vs. CMU (2/12)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

vs. CMU (2/12)

Postby mbenecke » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:51 am

Another tricky game coming up. Following a tough one against UT, we now have Central Michigan on the slate. We beat them 97-87 in OT at their place the first time around, so they'll be looking to return the favor in the Stroh on Tuesday night. CMU is 2nd in the MAC West, sitting at 5-5 in MAC play and 16-7 overall, so this will be a challenging, but winnable, contest. I'm looking forward to seeing how this team responds.

Time to bounce back Tuesday night at 7:00pm. I urge you to be there in the seats if you can - show this team that we're not giving up on them.

Go Falcons!
Bleacher Creature. AYA Social Studies Education. BGSU '20. Roll Along!
User avatar
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: Bowling Green

Re: vs. CMU (2/12)

Postby hammb » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:58 pm

I know this isn't ut or buffalo but the crowd is pathetic. I don't think there are 1000 people here
User avatar
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries
 
Posts: 12566
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:21 am
Location: Bowling Green

Re: vs. CMU (2/12)

Postby hammb » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Count the team asking those NOT in attendance this far. Ugh brutal start
User avatar
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries
 
Posts: 12566
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:21 am
Location: Bowling Green

Re: vs. CMU (2/12)

Postby Diemilkweed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 pm

I can't watch the game. It's 23-8 and Wiggins has a 49% usage rate and 2 points.

Are we back to cramming it in to Wiggins while nobody else does a damned thing?

And how does CMU have someone with 6 boards while Wiggins has 1?

What are we doing?
User avatar
Diemilkweed
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: vs. CMU (2/12)

Postby 60yearsofsicsic » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:10 pm

If I was tuning into BG basketball for the first time ... I would be asking why Huger plays such a liability like Wiggins so much... Just saying
60yearsofsicsic
Fledgling
Fledgling
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:17 pm

Re: vs. CMU (2/12)

Postby TalonsDownForWhat » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:05 pm

Why do we continually inbounds the ball into corners late in the game? we trap our own guys
TalonsDownForWhat
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:10 am

Re: vs. CMU (2/12)

Postby kdog27 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:08 pm

=D>
User avatar
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 6535
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Kimberly, Alabama

Re: vs. CMU (2/12)

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:33 pm

79-72 win. It wasn't pretty, and there are definitely things to fix, but this team was tough and won the game in the clutch.

17-7 overall, 9-2 in the MAC, 12-1 at home. Keep coming out to games - it's clear that this team feeds off the energy of the fans.

On to NIU.
Bleacher Creature. AYA Social Studies Education. BGSU '20. Roll Along!
User avatar
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: Bowling Green

Re: vs. CMU (2/12)

Postby Hooper » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:19 pm

Absolutely pathetic turnout especially from the students. No excuse to not support the team.
Hooper
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Re: vs. CMU (2/12)

Postby FalconTurf » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 pm

Hooper wrote:Absolutely pathetic turnout especially from the students. No excuse to not support the team.

And as I walked around the arena I saw food, music and games available to students down on the Court of Champions. More can always be done but the athletic department is making an effort to drum up support for this team. Outside of making attendance mandatory for anyone taking basketball for PE credit or participating in intramural basketball I'm not sure what else can be done. I will say the cheerleaders show enthusiasm, the dance team seems to be all in and the band has grown in size, sound and is quality as always. These three groups represent the students well.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:37 pm

Re: vs. CMU (2/12)

Postby FalconTurf » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:56 pm

This team was frustrating to watch most of the first half and parts of the second half but,..................they seem to know how to win. Might not get the W every night but they certainly did the blue collar work down the stretch tonight. They do take you on an emotional roller coaster over 40 minutes. A little struggle on the boards, sluggish on defense and out of sync at times on offense make this game more difficult that it needed to be but eventually these problems were corrected enough to take over the lead. Nice win, got a good showing in the end.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:37 pm

Re: vs. CMU (2/12)

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:55 am

Low energy and low IQ basketball. Not much movement on offense, passing into corners, bad spacing on offense. And we won!
User avatar
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo
 
Posts: 9481
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:17 am

Re: vs. CMU (2/12)

Postby mbenecke » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:27 am

FalconTurf wrote:
Hooper wrote:Absolutely pathetic turnout especially from the students. No excuse to not support the team.

And as I walked around the arena I saw food, music and games available to students down on the Court of Champions. More can always be done but the athletic department is making an effort to drum up support for this team. Outside of making attendance mandatory for anyone taking basketball for PE credit or participating in intramural basketball I'm not sure what else can be done. I will say the cheerleaders show enthusiasm, the dance team seems to be all in and the band has grown in size, sound and is quality as always. These three groups represent the students well.


Was there really food and stuff on the practice court? Nobody ever said anything about that. Lol. I thought that was a one time thing for Saturday's game. If it had been mentioned more, I think more people would have shown up for it.

The problem with these Tuesday night games is that so few adults show up that students sit in the open seats in the reserved sections with the nice chairback seating. They can choose to sit on a bleacher or a chair, and 9 times out of 10 they're going to choose comfort and a better view over actually sitting on the end, where you're stuck behind the stanchion and you have to turn 180 degrees and crane your neck every time you want to see the video board.

I wish the student section ran behind the benches, along the sideline. The baseline seats just aren't conducive to fostering a great atmosphere for every single game.
Bleacher Creature. AYA Social Studies Education. BGSU '20. Roll Along!
User avatar
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: Bowling Green

Re: vs. CMU (2/12)

Postby hammb » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:10 am

mbenecke wrote:
FalconTurf wrote:
Hooper wrote:Absolutely pathetic turnout especially from the students. No excuse to not support the team.

And as I walked around the arena I saw food, music and games available to students down on the Court of Champions. More can always be done but the athletic department is making an effort to drum up support for this team. Outside of making attendance mandatory for anyone taking basketball for PE credit or participating in intramural basketball I'm not sure what else can be done. I will say the cheerleaders show enthusiasm, the dance team seems to be all in and the band has grown in size, sound and is quality as always. These three groups represent the students well.


Was there really food and stuff on the practice court? Nobody ever said anything about that. Lol. I thought that was a one time thing for Saturday's game. If it had been mentioned more, I think more people would have shown up for it.

The problem with these Tuesday night games is that so few adults show up that students sit in the open seats in the reserved sections with the nice chairback seating. They can choose to sit on a bleacher or a chair, and 9 times out of 10 they're going to choose comfort and a better view over actually sitting on the end, where you're stuck behind the stanchion and you have to turn 180 degrees and crane your neck every time you want to see the video board.

I wish the student section ran behind the benches, along the sideline. The baseline seats just aren't conducive to fostering a great atmosphere for every single game.


Ever watch a game at Anderson? LOL Seriously, best student section and atmosphere anywhere. My only complaint about the STroh was not keeping at least SOME of the premium seating available for students. Obviously it wasn't going to be ON the floor, those seats go to the media/stats guys, but no reason to not keep ONE section of down low seating set for students. Obviously it wouldn't be enough to put 2000 students there, but you could create a scarcity for those premium student tickets to hopefully get more students in there early.

I know it will never happen, they sell all of those seats as premium and those are the sections that typically DO have a lot of people in them. Still, I do wish we wouldn't have stuck all the kids on the baselines.

There were signs at the arena talking about food in the practice court for students, I don't know any details though * shrug*

As to the game itself we just showed up flat. No movement, no spacing on offense. Completely lethargic on defense. Caught in more in more bad switches with Wiggins trying to defend the perimeter. We AGAIN got beaten on the boards by a team we outrebounded last time.

Thankfully in the 2nd half we brought some energy on defense and it translated into some buckets for the offense. Wiggins had 11 rebounds and I bet 7 of them were in the last 10 mins of the game. And we shot wonderfully from the free throw line down the stretch.

I'm not sure we've ever had a more annoying productive player than Demageo Wiggins. The first 30 mins of the game he looked soft as cream cheese. Got destroyed on the glass, was HORRIBLE (as usual) running iso post up, and missed at least 2-3 easy bunnies by not going up with authority. Then down the stretch he started to finally get some boards and was lights out from the free throw line. He made the plays we needed to win, but if you watched that whole game you would have spent a good portion of it wondering why he's on the court.

Also big props to Frye in the 1st half. Had a stretch of 4 threes in a couple minute span that were huge in keeping the game within shouting distance. We were in danger of being run off our own court.

Glad to escape with a win in a game where we spent most of it not playing our best. We need more ball movement, we need more people movement, on offense. And the defense can be very good when they show the desire. I hope they saw last night that if they don't bring that intensity they're going to get lit up.
User avatar
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries
 
Posts: 12566
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:21 am
Location: Bowling Green

Re: vs. CMU (2/12)

Postby mbenecke » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:00 am

My only experiences with Anderson were some high school tournament games growing up and a Harlem Globetrotters game. I know how legendary that building is through stories and "old" videos. As we speak, my laptop wallpaper is a packed Anderson Arena, shot in black and white. What a cathedral for college basketball that place was.

I have especially enjoyed the last few weeks at the Stroh, and while I know that building can't touch Anderson's legacy, I think it is clear that it can be an intimidating place for opponents to come into. If this team keeps winning, I think the students will start to come out more, and that will start to breed a culture of "hey, let's go to the game tonight!" among the student body.
Bleacher Creature. AYA Social Studies Education. BGSU '20. Roll Along!
User avatar
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: Bowling Green

Next

Return to Men's Hoops

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests