inattention is inexcusable

There are 3 Brian VanGorder "official" accounts. One from his time at Notre Dame, one from his time at Louisville, and I guess one that is his account in general? Regardless, the most recent tweet from any of the 3 accounts was from November last year - so it doesn't appear that they are active.

I think it is important in today's day and age to have prominent coaches on social media, though - so I think it would be good for him to create one or have one created for him, as likes and retweets go a long way in affirming a commitment with today's recruits.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:23 pm

You have a fair amount of recruits tweeting with the Louisville BVG twitter ID when referring to him at BGSU. It sends the message that he's lazy and out of step
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Antimob » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:11 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:At the risk of re-starting a debate about whether or not transfers are good or bad

“I think we’re sending a bad message to kids that they can have a bad practice or a bad week of practice and just decide one day they’re going to walk out and put their name in the portal without talking to their coaches. I don’t think that was what everyone envisioned and it shouldn’t work that way. It’s not that way in your private life or your business life and I just think we’re sending a bad message.”

-Bob Bowlsby, expressing the sentiment of the overwhelming majority of coaches during media days.

Many feel the need to preface their statements with paeans about doing whatever is in the players best interest, showing how cowed they are by the transfer-loving establishment sports media ready to jump down their throats at any hint of deviation from their definition of best interest as "do whatever you feel like with no consequences."

These men spend most of their waking hours with these players helping, advising and guiding them. They are confidants, mentors and in some cases surrogate parents. They welcome them into their homes and make them a part of their family. Still, the mob has created a climate where they feel the need to justify themselves to a group of people who live and die by how many clicks their stories receive with virtually zero interaction with the players yet still possess the arrogance to smugly assume the pose of being the sole arbiter of their interests.

I remember a few years back when everyone was in an uproar about how bad the Northwestern football players had things. The only people that disagreed were a group that nobody cared to ask: the Northwestern football players, who took it upon themselves to overwhelmingly reject the efforts of the do-gooders to help them.

Anyone who has ever coached an athlete will tell you that making them do things they don't like or want to do in the short term is vital to that athlete achieving success in the long term. Now forget the short term: you don't like a drill during a practice and it's goodbye. They've short-circuited everything good that team sports is supposed to inculcate.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Antimob » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:36 pm

Flipper wrote:You have a fair amount of recruits tweeting with the Louisville BVG twitter ID when referring to him at BGSU. It sends the message that he's lazy and out of step

Could not agree more.

Also, there's bgfootball on Instagram with 1549 followers and the tag "The Official Instagram Page of BGSU's Football Program" with sports information photos last updated 247 weeks ago, not to be confused with BGSU_Football with 1549 followers and a handful of more recent pictures purporting to be the same.

Did someone lose the password on the first one? Even if they did they couldn't merge them together? ](*,)
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Tony4BG » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:54 am

Anyone hear why Veasley in transfer portal??
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby roguewarrior » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:22 am

Tony4BG wrote:Anyone hear why Veasley in transfer portal??

Told to leave. Housecleaning.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:10 am

roguewarrior wrote:

You seem to have an ear to the ground here, so I'll bite. Why would this happen so late in the summer? Why would you willingly go down to one surefire scholarship QB?
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:28 am

drumstix2388 wrote: You seem to have an ear to the ground here, so I'll bite. Why would this happen so late in the summer? Why would you willingly go down to one surefire scholarship QB?

Heard was a matter of shape up or ship out. Had several chances to shape up.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby roguewarrior » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:33 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:

You seem to have an ear to the ground here, so I'll bite. Why would this happen so late in the summer? Why would you willingly go down to one surefire scholarship QB?

There remains as Loeffler said 5-10% of team that is not on board. Without airing laundry...fill in the blanks: grades, classes, playbook, studying, 100% effort, on time, good citizen, stay out of bars, pass drug tests, good teammate..... after multiple chances, if you can’t do all of the above, you are out. Notice no mention of talent level. Zero tolerance. Doing it right. Also, no way in hell they go into season with 1 eligible QB. Mcdonald + other transfers likely.
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:54 pm

roguewarrior wrote:
drumstix2388 wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:

There remains as Loeffler said 5-10% of team that is not on board. Without airing laundry...fill in the blanks: grades, classes, playbook, studying, 100% effort, on time, good citizen, stay out of bars, pass drug tests, good teammate..... after multiple chances, if you can’t do all of the above, you are out. Notice no mention of talent level. Zero tolerance. Doing it right. Also, no way in hell they go into season with 1 eligible QB. Mcdonald + other transfers likely.

I noticed when Loeffler said that 5-10% figure, too, and wondered what that would mean. I guess we see now.

Does anyone know what QB transfers are still undecided? I see a few that are still out there but none that would be immediately eligible.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:01 pm

Ask and you shall receive! Eligible QB in tha house. BC transfer Darius Wade.
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby Flipper » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:08 pm

They need to cut the BS and eliminate all the confusion. I like Jim Harbaugh's idea...everyone gets to transfer without penalty once. After that, you sit a year if you transfer again. Unless you have graduaed...then you're free to move around no matter what our past looks like
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby hiway44 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:32 pm

I emailed a few coaches to take a look at a family friend's son. They never got a call from BGSU. Same school as Matt Johnson. Will somebody please contact the coach about this young man. He told Toledo and Buffalo - He will wait..

Please click on the link to see his highlight tapes. I’m sure you will be inrested!

https://www.hudl.com/profile/9609349

Some of Julian Jordan accolades:
He is ranked as a top 50 players in the State of Pennsylvania class of 2020.
His position of choice is Defensive Cornerback but plays offensive as a wide receiver.
Height: 6’2”, Weight: 196
His 40-yard dash has been clocked in the 4.4 to 4.5
Vertical is 38 inches.
ACT: will be taking this fall.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/9609349
hiway44
Egg
Egg

PreviousNext

Return to Football