BGSU Closing Golf Course

Most things go...some holds barred...say what's on your mind (to an extent).
Forum rules This forum is a "Free-for-all" type forum, but without all the freedom. ;-) Religious or political discussions will not be tolerated, nor will personal attacks. The forum will be policed offending posts will be removed, and offending posters will be warned and/or disciplined.

BGSU Closing Golf Course

Postby gmartin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:04 pm

I just read in the Toledo Blade that BGSU is closing it's golf course for good at the end of this season. Such a shame. Do you think the University would sell the course and have someone else take it over or is the land to valuable to the University?
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: BGSU Closing Golf Course

Postby footballguy51 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:07 pm

That's been considered, but there's no market for such a sale. In this case, it's probably more fiscally responsible to keep the land and hold it for future development.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:10 pm

My hope would be that the land remains part of campus in some capacity. (And I don't mean a second "BGSU Research Enterprise Park.")
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Retirement Housing

Postby transfer2BGSU » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:02 pm

The land is going to be sold and it will become a faculty and staff retirement community. Same developer who completed the new Greek village. Will have the same look.
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby truth » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:13 pm

I have some um... :smt049 memories :smt008 ... on that hill. Whatever they do, I sure hope it stays in tact.
insane in tha membrane
truth
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby gmartin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:32 pm

truth wrote:I have some um... :smt049 memories :smt008 ... on that hill. Whatever they do, I sure hope it stays in tact.

That hill is the highest point above sea level in Wood County. Would have to leave the hill or alot of geographically stats will need be updated.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:10 am

Schadenfreude wrote:My hope would be that the land remains part of campus in some capacity. (And I don't mean a second "BGSU Research Enterprise Park.")

Why? Sensible partnerships with wisely selected commercial interests can mean $$$ for the University and educational/work opportunities for students. Win/win...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Schadenfreude » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:26 am

Flipper wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:My hope would be that the land remains part of campus in some capacity. (And I don't mean a second "BGSU Research Enterprise Park.")

Why? Sensible partnerships with wisely selected commercial interests can mean $$$ for the University and educational/work opportunities for students. Win/win...

A "Research Enterprise Park" sounded very high-minded when it was unveiled in the Olscamp era. It evoked this idea that heavy-duty research at BGSU was going to partner with free enterprise and create jobs and fuel the economy and yada, yada, yada.

Some 25 years later, what do we have? A couple of commercial buildings and a couple of government buildings from organizations that (I suppose) located near campus in order to get access to inexpensive collegiate labor. The University sold or leased a prime asset, and made some money. Students are getting some internships. Still, let's be honest: It doesn't seem like a lot of research is going on out there. This doesn't seem quite like what they sold us years ago.

(I'm not saying this is the worst use of that property on the other side of Interstate 75. The property probably has more value to others than it does to BGSU. But it doesn't seem very research-oriented.)

Anyway: I would dislike seeing commercial buildings on the golf course property. There is plenty of developable land near campus if businesses want to locate nearby, including immediately across Poe Road.

If that golf course property gets carved up, the decision would be almost irreversible. It's a beautiful site. I sure hope the university thinks carefully about this decision.
Schadenfreude

Postby Flipper » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:37 am

I'm not talking about throwing up a Wendy's and a Lowe's and putting out a hiring now sign....I think developing the site correctly is a huge...maybe the huge...opportunity for the University to develop something new and exciting that can point us towards the future without being tied directly to the State.

It's a big lump of clay..let's mold it into something awesome...more awesome than a failed golf course. What a waste of land..a golf course...Feh
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Return to Mostly-Free-For-Many