Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby roguewarrior » Sun May 12, 2019 1:00 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:
drumstix2388 wrote:
MarkL wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:
BGSU33 wrote:It sounds like RB Marlow may not be with the team in the fall. He started 6 games at WR last year and was the team's third leading WR. Man, the last few seasons have been pitiful on the field, but this offseason has been pretty depressing with all these defections. It seems every couple days we're losing yet another guy for whatever reason. We held some water after the coaching change but over the past several weeks there are now leaks everywhere. The phrase "reached rock bottom" has been tossed around a lot on this board the last several years, but when you combine the on-field performance coupled with all the mass defections, I think we're finally there. It's just downright depressing because in 2015 we were sitting at the top and had been rolling for several years. Now that seems like 20 years ago already.

Some of these guys are told to go... horrible grades, work ethic, attitude, discipline, etc. he is not a loss.

What? Do you know the guy? Why would you throw something like that around? These are students. They don't deserve to be personally insultedand targeted like this.

+1. There is no room for personal attacks on this board, especially of the student athletes.

How do you know what I know? Agree not to personally “attack”,...

You strongly implied one one specific player is guilty of horrible grades, a bad work ethic, a bad attitude, and poor discipline. That looks like a personal attack to me. We should be better than that here.

I listed reasons any player may be asked to go, not just one. My point was, people here seem to think that every defection is the loss of a future NFL hall of famer, at the hands of the questionable new coaching staff. Totally wrong.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby MarkL » Sun May 12, 2019 8:46 pm

A good read from Loeffler on the transfer situation ... https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/bgsu/2019/05/10/bowling-green-scot-loeffler-roster-doege/stories/20190510014

Loeffler says they plan to add another QB. I assume that would be a transfer, either from a big school like Peters leaving Michigan or a junior college transfer.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Sun May 12, 2019 9:20 pm

MarkL wrote:A good read from Loeffler on the transfer situation ... https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/bgsu/2019/05/10/bowling-green-scot-loeffler-roster-doege/stories/20190510014

Loeffler says they plan to add another QB. I assume that would be a transfer, either from a big school like Peters leaving Michigan or a junior college transfer.

Loeffler has clearly put a lot of thought into how he wants to bring people into the program, and the importance of recruiting high school students rather than transfers. It impresses me.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby Flipper » Mon May 13, 2019 10:13 am

His approach is reminiscent of Clawson's....very methodical and structured. But then...I'm a process oriented guy. In my view, just about the only thing worse than not knowing why you failed is not knowing why you succeeded because your chances of repeating that success are lower

There's a QB in the transfer portal named Colson Yankoff. We need him here immediately. We have an offer out to 2020 HS QB Chubba Purdy.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Tony4BG » Mon May 13, 2019 12:02 pm

Flipper wrote:There's a QB in the transfer portal named Colson Yankoff. We need him here immediately. We have an offer out to 2020 HS QB Chubba Purdy.

That the guy from Washington? I would think he would sit out '19

'20 QB recruit is huge
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby drumstix2388 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:12 pm

Flipper wrote:His approach is reminiscent of Clawson's....very methodical and structured. But then...I'm a process oriented guy. In my view, just about the only thing worse than not knowing why you failed is not knowing why you succeeded because your chances of repeating that success are lower

There's a QB in the transfer portal named Colson Yankoff. We need him here immediately. We have an offer out to 2020 HS QB Chubba Purdy.

:lol:
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:19 pm

FYI, if you read anything into who people follow and who follows them on Twitter, it looks like Doege might be headed to WVU. He's followed all of their coaches and a ton of WVU blogs and insiders are following him now.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon May 13, 2019 4:51 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:FYI, if you read anything into who people follow and who follows them on Twitter, it looks like Doege might be headed to WVU. He's followed all of their coaches and a ton of WVU blogs and insiders are following him now.

Meanwhile, James Morgan still has a year of eligibility at Florida International.

Life is funny sometimes.
Schadenfreude

Postby Antimob » Mon May 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Hey, West Virginia believed in him. West Virginia offered him a scholarship when no other FBS school did. West Virginia even pushed another talented QB out the door to give him an opportunity to start. Of course West Virginia deserves the fruits of this diligent recruitment, belief, development and labor. :partyman:
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby MarkL » Mon May 13, 2019 5:15 pm

And I bet Morgan would be a better fit for this offense than the previous. Crazy.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Antimob » Mon May 13, 2019 5:23 pm

Flipper wrote:
Antimob wrote:
Who are you to liken people getting free tuition, room, board and books in a voluntary agreement to "indentured servants" in an age when tens of millions are struggling to pay college tuition debt?

Apples to bowling balls comparison. Student athletes don't get "free" anything. The University places demands on their time and bodies in exchange for the educational opportunities they receive. It's their job to be athletes...who are you to place restrictions on their freedom of movement?

Every coach in every sport at every Division I school is besieged with calls, letters, emails, tape submissions, direct messages, etc. from students and their parents begging to be put on scholarship. Sure their is work involved, but from a supply and demand standpoint they've won the lottery. They've attained the Holy Grail. They are not victims and the sacrificing of "their time and their bodies" in seen as a minor payment in exchange for the privileges they enjoy as athletes.

If you acknowledge they're adults you must recognize an unavoidable element of adulthood is having reasonable restrictions placed on movements. There's an entire branch of the legal system devoted to contract law and the enforceability of signed agreements. Non-compete clauses abound. Even if you follow the construct that athletes are employees the so-called employer is still entitled to rights under virtually any arrangement so they don't get swindled as massively as BG just was in the Doege situation.

I agree with roguewarrior that many of these changes will ultimately redound to our benefit, but if teams like WVU can simply cherry pick the (perceived) best players off other teams at any time with no restrictions then college football as we know it is finished.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby Flipper » Mon May 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Fine...Adults should accept reasonable restrictions, let's level the playing field. Coaches aren't allowed to leave one job for another unless they sit out a year or go there and work for free. After all...Universities and AD's at all levels are besieged with hundreds of applications for coaching vacancies.

And college football is always mutating...the sport I grew up watching in the 70's is nothing like the sport of today. "College football as we know it" is a meaningless term
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon May 13, 2019 5:44 pm

MarkL wrote:And I bet Morgan would be a better fit for this offense than the previous. Crazy.

Exactly.
Schadenfreude

Postby Antimob » Mon May 13, 2019 5:59 pm

Flipper wrote:Fine...Adults should accept reasonable restrictions, let's level the playing field. Coaches aren't allowed to leave one job for another unless they sit out a year or go there and work for free. After all...Universities and AD's at all levels are besieged with hundreds of applications for coaching vacancies.

And college football is always mutating...the sport I grew up watching in the 70's is nothing like the sport of today. "College football as we know it" is a meaningless term

Please cite the language in the National Letter of Intent that says anything about coaches or tying it to coaches in any way.

It actually says the opposite. They plainly sign with an institution:

I understand I have signed this NLI with the institution and not for a particular sport or coach. If a coach leaves the institution or the sports program (e.g., not retained, resigns), I remain bound by the provisions of this NLI. I understand it is not uncommon for a coach to leave his or her coaching position.“

By "college football as we know it" I mean "colleges not stealing active players off other college football teams every 45 seconds," or the good ole days.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby guest44 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:57 pm

Bowling Green hired a completely unqualified coach. Then he hired unqualified assistants who recruited the brother of one of those staff members. BG then cleared the roster to play him. BG then fires the incompetent coach and staff including the brother. I’d say this is the natural progression of a terrible hire. Now, if only the people who made the Jinks hire were held accountable.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Football