State of BG's Roster for 18-19

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

State of BG's Roster for 18-19

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:34 am

I'm just curious about how people feel about the roster for this upcoming season versus last season. Cummings, Caldwell, Koch and Fox are all gone and replaced by Fields, Sierra, Mattos, and we'll go ahead and say Matiss. With Wiggins, Frye, Turner, Lillard and Plowden all back, I think this team should improve, overall, but I tend to be an eternal optimist with BG sports.

I'd really like to see Frye make a big jump because I think the talent is there, but I felt he had a disappointing season where he couldn't put it all together. Wiggins can put some of his feedback from the draft process into motion and Turner and Lillard both have a plenty of talent that we've seen in action. I see no reason this shouldn't be a top four team in the MAC if (IF) they are coached well.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: State of BG's Roster for 18-19

Postby mbenecke » Wed May 09, 2018 12:29 pm

My (probably overly optimistic) expectation is to be a top 6 team in the MAC that wins 20ish games and sees the post-season in some way beyond the MAC Tournament. We need to get to Cleveland this year, and maybe win a game there as well.
Bleacher Creature. AYA Social Studies Education. BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Wed May 09, 2018 12:48 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:I'm just curious about how people feel about the roster for this upcoming season versus last season. Cummings, Caldwell, Koch and Fox are all gone and replaced by Fields, Sierra, Mattos, and we'll go ahead and say Matiss. With Wiggins, Frye, Turner, Lillard and Plowden all back, I think this team should improve, overall, but I tend to be an eternal optimist with BG sports.

I'd really like to see Frye make a big jump because I think the talent is there, but I felt he had a disappointing season where he couldn't put it all together. Wiggins can put some of his feedback from the draft process into motion and Turner and Lillard both have a plenty of talent that we've seen in action. I see no reason this shouldn't be a top four team in the MAC if (IF) they are coached well.

Solid with depth at every position. No superstars, but several players that could make some level of all-mac.

We will improve upon last year's record by 3 or 4 wins.

NEWCOMERS
Laster, 6-1 Jr
Fields, 6-2 Fr
Sierra, 6-7 Jr
Mattos, 6-10 Fr
Mattis, 6-8 Fr

RETURNEES
Frye, 6-2 Jr
Turner, 6-4 So
Lillard, 6-5 Jr
Plowden, 6-6 So
Uju, 6-7 Sr
Gadson, 6-10 So
Wiggins, 6-10 Sr
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby Globetrotter » Wed May 09, 2018 3:25 pm

We lost 4 players. 3 that were in the rotation and 1 that was not. We return our top 4 players, 1 2nd team all MAC, 1 Freshman all MAC, 1 we have seen be able to carry a team despite being inconsistent and one who can lead a team but might have a ceiling and might be slightly playing out of position at PG.

1 Frye 6-2 Jr
2 Turner 6-4 So (r)
3 Lillard 6-5 Sr
5 Wiggins 6-10 Sr

That's the base to build off of, which is excellent.

Replacing Koch: After the big 4 we factor in Plowden who I think gets first crack at the PF position but also sees time at the backup SF spot dues to his athleticism. He is the only other returner who was in the rotation at all last year. I think it's a 3 headed race for starter at PF between Plowden, Kulackovskis and Sierra. To me Kulackovskis looks like a stretch four who will struggle guarding other teams 3's but may pair much better with Wiggins then Koch did because they both won't have to be in the paint. Sierra seems similar but he can bang more. I am not sure what Uju's role is but he was steady when he saw some minutes late in the year. He is strong but not very athletic. This is an upgrade because we have 3-4 options now who fit better next to Wiggins than Koch did.

At Backup C, which Koch also played, Gadson and Mattos should compete to be the primary backup but both could see minutes. I like the upside on both. It's a downgrade for backup center for sure but Wiggins played 28 minutes last year and we don't want that to change. These two can battle over 12 minutes a game and we are in a good place. Mattos can stretch the floor and bang and Gadson can bang a bit and has some athleticism. Both seem to play a bit tougher than Wiggins which should help Wiggins develop that piece of his game.

1 Frye 6-2 Jr
2 Turner 6-4 So (r)
3 Lillard 6-5 Sr
4 Plowden 6-6 So Kulackovskis 6-9 Fr (r) Sierra 6-6 Jr Uju 6-7 Sr (r)
5 Wiggins 6-10 Sr Gadson 6-11 So Mattos 6-10 Fr

Replacing Fox: Kulackovskis can stretch the floor and shoot threes, Sierra showed that as a sophomore and Mattos has shown that as well. We have not had a guy in the paint who can do this for us and now we essentially added three. This will open up the floor for slashers in Frye, Turner and Lillard.

Replacing Caldwell and Cummings
: This is a tough one. Caldwell could have been a very capable backup PG. We replaced him with a veteran in Laster who put up very well rounded stats in Juco and I think can get the minutes that we would want at the position. Frye played 30 minutes a game last year so that leaves about ten if those all come at PG. I am betting that they don't all come at PG though. Fields and Cummings are at least a wash but Fields looks like he has a much more well rounded game.

1 Frye 6-2 Jr Laster 6-0 Jr
2 Turner 6-4 So (r) Fields 6-2 Fr
3 Lillard 6-5 Sr

Overall I would say we are slightly worse at backup C and backup PG but have much more talent and potential all around and the team construction has and will shift by adding 3 bigs who can stretch the floor. We have one more scholarship to give and I would love for it to go to 1 of 5 Guards-SF that we have either offered or shown interest in. I hate the idea of saving a scholarship until next year. Right now we are perfectly balanced with 3 FR, SO, JR and SRs. The last one can be a wild card but I would add a freshman.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Globetrotter » Wed May 09, 2018 8:51 pm

1 Frye 6-2 Jr Laster 6-0 Jr
2 Turner 6-4 So (r) Fields 6-2 Fr
3 Lillard 6-5 Sr

It seems pretty clear that where we lack depth is 2-3 spots. Even if Plowden, Kulackovskis and Sierra can play home, we miss out on some athleticism there. When you look at next year it's clear that there is a hole there ready to be filled by a final recruit. Go get one! We have already offered Mo Murray and I think he might fit nicely there but have not heard anything lately.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Thu May 10, 2018 8:59 am

Just speculating but I bet Sierra starts at the 4, he's like Koch but better offensively. If Laster plays well I could see them going small against teams that don't play two legit bigs and going:
1. Laster
2. Frye
3. Turner
4. Lillard
5. Wiggins

Let Lillard guard the other team's 4. Depending on how Fields handles the ball they could really use a freshman PG.
JohnFloyd4Life
Egg
Egg

Return to Men's Hoops