Now that this season is over...

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Now that this season is over...

Postby tiznow » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:48 am

gmartin wrote:39 years
1991 team went 11-1, beat Fresno State in bowl game. 1st season I believe under Blackney.

Eric White and Mark Szlachiac.

and Phil Villapiano. lol
tiznow
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:51 am

So we are all talking best team. What about favorite team?

I have a soft spot for the 2012 team. For three reasons. First, nobody at all expected the jump in defense from 2011 to 2012. We all expected the defense to improve. But from the moment we saw that defense against Florida, we knew it was something special. A shutout against UMass, several MAC teams held to one score, and a Top 10 nationwide ranking in almost every defensive category. And along the way, an impressive showing against a top ten Florida team. It was unbelievable.
Second, that team had grit. They were mentally tough. We hadn't seen that in a while. When the offense failed to score, none of us were worried because we knew that a) the defense would get a stop and b) nobody on the team would be dejected over a stalled drive the way we saw in previous teams.
And finally, a personal note. That was the year I met my now wife. She thought I was nuts with how much orange and brown I wear, with how much I live my Alma Mater. She at first could barely tell the difference between a QB and a DE. By the time the season was over, she could name just about the entire starting offense and defense. She'd yell at the TV "awesome sack Chris Jones!", "BooBoo with the pick!" or "dammit Joplin!" I got to share my love of BG football and all things BGSU. We came back for homecoming, we made it to the military bowl (a metro ride away), and in the end of the season she looked forward to the next team as much as I did.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:18 pm

tiznow wrote:
gmartin wrote:39 years
1991 team went 11-1, beat Fresno State in bowl game. 1st season I believe under Blackney.

Eric White and Mark Szlachiac.

and Phil Villapiano. lol

Boom. This needs to find its way to YouTube at some point.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby kdog27 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:36 pm

20 years.
2002 was my favorite team.
Cole Magner and Khary Campbell (2001)
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby slashba33 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:58 am

23 years (1994 watching fellow HS teammates that played here)
2003 & 2015 teams (ESPN Game Day and was on the sideline for the Motor City Bowl win against NW)
Josh Harris, Matt Johnson, Omar Jacobs, Cole Magner, Dwayne Woods, Diyral Briggs, Boo Boo Gates, Freddie Barnes, Roger Lewis, Gehrig Dieter, Chris Jones...
BG Warrior!!
1 of 5 BG Alumni in the Family!
slashba33
Egg
Egg

Postby Beaker » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:31 am

My point of reference started when I was a freshman at BG in '89. The '91 and '92 teams were excellent and those were fun years. After the rough years of the mid 90's - 2000, it was special seeing the program's resurgence starting in 2001, which culminated in that 2003 team, which was my favorite for sure. That year was special with the feeling we could compete with anybody and the tailgate scene was epic that year.

Lots of great players over that span, but Kurt Gerling, Cole Magner and Josh Harris are at the top for me, then later Freddie Barnes and Travis Green. All those guys were favorites of mine due to their toughness and competitiveness. Of course, the offense gets the glory, but on the D side, when it comes to being tough and playing with fire, Vince Palko and Mitch Hewitt stand out for me.

It's nice to talk about something on this site that makes me smile instead of feel nauseous.
Beaker
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:02 pm

I grew up less than 20 mins from the Doyt, but we weren't frequent BG football fans. Instead, like most Ohioans, I was taught that I had to worship the hallowed ground in Columbus as the mecca of all things football. No idea why since my Grandparents had hoops tickets since the 60s and I was taught early on that BG was IT for college hoops...

So anyhow, didn't really start following the program closely until I got on campus in '98. Then getting to know some players was fun to watch those guys go out and represent our school. Special place in my heart for that '01 team. My senior year, and Urban's first year. Instant turnaround. Knew a few of the guys that stuck it out and bought into Urb, and I knew a few guys that washed out. I was so happy for those guys that stuck it out.

But the '03 team is hands down my favorite BG football team ever. Heck, to be honest, they may even be my favorite BG sports team of all time. Working with Noel to put Harris4Heisman.com together, the win @ Purdue is still my single greatest live sports memory, the attitude I saw at Ohio State that cemented I could never root for that school again. Spending the night in the tailgate lot for an all night tailgate. It all came together that great year, and then we had to run into the Rapist who STILL hasn't stopped tormenting my football teams.

We've had some great seasons since then, but that '03 team will always hold a VERY special place in my heart.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Previous

Return to Football