Transfer

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: Transfer

Postby threestooges » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:38 pm

CrazyFan wrote:
threestooges wrote:I, for one, think the program will be OK & that Huger knows what he's doing

*sigh* ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) You can lead the falcon to its nest, but you can't force it to feed its chicks. Some people will never take off those heavy orange and brown glasses.

Yeah, my bad. I should just spend my time bitching about every BGSU team I'm aware of and blaming the Tillers for everything.

If you're interested in my thoughts (and I'm guessing you're not), I don't think Caldwell or Cummings brought us anything spectacular that can't be replaced easily. I was a little more surprised that Koch left, because I thought he had a chance to help us down the road, but i don't think these transfers are a sign that the program is in a death spiral and that Huger is the second coming of Gene Cross or the Thompson (Ronnie?) that coached at Ball State.

But again, I blame myself for thinking that this web site was for anything but constant bitching about everything. I'll hang up now and listen to the experts like crazyfan (insert eye roll emoji here).
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Burnt Orange » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:19 am

Globetrotter wrote:Koch is a big loss.

Totally agree Globetrotter. Big body underneath and smart player. Big loss to the program.
Burnt Orange
Egg
Egg

Postby drumstix2388 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:58 am

Could be worse. Pitt just lost 8 players to transfer after going 0-18 in the ACC. On the bright side, maybe one of them will find their way to BG.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby gmartin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:46 am

drumstix2388 wrote:Could be worse. Pitt just lost 8 players to transfer after going 0-18 in the ACC. On the bright side, maybe one of them will find their way to BG.

Even worse than that. Arizona has 17 players, 3 are walk-ons. Of the 14 scholarship players 5 will be graduating, 3 going NBA and 4 thinking of transferring. That could leave them with 2 scholarship players.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:18 pm

Burnt Orange wrote:
Globetrotter wrote:Koch is a big loss.

Totally agree Globetrotter. Big body underneath and smart player. Big loss to the program.

He had athletic limitations but he contributed as a Freshman. Really could have been something as a JR and SR.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby BleedOrange » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:42 pm

Koch was special in certain ways, but he had a clear ceiling. Huger was clearly trying to cultivate him for the future. However, we can replace what he would have given us. Gadsen looks talented but a little green - he may emerge and do things Koch could never do. I'm hoping for a good JC transfer front liner to help immediately. We could quite easily upgrade the 4 position with Plowdon or a good recruit.

Oddly, 2 of the highest rated recruits to attend BG in years both had very mediocre freshmen seasons and are transferring (Koch, Cummings). Caleb Fields looks like a very solid addition, but it is disappointing to lose quality PG depth in Caldwell and Cummings.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby Flipper » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:17 pm

If the goal was to be in stasis...a holding pattern...then saying "we can replace what they were" is valid. You're looking to improve year over year...it's easier to do that if you have guys who are maturing and improving. If you're constantly shuffling in three or four new guys every year it's hard to build any continuity...especially since w're shopping in the left over bins to replace guys that were legitimate D1 recruits AND we keep at least on scholarship open every year. Maybe if we used all of them, losing three guys wouldn't seem as catastrophic
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Class of 61 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:36 pm

BleedOrange wrote:Koch was special in certain ways, but he had a clear ceiling. Huger was clearly trying to cultivate him for the future. However, we can replace what he would have given us. Gadsen looks talented but a little green

Oddly, 2 of the highest rated recruits to attend BG in years both had very mediocre freshmen seasons and are transferring (Koch, Cummings). Caleb Fields looks like a very solid addition, but it is disappointing to lose quality PG depth in Caldwell and Cummings.

I wouldn’t put Koch’s season into the “mediocre” category. Not spectacular by any means, but serviceable. Which is why I’m wondering why the transfer. Starting the entire season as a true freshman would seem to bode well for the future, but evidently not in this case. The other two kids aren’t surprising in that P.T. Was limited.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:39 am

threestooges wrote:
CrazyFan wrote:
threestooges wrote:I, for one, think the program will be OK & that Huger knows what he's doing

*sigh* ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) You can lead the falcon to its nest, but you can't force it to feed its chicks. Some people will never take off those heavy orange and brown glasses.

Yeah, my bad. I should just spend my time bitching about every BGSU team I'm aware of and blaming the Tillers for everything.

If you're interested in my thoughts (and I'm guessing you're not), I don't think Caldwell or Cummings brought us anything spectacular that can't be replaced easily. I was a little more surprised that Koch left, because I thought he had a chance to help us down the road, but i don't think these transfers are a sign that the program is in a death spiral and that Huger is the second coming of Gene Cross or the Thompson (Ronnie?) that coached at Ball State.

But again, I blame myself for thinking that this web site was for anything but constant bitching about everything. I'll hang up now and listen to the experts like crazyfan (insert eye roll emoji here).

This has less to do with individual talents -- and more to do with program continuity. You will never have a winning program with this many people shuffling in and out each year. Not even Kentucky, which is getting top 5 recruits all the time, could maintain its elite level with all the player movement it had. Do you really think a program like BG can win when Kentucky couldn't?

Sometimes...the naysayers are right. And in here, the naysayers were dead on when talking about certain football and basketball coaches, and the AD who hired them. Stay in denial, if you like. I'm not one to harsh someone's buzz.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Chick
Chick

Postby guest44 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:06 am

Huger and staff don’t even have enough connections to use all of the scholarships. So how could any of this be addition by subtraction? BG lost 3 and gained 2. That’s 2 or 3 open scholarships in year 4. It’s just pointing out that the program isn’t headed in the right direction.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby fredthefalcon » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Michigan's Ibi Watson just left the program. The 6'5" Watson prepped at Pickerington and BG was one of 10 or so offers at the time. Perhaps, he may choose to come home to a smaller pond. Would have to sit out next year but it's a possibility.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 513256002/
fredthefalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Hibitts...a 6-8 220lb former walk on from SE Michigan has also left UM. He graduates this spring so he can play right away.

C'mon...How fricking hard can it be to find a 6-8" or better guy with some basketball experience who wants a free college education?
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:26 am

Nelly Cummings committed to Colgate University. Smaller school (although VERY good academically) in a historically poor basketball conference, and further from his hometown. Regardless, I'm happy he landed somewhere he feels he can be successful. If he doesn't play basketball beyond college, a degree from Colgate is nothing to sneeze at.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops