Jans now a Head Coach again!

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Jans now a Head Coach again!

Postby OSUFALCON » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:33 pm

New Mexico State hires Chris Jans as their new head coach! In my opinion he is an excellent coach that can motivate players to play above their skill set.
Good luck coach Jans!
OSUFALCON
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Jans now a Head Coach again!

Postby gmartin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:32 am

Hopefully New Mexico State doesn't play at BYU anytime soon.
gmartin
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:16 am

As discussed in the larger "Jans" thread...I think we all wish him well!!
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby drumstix2388 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:40 pm

Flipper wrote:As discussed in the larger "Jans" thread...I think we all wish him well!!

Agreed! I wish him well and success in the future, and am simultaneously glad he's not here. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Also, this story is still around, as seen here: http://deadspin.com/newly-employed-chris-jans-talks-about-being-fired-for-s-1794418577
It's something that will be associated with him forever.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Hdog » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:43 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:
Flipper wrote:As discussed in the larger "Jans" thread...I think we all wish him well!!

Agreed! I wish him well and success in the future, and am simultaneously glad he's not here. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Also, this story is still around, as seen here: http://deadspin.com/newly-employed-chris-jans-talks-about-being-fired-for-s-1794418577
It's something that will be associated with him forever.

I'm for second chances - hope he has success. My impression of Jans - setting aside his big mistake - was that he would have left BGSU early and before we all would have all liked.
Hdog
Chick
Chick

Postby Redwingtom » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:27 pm

He "paid for it dearly" Really?

"I failed THAT night" Really?

Didn't several posters here say this was not a one time event for him. Granted maybe the ass grab was, but certainly not the continual appearance at a bar drinking.

Wasn't that what many said?

He got a nice paying job back at WSU in no time and now he's a head coach again at a school where he's probably making more than what he did here. Seems to me that Bowling Green paid a lot more for his "mistake" than he did!

And no mention at all whether he underwent any counseling or alcohol diversion programs.

I wish him well...but I have a sneaking suspicion this might not be the last we hear of a Jans transgression.
Redwingtom
Redwingtom
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Roll Along! » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Redwingtom wrote:He "paid for it dearly" Really?

"I failed THAT night" Really?

Didn't several posters here say this was not a one time event for him. Granted maybe the ass grab was, but certainly not the continual appearance at a bar drinking.

Wasn't that what many said?

He got a nice paying job back at WSU in no time and now he's a head coach again at a school where he's probably making more than what he did here. Seems to me that Bowling Green paid a lot more for his "mistake" than he did!

And no mention at all whether he underwent any counseling or alcohol diversion programs.

I wish him well...but I have a sneaking suspicion this might not be the last we hear of a Jans transgression.

Jans was making $325,000/year here. Believe it or not, the New Mexico State gig is only $275,000/year. Most assuredly, he was not making nearly that much in the past two years at Wichita State. He's paid a financial price. And it's not a stretch to believe he could be on the tail end of three 20 win seasons here and on to a much larger contract had he not been fired.

Beyond financial, he's paid a price in the embarrassment that's gone along with it. He had to stick his tail between his legs and crawl back to Gregg Marshall for an "analyst" job that I believe paid $100,000 in his first year. If you think he won't hear about that video for the rest of his life, you are crazy.

He's definitely paid a price. I have tremendous doubts over whether he's truly changed his ways. But he deserves an opportunity to prove that he has.
Roll Along!
Egg
Egg

Postby Flipper » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:44 pm

...and he was the butt of a whole slew of jokes...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby hammb » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Jans was a frequent patron at Reverend's. I saw him there at least a half dozen times in his season as coach. Oftentimes he was just at a table by himself.

I never thought anything of it because I was obviously there to see him as well. It's a kick-ass hangout with a great beer selection and some of the best bar food around. Best burgers in NW Ohio by far. Not the same as saying he was hanging at uptown all the time.

Of course I also don't stay there until midnight so it's conceivable he was trashed there on a routine basis, but I never saw anything out of the ordinary prior to the video.

All that said, i wish him the best. I didn't want him here after that incident, but I'm glad he's getting another shot. I hope he's corrected his off field issues.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Class of 61 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:22 pm

Hambb,

What? You don't stay out till midnight any more? Guess being a daddy has reformed you? :)
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Class of 61 wrote:Hambb,

What? You don't stay out till midnight any more? Guess being a daddy has reformed you? :)

Getting old and realizing I'd rather be at home in PJs by midnight is what led to me becoming a dad! :p
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Class of 61 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:01 pm

hammb wrote:
Class of 61 wrote:Hambb,

Getting old and realizing I'd rather be at home in PJs by midnight is what led to me becoming a dad! :p

:), :), :)
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Men's Hoops