New kickoff rule

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

New kickoff rule

Postby MarkL » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:29 pm

The NCAA approved a new rule regarding kickoffs in an attempt to limit injuries due to kickoff returns. If a player calls a fair catch anywhere within the 25, it is treated as a touchback and the offense takes over at the 25.

My strategic mind immediately went to onside attempts. For two reasons.
First, if you fail to recover an onside, the opponent generally gets the ball around their own 45. That's 20 yards beyond a fair catch. Situationally dependent that could be a good gamble.
Second, if kickoffs generally result in fair catches, the return team could get complacent. A crafty coach will see this and try an onside attempt to steal a possession.

Thoughts?
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: New kickoff rule

Postby mbenecke » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:09 am

I appreciate the strategic input, first and foremost. Get this man a spot on our staff!

But seriously though, I'm not sure how to feel about it. On one hand, it's probably better for player safety. But on the other hand, it eliminates one of the great struggles of the game in field position. I guess it is fair to both teams so it is probably fine, but it just feels like a strange change that will take a bit to get used to.
Bleacher Creature. AYA Social Studies Education. BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:52 am

MarkL wrote:The NCAA approved a new rule regarding kickoffs in an attempt to limit injuries due to kickoff returns. If a player calls a fair catch anywhere within the 25, it is treated as a touchback and the offense takes over at the 25.

Might as well just play overtime rules and give the ball the ball to the other team on the 25. Each team gets one "onside kick" per game, and gets the ball on the 50.

Or, just replace the football with a book. Each player moves from end zone to end zone while reading a book. They can't cross the goal line until the book is read completely. First team with everyone across the goal line wins. Makes about as much sense as the new kickoff rule.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby gmartin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Well what about that new football league starting up next year after the NFL season. Not the one by Vince McMahon but the other one. No kickoffs or punting. For an inside kick they give the ball at your own 40 and its 4th and 10. Complete the fourth down and you continued your drive. Fail on the 4th down and the other team gets the ball at the 40.

With all these rule changes, and all the discussion about CTE, I wouldn't be surprised if Football goes away before 2030.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:11 am

gmartin wrote:Well what about that new football league starting up next year after the NFL season. Not the one by Vince McMahon but the other one.

This is off topic, I guess, I could see this being a USFL reboot. Orlando will get a team. There are definitely eight football hungry cities where this league could work. How about: San Diego, Oakland, Portland, and San Antonio in the west and Orlando, Birmingham, St. Louis, and Memphis in the east?
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby Beaker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Sarcasatball grows closer to a reality all the time.
Beaker
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Football