Tiffin (11/5)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: Tiffin (11/5)

Postby Siborg » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:37 am

Tough to say vs Findlay then Tiffin.

The LSU game will answer some questions.

I'd say
Mattos, Plowden, J.Turner, Fields, Frye
Sierra, Matiss, Diggs and Laster with Frye or Turner filling the 2 slot.

9 deep for the most part. Like everyone has said, the 5 slot is worrisome. I don't see the two freshman getting much playing time early on. Later on in the season we might have 10-11 deep.
Siborg
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby BleedOrange » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:38 pm

Many of us are coming to HARD conclusions about players after as single, early season game against a very uncompetitive opponents.

CTurner, Zeigler, Kula, and Mattos will all continue blossoming. Sierra might have had an off night. I'm suspending judgment for a while.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby hammb » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:51 pm

BleedOrange wrote:Many of us are coming to HARD conclusions about players after as single, early season game against a very uncompetitive opponents.

CTurner, Zeigler, Kula, and Mattos will all continue blossoming. Sierra might have had an off night. I'm suspending judgment for a while.

Tough to draw any real conclusions in games against Tiffin & Findlay. Reality is Turner & Zeigler haven't really played enough in either game to really draw any conclusion whatsoever. Other than, I suppose, to say the coaches don't plan to count on them for major minutes.

Kula, Sierra, and Mattos? Tough to draw conclusions, obviously, but let's just say these guys didn't dominate inside the way you'd like to see your frontcourt dominate Findlay & Tiffin. Really, they got manhandled inside by Findlay, which is scary.

Season is young, and conclusions are foolish at this point. But it's an easy observation to say, thus far, the backcourt looks good, the front court looks questionable, and I have no idea who takes Uju's minutes.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby mbenecke » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Kula? I dig the nickname, for typing purposes. Lol

I think it's possible we get a lot from Sierra ths year. I know not everyone is high on him around here, but I really think he is a gritty dude who can provide a spark similar to Uju last season.

I will admit right now, I underappreciated Demajeo Wiggins while he was here.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:37 pm

mbenecke wrote:Kula? I dig the nickname, for typing purposes. Lol

I think it's possible we get a lot from Sierra ths year. I know not everyone is high on him around here, but I really think he is a gritty dude who can provide a spark similar to Uju last season.

I will admit right now, I underappreciated Demajeo Wiggins while he was here.

Agreed on Wiggins. My frustration with him was around playing a plodding "classic 5" so many minutes in an era where that isn't really how hoops is played anymore. However, at least he was really good at that. The dropoff from his ability to Mattos right now is STARK. Of course Wiggins was not very good at all when he got to campus either, and he improved a great deal. Let's hope Mattos can as well.

I kinda dig the Kula, because I cannot spell his name to save my life. After listening to Jerry Anderson I THINK I have a handle on pronouncing it, but spelling it? No way. And I don't like referring to him as Mattis when we also have a Mattos...

Thing is, go back and look at the minutes last year. It's not that I don't think Sierra can do what Uju did for us last year. The issue is that Sierra played just as many minutes as Uju last year. I don't think Sierra is a guy that is going to play 26 mpg which is what we got from Uju and him combined. I'm assuming Kula (hmmmm...not sure about it I guess) gets an uptick in minutes to go along with Sierra, and that's how they absorb what Uju did, but who knows.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby footballguy51 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:09 pm

In no way am I writing people off. My observations are actually only from one game since I didn't go to the Findlay exhibition. I plan on watching the LSU game on TV (I hope I can find it) and agree that we can make some slightly better observations after that game. But, let's be honest -- the season is long for a reason, and players will ebb and flow throughout. You just hope that your team starts to gel at the right times and that the right people are having great games when you need it.

I'm not willing to write off anybody as not deserving of minutes right now. At the end of December, when we're getting ready to start MAC play, I may voice my opinion on lineup changes.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:29 am

I am not sure if I am remembering this correctly but I think Huger likes to use the first part of the season to play with lineups and see what can happen.

The best case scenario for this team is that Mattos (or Swingle or Gadson) gets good and we have a big man that can dominate.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby BleedOrange » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:47 pm

hammb wrote:
BleedOrange wrote:Many of us are coming to HARD conclusions about players after as single, early season game against a very uncompetitive opponents.

Tough to draw any real conclusions in games against Tiffin & Findlay. Reality is Turner & Zeigler haven't really played enough in either game to really draw any conclusion whatsoever. Other than, I suppose, to say the coaches don't plan to count on them for major minutes.

Kula, Sierra, and Mattos? Tough to draw conclusions, obviously, but let's just say these guys didn't dominate inside the way you'd like to see your frontcourt dominate Findlay & Tiffin. Really, they got manhandled inside by Findlay, which is scary.

Season is young, and conclusions are foolish at this point. But it's an easy observation to say, thus far, the backcourt looks good, the front court looks questionable, and I have no idea who takes Uju's minutes.

FWIW, Mattos did have 15 boards in only 17 minutes.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby hammb » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:55 pm

BleedOrange wrote:
hammb wrote:

FWIW, Mattos did have 15 boards in only 17 minutes.

I'm aware. And he also had several go right through his hands, it was actually one of the first things Huger mentioned postgame when asked about Mattos was that they felt he should have had more boards. He also had several really ugly turnaround hookshot post touches.

I hope the kid keeps improving and makes me look stupid. But it's real tough to get impressed about 15 boards when he was the tallest player on the court by 5", which likely won't happen again this year. Especially coming off a game that he was completely dominated inside by FINDLAY.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops