Turner's Injury

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Turner's Injury

Postby Falconwriter » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:29 am

Thought I'd start a new topic on this, since it's very important to the potential success of this Falcon team. I realize teams don't give out much in the way of injury info these days, but as I live away from NW Ohio, even if something official is announced, my chances of seeing it are pretty rare. This way, those who live close to BG can share information as it becomes available -- and those of us not there will have a way of getting it.

Looking at the calendar, BG can rest him for almost 6 weeks, if needed, before the first conference game happens against KSU on 1-3-20 (at home). Here's hoping he comes back as good as new.

By the way, I had to shake my head after reading the official BG site's story on the Cincinnati game. There wasn't even a casual mention of Turner's injury. I get that this is an in-house site...but really? I can't imagine being the editor of that and not at least letting fans know he was hurt. Then again, I was a journalist in the dinosaur days (apparently) so I'm out of touch.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Turner's Injury

Postby Diemilkweed » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:47 pm

I've lived away from BG since 1995. In those 24 years, it has been nearly impossible to get ANY injury news, or news on who has transferred out and why.

They just never mention it - anywhere.

Until I found this site, I had no clue what was happening a lot of the time and it was extremely frustrating.
Diemilkweed
Egg
Egg

Postby BGSU33 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:36 pm

The Blade reported it is a hamstring injury. Don't know how severe and no timetable for a return. I'm crossing my fingers it's not a severe tear as it would be a massive blow to this team. Yes we won last night without him, but he's arguably the best player in the MAC. There's no replacing him. Hopefully we'll hear some encouraging news when he gets reexamined when they return to Ohio that it's only a minor tear.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/bgsu ... 0191125130
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:07 pm

Since it just happened yesterday...they might not know the full extent of the injury. Sometimes...due to swelling, bleeding etc...you can't really get a clear picture diagnostically of what's going on until the body has a chance to respond a bit.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby BGSU33 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:40 pm

Flipper wrote:Since it just happened yesterday...they might not know the full extent of the injury. Sometimes...due to swelling, bleeding etc...you can't really get a clear picture diagnostically of what's going on until the body has a chance to respond a bit.

That's kind of what I gathered as well. If anyone is listening to Todd Walker's call of the game tonight and he sheds any light on the situation, please pass it along if you would. He's obviously not going to know any specifics or details, but he probably has heard something from the BG camp as to whether they feel he more tweaked it and are being precautionary keeping him out, or if they feel it's more severe. He might make mention of it tonight. I won't be able to listen in tonight. From what I gathered, a grade 1 tear looks like day to day up until a week or so, a grade 2 looks like a couple weeks, and a grade 3 could put him on the self for months or the season. Here's hoping for the best.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:03 am

Now Frye didn't play (basically) and again no mention of why -- anywhere. This is pretty ridiculous. Just say if they're injured; you don't have to be specific, and if reporters press, just say the rules prohibit further comment.
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:39 am

With how modern privacy stuff works, I'm not surprised at all that they don't address injuries. Sure, I'd love to know as a fan of the team, but I don't know if it's any of my business.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:06 am

mbenecke wrote:With how modern privacy stuff works, I'm not surprised at all that they don't address injuries. Sure, I'd love to know as a fan of the team, but I don't know if it's any of my business.

I admit to being different on this topic, because I worked as a reporter/editor for nearly a decade. And part of that was covering sports. Back then (long ago), stuff like that would have been immediately reported. Even today, programs don't usually ignore injuries altogether -- they just give out very limited info. Granted, these are larger schools, like Ohio State, but the fact that they do it tells me it's allowed. BG is choosing to go completely dark on this.
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Turner's Injury and Dylan Frye

Postby HoopsFan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:48 pm

The other odd thing is Frye's twitter feed went blank a couple of days ago.
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

Postby BleedOrange » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:33 pm

I think the issue is legal privacy. Injury related information is protected under HIPAA. Turner's injury info is Personal Health Information, which is a legal distinction. I can tell you that organizations guard PHI with their lives.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby Diemilkweed » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:13 pm

Which is interesting to me because so many teams at so many levels in so many sports report injury information not only as a matter of course, but as a requirement.

SO that has me wondering about the interface between hippa and, say, the nba's basic contract language and requirements for teams to disclose injuries.
Diemilkweed
Egg
Egg

Postby BGSU33 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:39 pm

Anyone heard any further news on the severity of Turner's hamstring injury or a possible time table for his return?
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:45 pm

I've heard absolutely nothing. I continue to believe it's a relatively minor injury and he's just out as a precaution, though.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:19 pm

mbenecke wrote:I've heard absolutely nothing. I continue to believe it's a relatively minor injury and he's just out as a precaution, though.

I hope you're right, because I feel a little differently based on the fact it's our best player and no one is saying a word about it. Maybe I read into it more than I should have, but Huger kept referring to Turner in the past tense in his postgame interview following the Dartmouth game, saying things like "Turner was our leading scorer" or "Turner was our best defender." I know it's hard to put a time table on a return from a hamstring injury for anyone, but based on who we're talking about here, it would be nice to at least have some sort of an idea if it's a severe hamstring injury or not.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:44 am

BGSU33 wrote:
mbenecke wrote:I've heard absolutely nothing. I continue to believe it's a relatively minor injury and he's just out as a precaution, though.

I hope you're right, because I feel a little differently based on the fact it's our best player and no one is saying a word about it. Maybe I read into it more than I should have, but Huger kept referring to Turner in the past tense in his postgame interview following the Dartmouth game, saying things like "Turner was our leading scorer" or "Turner was our best defender." I know it's hard to put a time table on a return from a hamstring injury for anyone, but based on who we're talking about here, it would be nice to at least have some sort of an idea if it's a severe hamstring injury or not.

This is where I'm at. All this silence, for me, is foreboding. And rules about releasing medical info or not, BG could be saying a lot more about this, which also makes me think it's going to keep him out for an extended period of time.
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Men's Hoops