The windmill on the LAke

A place to talk about Bowling Green... beyond the University

The windmill on the LAke

Postby h2oville rocket » Mon May 17, 2010 9:54 pm

Who's got the scoop on this place? And the lake as well? Is the windmill an apartment or what? Any history on it? Curious place-kind of place I'd like to live in if I were single or w/out kids.
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: The windmill on the LAke

Postby Ydfalcon » Mon May 17, 2010 11:17 pm

Talking about the one on Clough right? I always figured it was an apartment. But I can't say with any certainty that it is or isn't. It is one of my favorite BG curiosities though, as far as residences go. That, and the former church which also appears to now be a residence. The sight of beer cans littering the steps of that building the night after a party always amused me.
- yd
Ydfalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby h2oville rocket » Tue May 18, 2010 6:22 am

Ydfalcon wrote:Talking about the one on Clough right? I always figured it was an apartment. But I can't say with any certainty that it is or isn't. It is one of my favorite BG curiosities though, as far as residences go. That, and the former church which also appears to now be a residence. The sight of beer cans littering the steps of that building the night after a party always amused me.

That's the one- there's als a brick three storyon the way north on 65 that appears to be similar in that it looks like theres just one room per floor. Both are odd but the windmill has to have a great backstory. Plus a pretty nice view for ths part o the world.
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falcon Fanatic » Tue May 18, 2010 7:26 am

Yes, it is an apt. A friend of BGFan's lived there years ago before we knew him. I always thought it'd be cool to live in a place like that!!!!
"Regarding BGSU, I would think their biggest strength is that they never give up, They never slow down and they battle hard even after the other team scores. We have to be on our game and never, ever take the foot off the gas for a second."
~~USCHO Poster
"BG was relentless. It's like they know that a good first pass on the breakout from a defenseman will almost always result in an odd-man rush against them - but they go in anyway and dare you to make that pass. All three of their goals were just grit and effort. That's a team any fan can be proud to support...they give all they've got."
~~USCHO Poster, AFTER Tech beat us
#NeverGiveUp
#NeverSurrender
#Relentless
#Resiliant
Falcon Fanatic
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFan » Tue May 18, 2010 12:31 pm

From the BGSU Center for Archival Collections:

Urschel Pond. The old stone quarry on Clough Street became Kelly Swimming Pool in the 1920s thanks to the Women's Club. In the mid-1930s, the "pool" and land were sold to Bertis H. Urschel, founder of Urshel Engineering Company, or machine works, which produced a variety of parts for government contracts, during and after World War II. Urschel is remembered for the distinctive apartment building he had constructed in the shape of a windmill, overlooking the quarry pond. The windmill was originally built to hide a pump.
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tech83 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:23 pm

When I was at BG - and if the information I was given at the time is correct - the landlord at that time only rented to women and in particular - Delta Zeta's, whose sorority house was just around the bend. I know my senior year... a couple of DZ's lived in my apartment complex and they had friends/sisters living in the windmill. Of course - that information could be completely bogus. :lol:
Tech83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby h2oville rocket » Wed May 19, 2010 5:44 am

Thanks BGFan. Great info. Now, who knows anything about the three story brick structure sitting in the yard of a farmhouse on the west side of 65 just north of town. Those are my two favorite buildings in the BG area just because of the strangeness of the size-when I was looking at moving to Colorado a few yers back we were looking at houses in Nederland and found a four story built into the side of a mountain that overlooked a huge reservoir- only one or two rooms per floor- reminded me of those two structures in BG (only much larger and with MUCH better views!).
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Wed May 19, 2010 10:07 am

factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Redwingtom » Wed May 19, 2010 10:49 am

Okay, now that we have solved those two mysteries, does anyone know what the deal is with the unfinished house on the East side of US-23 in Michigan right around mile marker 20?

It is a huge three story house with no windows and the outer shell mostly complete that has been slowly decaying for the 11+ years that I have been commuting to Dexter, MI
Redwingtom
Redwingtom
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Pete Segaard » Wed May 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Tech83 wrote:When I was at BG - and if the information I was given at the time is correct - the landlord at that time only rented to women and in particular - Delta Zeta's, whose sorority house was just around the bend. I know my senior year... a couple of DZ's lived in my apartment complex and they had friends/sisters living in the windmill. Of course - that information could be completely bogus. :lol:

I lived in the apartment on the East side of the pond in 1987/88 and sorority girls (can't remember which sorority) always lived there. A guy was skating on the pond during the winter and I watched BG cops make him leave.
Team Falcon Around
The Falcon formerly known as oaklane2
Pete Segaard
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby h2oville rocket » Wed May 19, 2010 10:32 pm

Redwingtom wrote:Okay, now that we have solved those two mysteries, does anyone know what the deal is with the unfinished house on the East side of US-23 in Michigan right around mile marker 20?

It is a huge three story house with no windows and the outer shell mostly complete that has been slowly decaying for the 11+ years that I have been commuting to Dexter, MI

Yeah, that thing is an eyesore. Somebody had grandiose plans and not much money.
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby h2oville rocket » Wed May 19, 2010 10:34 pm

factman wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/50788895@N00/3108611226/

One quick Google did it!

Excellent info. Interesting that it struck others as odd-I'm surprised somebody hasn't fixed it up and made it into something- it would make great studios. Thanks, FM.
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:04 pm

I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:28 pm

That house on 23 finally fell down this past year...legend has it that an older couple was building it as a retirement home until the wife got killed in a car accident.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Return to BG News & Views