Transfer Watch

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Transfer Watch

Postby guest44 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:57 pm

Bowling Green hired a completely unqualified coach. Then he hired unqualified assistants who recruited the brother of one of those staff members. BG then cleared the roster to play him. BG then fires the incompetent coach and staff including the brother. I’d say this is the natural progression of a terrible hire. Now, if only the people who made the Jinks hire were held accountable.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon May 13, 2019 8:08 pm

guest44 wrote:Bowling Green hired a completely unqualified coach. Then he hired unqualified assistants who recruited the brother of one of those staff members. BG then cleared the roster to play him. BG then fires the incompetent coach and staff including the brother. I’d say this is the natural progression of a terrible hire. Now, if only the people who made the Jinks hire were held accountable.

I disagree on this supposed roster clearing. Doege was making much better throws than Morgan. I'll never forget the Northwestern game. Morgan was missing receivers most of the night. Jinks put Doege in the game, and suddenly he was making those same throws.

This is not to say Morgan lacked talent. He's obviously thriving at Florida International. Perhaps that offense suits him more. Or, perhaps, Jinks and his staff just weren't very good talented athletes into becoming better football players.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby Flipper » Mon May 13, 2019 8:26 pm

Coaches sign with an institution..hell...your pal St Urban had a contract extension in hand, told everyone in BG and their mother "I'm stayin til I get a title" and then he went out on a recruiting trip...on the University's dime...and negotiated a deal with Utah. He sat across from the parents of HS kids and promised them he would look out for their kids at Bowling Green. He would be a second parent to those impressionable young men and see to it that they went to class and got their degrees and then as soon as somebody offered him more $$$ he was out of BG like his ass was on fire. Those promises he made as a living, breathing huckster carried some weight...certainly more weight than words on some paper.

You support a system where coaches can tell whatever lie they need to get kids to play for them while hiding behind the excuse that "The NLI says you sign with the school". But you don't want kids to be able to play the same game by the same rules. My allegiance is to America...a country where I grew up being taught that fair is fair. What were you taught, comrade?
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Flipper » Mon May 13, 2019 8:31 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
guest44 wrote:Bowling Green hired a completely unqualified coach. Then he hired unqualified assistants who recruited the brother of one of those staff members. BG then cleared the roster to play him. BG then fires the incompetent coach and staff including the brother. I’d say this is the natural progression of a terrible hire. Now, if only the people who made the Jinks hire were held accountable.

I disagree on this supposed roster clearing. Doege was making much better throws than Morgan. I'll never forget the Northwestern game. Morgan was missing receivers most of the night. Jinks put Doege in the game, and suddenly he was making those same throws.

This is not to say Morgan lacked talent. He's obviously thriving at Florida International. Perhaps that offense suits him more. Or, perhaps, Jinks and his staff just weren't very good talented athletes into becoming better football players.

Morgan was good for at least one "WTF did he see there" interception per game. Some of that could be attributed to poor coaching....but Morgan struggled here. Doege wasn't a huge improvement....but in the system we were running, he ran it better.

We were a TERRIBLE football team the past couple of years (after being just "bad" the year before). It's not like All Mac guys are walking out the door
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Tony4BG » Mon May 13, 2019 9:06 pm

Antimob wrote:Hey, West Virginia believed in him. West Virginia offered him a scholarship when no other FBS school did. West Virginia even pushed another talented QB out the door to give him an opportunity to start. Of course West Virginia deserves the fruits of this diligent recruitment, belief, development and labor. :partyman:

Can’t tell if you’re serious or being sarcastic but who did WV push out?
Tony4BG
Chick
Chick

Postby guest44 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:38 am

It seems as if Morgan has developed and improved since leaving Jinks, Doege and the rest of the unqualified crew. Younger Doege leaving is just speeding up the process of getting rid of the Jinks everything. The scary part is that someone in the room to hire Jinks, had a big hand in the Loeffler hire. Let’s just hope you can’t botch it twice.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Tue May 14, 2019 8:51 am

guest44 wrote:It seems as if Morgan has developed and improved since leaving Jinks, Doege and the rest of the unqualified crew. Younger Doege leaving is just speeding up the process of getting rid of the Jinks everything. The scary part is that someone in the room to hire Jinks, had a big hand in the Loeffler hire. Let’s just hope you can’t botch it twice.

Just have to nitpick a bit here ....
- James Morgan was recruited by Babers. It is not overly fair to blame the previous staff for Morgan not developing as well as he has under Davis. For all we know, Morgan would have broken all of MJ's and Omar's records under Babers in an alternate universe. Maybe Morgan developed a good relationship with Babers and Lewis that just wasn't replicated by Jinks and the rest of the staff.
- Older Doege coached receivers, not QBs. Receivers developed better than some other position groups. IIRC he also was tapped to coach special teams in 2018, which sounds like a vote of confidence to me.
- A different AD and a different process led to hiring Loeffler. New AD used a search committee, not a Google search. He searched for an established professional with Ohio roots, not an up and comer from anywhere with good offense. Heck, there is a different university president. I don't see how there is any concern about the mistakes leading to Jinks happen again.

Sorry for nitpicking ...
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Tue May 14, 2019 12:29 pm

MarkL wrote:
guest44 wrote:It seems as if Morgan has developed and improved since leaving Jinks, Doege and the rest of the unqualified crew. Younger Doege leaving is just speeding up the process of getting rid of the Jinks everything. The scary part is that someone in the room to hire Jinks, had a big hand in the Loeffler hire. Let’s just hope you can’t botch it twice.

Just have to nitpick a bit here ....
- James Morgan was recruited by Babers. It is not overly fair to blame the previous staff for Morgan not developing as well as he has under Davis. For all we know, Morgan would have broken all of MJ's and Omar's records under Babers in an alternate universe. Maybe Morgan developed a good relationship with Babers and Lewis that just wasn't replicated by Jinks and the rest of the staff.
- Older Doege coached receivers, not QBs. Receivers developed better than some other position groups. IIRC he also was tapped to coach special teams in 2018, which sounds like a vote of confidence to me.
- A different AD and a different process led to hiring Loeffler. New AD used a search committee, not a Google search. He searched for an established professional with Ohio roots, not an up and comer from anywhere with good offense. Heck, there is a different university president. I don't see how there is any concern about the mistakes leading to Jinks happen again.

Sorry for nitpicking ...

One further note: more than half of the 2019 class that have signed are actually Jinks/Pelini commits, honored by BG and signed off on by Loeffler after meeting them. They did back out of one or two, and pulled offers. They are not interested in JC scraps or boystown thugs.
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby Antimob » Tue May 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Flipper wrote:Coaches sign with an institution..hell...your pal St Urban had a contract extension in hand, told everyone in BG and their mother "I'm stayin til I get a title" and then he went out on a recruiting trip...on the University's dime...and negotiated a deal with Utah. He sat across from the parents of HS kids and promised them he would look out for their kids at Bowling Green. He would be a second parent to those impressionable young men and see to it that they went to class and got their degrees and then as soon as somebody offered him more $$$ he was out of BG like his ass was on fire. Those promises he made as a living, breathing huckster carried some weight...certainly more weight than words on some paper.

You support a system where coaches can tell whatever lie they need to get kids to play for them while hiding behind the excuse that "The NLI says you sign with the school". But you don't want kids to be able to play the same game by the same rules. My allegiance is to America...a country where I grew up being taught that fair is fair. What were you taught, comrade?

So I cite the plain language of the contract which explicitly states you shouldn't sign just because of a coach and you come back with whining about it being unfair. Then don't sign the NLI! Walk away! Who is holding the gun at their head forcing them to accept the unspeakable burden of a full Division I scholarship?

Poor victimized quarterback, he no longer gets to be coached by a former Division III assistant and now has the misfortune of working with a guy who developed Tom Brady. Oh, the unfairness of it! What athlete goes through their entire career with the same coach? God forbid they get learn from someone else and develop long-lasting, meaningful relationships with different people. We can't have that going on in college athletics.
Antimob
Egg
Egg

Postby Antimob » Tue May 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Tony4BG wrote:
Antimob wrote:Hey, West Virginia believed in him. West Virginia offered him a scholarship when no other FBS school did. West Virginia even pushed another talented QB out the door to give him an opportunity to start. Of course West Virginia deserves the fruits of this diligent recruitment, belief, development and labor. :partyman:

Can’t tell if you’re serious or being sarcastic but who did WV push out?

It was sarcastic. WVU didn't push anyone out, they swooped in and stole a player from another team (although I wonder how the existing QB's on their roster feel about it). The sarcasm was meant to convey my incredulity over the circumstances of it.
Antimob
Egg
Egg

Postby Flipper » Tue May 14, 2019 5:51 pm

Antimob...Urban ran out on his contract and you love him. You just HATE the idea of the players having the same freedom of movement as the coaches...which makes you not so much a commie as a hypocrite.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Flipper » Tue May 14, 2019 6:04 pm

Tate Martell wanted to be an OSU Buckeye and those heartless bastards ran him off because they found a shiny toy from Georgia...

https://247sports.com/Article/Tate-Mart ... 132021886/

Assholes....

Good thing he had numerous options thanks to the amazing transfer portal
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Antimob » Wed May 15, 2019 6:30 pm

Flipper wrote:Antimob...Urban ran out on his contract and you love him. You just HATE the idea of the players having the same freedom of movement as the coaches...which makes you not so much a commie as a hypocrite.

Agreeing with the rules and disagreeing with your warped sentimentalized objections does not constitute hypocrisy. You do realize coaches and players are different, right? The coaches have the khaki pants and receding hairlines and their replacements can be hired when they leave. Loeffler can't simply post a job description for a quarterback on the BG Human Resources website as the Blade article recently outlined.

Lets apply your logic. Why not transfer during a season? Ohio State picks out the best performers from other schools during the non-conference season and gives them a call and we do the same with Youngstown State. Why not transfer during a game? A linebacker with 10 tackles just walks over to the other locker room during halftime and puts on a different jersey. We can't be restricting their freedom of movement, can we?

You are on the side of creating abject chaos and disorder hitherto unseen in organized athletics.
Antimob
Egg
Egg

Postby Antimob » Wed May 15, 2019 6:32 pm

Flipper wrote:Tate Martell wanted to be an OSU Buckeye and those heartless bastards ran him off because they found a shiny toy from Georgia...

https://247sports.com/Article/Tate-Mart ... 132021886/

Assholes....

Good thing he had numerous options thanks to the amazing transfer portal

Great situation...until he leaves for the next option.

And please cite where Ryan Day or anyone on the Ohio State coaching staff named Justin Fields the starter over him when they both were on campus. I'll wait.
Antimob
Egg
Egg

Postby mbenecke » Wed May 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Flipper wrote:Antimob...Urban ran out on his contract and you love him. You just HATE the idea of the players having the same freedom of movement as the coaches...which makes you not so much a commie as a hypocrite.

I think this is actually a really interesting discussion point.

I'm 100% on board with players (human beings, that is) being able to pick where they play and control their own lives. It's tough to see talented guys transfer out of BG, but that's just the reality of the times.

What I wonder about is the flip side of this. While coaches can leave for a new job with virtually no repercussion and players still have to apply for (and sometimes be denied) a waiver, it's also true that coaches can be fired for poor performance. If it is to go all the way and coaches are to be held to the same standard as players, wouldn't that mean that a player could be released (fired) for poor performance, as well? That seems asinine, but it feels like a legitimate question that could be asked, if things are to be truly equal.

It just kinda feels like opening pandora's box to compare the two as equals, no?
Bleacher Creature. AYA Social Studies Education. BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Football